Internal Memory Full

adymarsh

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I've just received an update today, that initially asked for 300mb or so. It is now requiring an extra 1024mb/1G. I've moved everything I can to the S.D card. There is still not enough space. I've had to uninstall Skype, WhatsApp and Messenger. Basically everything else is used by the system. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas anyone? From a desperate, considering Android, frustrated Lumia 640XL owner. 😢

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I've just received an update today, that initially asked for 300mb or so. It is now requiring an extra 1024mb/1G. I've moved everything I can to the S.D card. There is still not enough space. I've had to uninstall Skype, WhatsApp and Messenger. Basically everything else is used by the system. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas anyone? From a desperate, considering Android, frustrated Lumia 640XL owner. ������

8gbs isn't a lot of internal space, on any OS. Androids no better. The OS might take less space I maybe?, but the partitioning system eats plenty (android has a cache partition, system partition, recover partition and so on - so you get a small portion of the total space to use for apps. Plenty of hair tearing goes on over on the other side of the fence trust me, when your dealing with smaller internal space. Not fun.

Not being yet a windows 10m user, I have no suggestions (I'm switching to windows 10m soon), but perhaps there is a cache you could clear, or unneeded system files you can delete somehow.

There might also be another way to push the update, like from a PC or disk? If there is, that would be preferable, and there'd be less worry about space.

To be fair though, you might consider a new phone of some sort. 8gb doesn't cut it these days, on any platform. You might not want to hear that, but there it is.

bprashant19

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I've just received an update today, that initially asked for 300mb or so. It is now requiring an extra 1024mb/1G. I've moved everything I can to the S.D card. There is still not enough space. I've had to uninstall Skype, WhatsApp and Messenger. Basically everything else is used by the system. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas anyone? From a desperate, considering Android, frustrated Lumia 640XL owner. ??????

I am pretty sure its temporary files; try cleaning them from storage app.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@adymarsh check your storage in settings, system.. what is taking up the 8gb? I had that problem on my old lumia 625 with 8gb storage but was able to make enough space.

adymarsh

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I've removed everything I can. It now wants over 13024mb?? There's NOTHING else that will uninstall or delete. My phone is less than 2 years old in the U.K. See my attached photos. The rest is being used by the system. The apps that are left CANNOT be uninstalled?? Don't know what else to do. Apart from moving to Android??

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170508_0004.png
    wp_ss_20170508_0004.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 4
  • wp_ss_20170508_0003.png
    wp_ss_20170508_0003.png
    143.2 KB · Views: 4
  • wp_ss_20170508_0002.png
    wp_ss_20170508_0002.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 4
  • wp_ss_20170508_0001.png
    wp_ss_20170508_0001.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 4

faisalbaba

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've removed everything I can. It now wants over 13024mb?? There's NOTHING else that will uninstall or delete. My phone is less than 2 years old in the U.K. See my attached photos. The rest is being used by the system. The apps that are left CANNOT be uninstalled?? Don't know what else to do. Apart from moving to Android??
You should reset your phone

Sent from mTalk

bprashant19

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

can you put a screenshot of phone memory from storage app?

Last edited:

pookie_rabbit

May 9, 2017
Visit site
I've just received an update today, that initially asked for 300mb or so. It is now requiring an extra 1024mb/1G. I've moved everything I can to the S.D card. There is still not enough space. I've had to uninstall Skype, WhatsApp and Messenger. Basically everything else is used by the system. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas anyone? From a desperate, considering Android, frustrated Lumia 640XL owner. 😢

I have exactly the same issue with a 640XL and its driving me mad too. I am a massive Windows phone fan but this is pretty much the last straw for me. I haven't had this phone for 2 years yet and have no intention of having to do hard resets to get an update on.
The problem is I have loads of space on my SD card but the update does not seem to be able to cache on there short term. The low storage seems to be causing problems generally with speed also.
I currently have 7.2GB of 7.28GB used. System and reserved is using 5.69GB and cannot be changed. I have 1.45GB in Apps and Games. Temp files and docs just adds up to about 20MB. Aside from removing WhatsApp and a banking App I cannot move/remove any of the applications.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
By all means, buy an android device if that tickles your pickle. But low internal space =/= Microsofts fault. The problem you are having is that your phones are out of date. If you were android users, you'd also be running out of space. Phones ship with between 16gb and 128gb now.

Personally I think it makes sense, not running a process that could result in a bricked device if failed, via a removeable storage medium. I seriously doubt any mobile OS operates that way.

I'm also not surprised it finds it hard to run on 8gb. It might be nice if you could flash the OS from a PC though, at least that's not something casual users would try, so it would be on you if it failed. However the issue there would be drivers - you would need a current updated full image, and who's going to be making that for old phones? Sure as heck not android OEMS either (a lot of android phones don't get updates on OS, a year after they are released. If you get them two years after, you count yourself very lucky).

With my 8gb storage bb10 device, I had to hard rest to install the latest update. It didn't even have features, lol, it was just a security update, and my phone couldn't handle it. These problems are not unique to you, or windows 10 mobile. I suggest if you want to try and make your current machine work for awhile longer, to do a hard reset. After the upgrade is complete, it should use less space than when installing.

Although it strikes me as odd, that windows 10 mobile users complain about not getting OS updates 3-5 years after there phone is released.

If you buy an android 6 phone right now, odds are, you will never get to see seven. Android users to a little dance of joy if they are amongst the elite who get offered an upgrade. It's actually considered 'newsworthy' when a model gets an upgrade.

Must be interesting having grown so comfortable with ongoing updates and upgrades that it becomes an expectation.

Also, yeah, low storage will cause issues with speed, because all operating systems run a disk cache.

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I currently have 7.2GB of 7.28GB used. System and reserved is using 5.69GB and cannot be changed. I have 1.45GB in Apps and Games. Temp files and docs just adds up to about 20MB. Aside from removing WhatsApp and a banking App I cannot move/remove any of the applications.

Why do you say you can't move any of the 1.45GB in apps and games to SD card? With the storage in settings, you can move apps and games to SD card to give you room on internal memory to process

You can also change your mail sync settings to be very short time and don't download all the attachments and headers fully if you are doing that.

This is just a temporary change for the point of making enough space so that you can process the OS update. When done, move it all back.

On the point about system & reserved... I did the install on a lumia 625 and the System and Reserved was about the same almost 6gb. I didn't check the size after the install, but after hard reset on it.... looking at it now, System and Rerserved is 2.96 GB with OS 15063.251

adymarsh1

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi all.

Many thanks for your replies. As requested here's the screenshot of my phones reserved memory, etc.
I'm debating whether to do a back up, then a hard reset. However I'll welcome any other suggestions.

adymarsh1

Jul 4, 2017
Visit site
@anthonyng

Hi many thanks for yours and all other replies. I've attached the screenshots as requested. I'm debating whether to do a back up then hard reset. I cannot move anything else to SD card. I'll welcome any suggestions though... I think the phone has actually downloaded the update, but hasn't fully installed as it lacks space to do so...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos