Windows 10 Mobile Duo (Just for Laughs but actually works)

The_Mr

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi Community,

Personally I have found it quite sad that Microsoft dropped their Mobile efforts and thus I have been left on the stagnating Windows 10 platform ever since. However; as a means of keeping up to date on this platform, I had decided to upgrade my Lumia 650 with a companion (Also a Lumia 650) with new metal cases and applied them as a dual screen device!

Here are the specs:

2x Lumia 650 - Why? Because I had them and they are slim and light. Best to use the 950 I am sure.
2x Metal Aluminium Mirror Chrome cases - Can be made for the 950's as well.
Both on Windows 10 Mobile 1709 latest update
Both are in Developer mode
Both have 128GB Lexar 1000x MicroSD cards
Both have fully functioning batteries
One is the main phone while the other grabs wifi from the other or elsewhere.
Double Tap wake up as been enable for both as well as the off on the start bar.

So to make this phone as viable as possible in the year 2020, I have downloaded every app that I could think of that could help make my life easier which surprisingly took way longer than I thought it would as there were actually more apps than expected!? Once done I have dedicated one phone to be the Entertainment / Games while the other is the proactive, everyday working device that empowers my daily life. Both have some apps the same for continuity reasons as one device can do one job while the other can do another. Making multitasking a breeze!

For example, I can look up information on the web on one screen while also writing an email on the other. I can share the content in either screen by using the cloud clipboard feature making this seem as much of a single device as possible.

Another example, I can watch Netflix one screen and projecting that to the main TV while still looking at the news and or reply to IM's on the other. Or one can be for Spotify while the other can be my navigation in the car etc. etc.

Oh and in addition, the advantage of having two devices acting as one is where I can record on one screen while taking photos on the other. Both sync with the cloud and end up in the same place. Perfect! I wont miss anything this way.

To keep the phone up to date app wise, I have the app 'PAWA' which works great and thus making a lot of the website PWA based native to the phone. Using the app ‘Monument’, I am able to watch Prime videos as well as the Disney+ content as if it was the native app.

So far I have not been left out with the so called ‘app gap’. I can do everything like I have done before. Even whatsapp still works on my device as a web client app while keeping a virtualized android based device in the cloud hosting just the Whatsapp app. I now prefer using IMO as my main messaging app and then twitter as my secondary.

I showed my idea to Microsoft last year and they found it both hilarious and worrying, but in a good way.

I might make a short vid on this to show how this works in a practical way but only if it is requested. In a way, I hope this idea gives some sort of inspiration to the Microsoft fans out there that still have or wished they were on the platform still.

If you want me to write up tips in more detail on how to keep surviving on this platform then let me know, seeing as we all have the extra more time on our hands right now.

Let me know what you think?

P.S. Sorry if the pictures are not great, they were taken with the Lumia 735 which is all I have to hand right now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• WP_20200411_17_40_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_40_47_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • WP_20200411_17_41_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_41_09_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • WP_20200411_17_41_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_41_25_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20200411_17_41_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_41_51_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • WP_20200411_17_44_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_44_36_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • WP_20200411_17_45_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_45_17_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20200411_17_47_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_47_11_Pro.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • WP_20200411_17_50_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_50_05_Pro.jpg
  • WP_20200411_17_50_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_50_35_Pro.jpg
  • WP_20200411_17_46_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200411_17_46_10_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
This is possibly the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. Right up there with the iPad Mini in an old Mac SE case.

I still have a 1520 with a 128GB card, and an Icon. Both are barely usable as MP3 players. Groove music is such an ugly mess.

I can't imagine using either these days as a functional phone. WAY too much essential stuff missing.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
This is hilarious, it reminds me of that LG dual phone (looks a bit more premium actually XD).

So far I have not been left out with the so called ‘app gap’. I can do everything like I have done before. Even whatsapp still works on my device as a web client app while keeping a virtualized android based device in the cloud hosting just the Whatsapp app. I now prefer using IMO as my main messaging app and then twitter as my secondary.
, I did not thought this was possible lol (I wish I did I still like my 950 XL more than my Android phone :| ).
Can you explain how this works with the virtualized android based device?

This is possibly the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. Right up there with the iPad Mini in an old Mac SE case.

I still have a 1520 with a 128GB card, and an Icon. Both are barely usable as MP3 players. Groove music is such an ugly mess.

I can't imagine using either these days as a functional phone. WAY too much essential stuff missing.
, I think it depends on how much apps you use a phone. I mainly use it for browsing, notes, whatsapp and the camera/photos. The only reason I needed to switch was because of whatsapp stopping support. The rest I find generally much better to do on a tablet or laptop, but if I wanted I could watch netflix / movies on my lumia phone or work on documents etc.
Whatever the case, Android was such a letdown to me, I cannot even toggle which apps run on the background and I have a fairly new Android version (9 iirc) and there is no dark mode for the settings omg. :(

I heard iOS is better at these things so next time it is most likely an iPhone or maybe Surface Duo if it supports UWP apps and the Android shell is improved by MS.

The_Mr

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will create a youtube vid on how the device is used and what apps I use with them as they each have around 150+ apps installed. I am waiting on a few parts from ebay to come in before I do so. Should help clear up a few things :)

I did not thought this was possible lol (I wish I did I still like my 950 XL more than my Android phone :| ).
Can you explain how this works with the virtualized android based device?

Create a free azure account, create a container that has all the dependencies for running a virtual android device, there are many virtual android software online to choose from. Install whatsapp and link it with your phone number and then download the app 'Private social browser' on the windows phone which was previously known as 'Client for Whatsapp'. Read the barcode and away you go. Otherwise, use a cheap supported android device with whatsapp installed and leave it at home simply for that purpose. I tested this with the Samsung A10 and it works fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6