Safe Mode Problem:

orealius

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
This Dell XPS 8930 comes with an Integrated card as well as a dedicated Nvidia graphics card. It cannot go into Safe Mode without removing the secondary dedicated card. It really time consuming and frustrating to have to do this just to get into safe mode! If I disable the Nvidia card through device manager should that get me back into safe mode?

orealius

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
This Dell XPS 8930 comes with an Integrated graphics card as well as a dedicated Nvidia graphics card. It cannot go into Safe Mode without removing the dedicated card. If I disable that Nvidia card in device manager will that default to the onboard graphics card and allow me to go into safe mode?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I believe you'll need to go into BIOS and specify which GPU you wants as the default. If you select AUTO, it usually defaults to the add-on GPU. If you remove the GPU from the motherboard, it will default back to the on-board GPU. If you are using an add-on GPU, select PCI or PCI-E, or external GPU.

If you flat out disable the add-on GPU while it's still inserted into the motherboard, you may not get any video. Or it may just use default drivers and only get you 640x480 video.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Someone suggests:

Apparently there are two set of display connections. An upper vertical set and just below it a horizontal set. The horizontal set is primary and apparently the upper vertical is secondary and only meant to be activated when normal Windows 10 has been booted. Plugging into the lower set allowed me to finally see the BIOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa