Windows update wants to update an old printer driver for a printer I no longer have...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmotorhed

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
I had an old canon printer a couple years ago that I long discarded. I also went through the process of uninstalling the printer driver through the printer section of windows 10 setup as well as uninstalling it through the Canon installed software in the all apps section of windows. I did the best I could to make sure all parts were removed before donating it to a friend. My friend still gets a windows update message indicating that the Microsoft still no longer has an updated version of this canon driver available. To this day, Windows Update still attempts to try to update this ghostly installed driver. Does anyone know where to find this ghostly driver and remove it once in for all? Other than poking around the registry is the only place I haven't tried. I appreciate any advice.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Is the printer listed in the drivers tab of the Print server properties? Go to Devices and Printers in Control Panel, click on any printer, and then click on Print server properties in the bar near the top, in the area where you see Add a device, Add a printer, etc. Go to the Drivers tab and remove the printer if it's there. Another option is the show or hide updates troubleshooter and try to hide the update so Windows Update doesn't try to install it.

pcmotorhed

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
I appreciate the info. I removed what I discovered was the canon ip90 under the print server. It's just the one popping up in the windows update. I thought this would have stopped it. One day later, the windows update popped up again with the same message. "Updates are available. .Canon driver update for Canon iP90. When it tried to update the driver, it indicated, Canon driver update for Canon inkjet iP90. - Error 0x80240017. I tried the show or hide updates troubleshooter but there's no driver to find and hide.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the info. I removed what I discovered was the canon ip90 under the print server. It's just the one popping up in the windows update. I thought this would have stopped it. One day later, the windows update popped up again with the same message. "Updates are available. .Canon driver update for Canon iP90. When it tried to update the driver, it indicated, Canon driver update for Canon inkjet iP90. - Error 0x80240017. I tried the show or hide updates troubleshooter but there's no driver to find and hide.

In device manager, under view click show hidden devices and see if you can locate the offending printer driver. If it's there it should be either greyed out as in hidden, open it and click uninstall you should get a tick box to delete the driver from the system.

I do recall the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2 can remove rogue uninstalls but that often does more damage then good.

pcmotorhed

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
I've tried the device manager as well and removed it from there. I was hopeful that I had removed every trace but I was still greeted by windows update still indicating that it still couldn't find the rogue driver. Maybe Windows Installer Cleanup Utility may be the answer. I appreciate the info.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've tried the device manager as well and removed it from there. I was hopeful that I had removed every trace but I was still greeted by windows update still indicating that it still couldn't find the rogue driver. Maybe Windows Installer Cleanup Utility may be the answer. I appreciate the info.

There is another option, however it also effects all hardware drivers that can be updated through windows update.

In control panel, in the search box in top right hand corner simply type in "device".

You should get a few links pop up under devices and printers. click on change device installation settings and select no when prompted "do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons that are available for your devices?".

Then restart, it should no longer prompt or force install any drivers through Windows Update. Unless of course a KB update or W10 upgrade through WU changes that back to "yes" (default) T_T so do keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk