Windows 10 home cannot find any files - help!

Aliisza30

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
This happened out of the blue two days ago. Applications do work, but if I click a document (anywhere in the directories) I always get this popup :
''Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\.... -insert whatever thread here- . Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.''
I have tried right clicking and opening and I still get the same popup. I have ran kaspersky and it came up with a no malware/virus result.
I'm not sure how to fix this at all but I really need to access my files , has anyone encountered a problem like this before and successfully managed fixing it?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, do a SMART check on your HDD, if that looks good do a full test with your HDD manufacturer's utility. It is quite possible the drive is failing (happens). If so, try to rescue what you can. Perhaps boot from a DOS disk to see if that helps. It's for situations like this that you make your backups and use File History though, so plan B is to either do a diskpart clean and restore your OS image or reinstall, then recover your files from File History (if your drive tests out OK). If your tests showed a failing drive and a diskpart clean then reformat doesn't help, restore to your new drive which will need to be bought.

Do check your drive connections before spending money though, of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon