How to make Windows 10 apps load faster?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
As time goes by, Microsoft replaces its default software by UWP apps (image viewer, calculator, etc). But their loading time is much slower than on previous versions of Windows. The calculator can take up to 20 seconds to load and one cannot open an image in the image viewer and expect it to load in the same hour. It's also quicker to get to my calendar in Chrome than opening the Mail and Calendar app...

I have 4 GB of RAM and an Intel i5 so, normally, that shouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone have a tip to make those apps load faster?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just clicked on the calculator app on my desktop and it opened instantly, this was on an AMD 8 so a slower processor than your i5 so I went through and did the same on my wife's i5 Surface Pro 3 with 4g and it opened instantly and again on a i5 original Surface pro, again instant.

We have had Windows 10 on i3 laptops and an HP Stream 7 and I doubt the calculator ever took more than 1 second to load on that with just 1g and an Atom processor.

I would suggest something is either desperately wrong with your install of Windows or your PC isn't in the best of health, I would consider doing a reset to fix Windows or a bit of diagnostic work on the PC.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Just clicked on the calculator app on my desktop and it opened instantly, this was on an AMD 8 so a slower processor than your i5 so I went through and did the same on my wife's i5 Surface Pro 3 with 4g and it opened instantly and again on a i5 original Surface pro, again instant.

We have had Windows 10 on i3 laptops and an HP Stream 7 and I doubt the calculator ever took more than 1 second to load on that with just 1g and an Atom processor.

I would suggest something is either desperately wrong with your install of Windows or your PC isn't in the best of health, I would consider doing a reset to fix Windows or a bit of diagnostic work on the PC.

Well I have had this problem with many installs of Windows 10 (I used to play around with Linux a lot) but that's something that has always happened. So much so I usually just remove the Windows 10 apps and put back the old Windows 7 image viewer because it's just quicker.

I just tested out the calculator again. Took 7 seconds to be usable.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I have had this problem with many installs of Windows 10 (I used to play around with Linux a lot) but that's something that has always happened. So much so I usually just remove the Windows 10 apps and put back the old Windows 7 image viewer because it's just quicker.

I just tested out the calculator again. Took 7 seconds to be usable.

Do you have clean install of Windows 10? And has it been updated?
What about desktop programs, do they also take a lot of time to load?

And what about other apps like groove music or the video player or even MS Edge?

And finally are the apps updated from store?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
7 Seconds for calculator? WOW. Even my horribly old laptop from 2010 opens it up instantly. In task manager is your disk being used up at 100%?

If you can handle it I would try doing a windows 10 reset and starting fresh. You would need to backup your files to onedrive or elsewhere first. It's in the Update section of settings under recovery.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
To answer both your questions, that happens on fresh installs as well and all the apps are updated. Edge and Cortana are unusable (just loaded Edge to see and it took 15 seconds to open and tabs often freeze completely). Groove is not bad at 2 seconds approximately.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
To answer both your questions, that happens on fresh installs as well and all the apps are updated. Edge and Cortana are unusable (just loaded Edge to see and it took 15 seconds to open and tabs often freeze completely). Groove is not bad at 2 seconds approximately.

There is something strange with your device - that isn't normal behaviour at all
Could you share the specs of your device?

And is the speed of apps opening the same when internet is off?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes