Did Edge lose the context menu on the live tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I remember being able to start a new tab or new inprivate tab by right clicking the tile in the start menu. Now all I see are 3 options - Unpin, resize and More, none of which have those options. Anyone else have this issue?

I am using Surface Pro 7, Windows 10 Home 20H2. Edge Version 88.0.705.81 (Official build) (64-bit).

View attachment 142955

Last edited:

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I still have the additional right-click options: Top Sites, Recently closed, and Tasks (which has the new window and new InPrivate window options). All are there whether it's a tile on Start or pinned to the taskbar or in the app list. You're on the latest official build so that's not it. Are you signed into Edge with an MS account? If not, then try that.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by spicypadthai
I still have the additional right-click options: Top Sites, Recently closed, and Tasks (which has the new window and new InPrivate window options). All are there whether it's a tile on Start or pinned to the taskbar or in the app list. You're on the latest official build so that's not it. Are you signed into Edge with an MS account? If not, then try that.

I am signed in with my MS account. I get those three options on right-clicking the taskbar icon, but not in the start menu tile or app list.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@Sagar Limaye

Did you update Edge recently?

I was curious if these options changed for me and they have not.

Never the less this is quite odd as I have different options... :grincry: for Edge... always thought those were the only options available as it's the same options in the task bar as well.

I'm only signed into select Windows / Microsoft apps.

Windows 10 Pro, 20h2 Build 19042.804.

Edge Options.PNG

This is what I have for Firefox.

Firefox tile options.PNG

Don't use chrome so can't check that.
@spicypadthai did you change any settings in Edge or always had these options?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
@TechFreak1

I didn't change anything in Edge and while I can't say with 100% certainty I've "always" had the options in this screenshot, it's definitely been for a while. Does stuff appear in your timeline (go into Task View and scroll down)? The only thing that's changed recently in Edge for me is the "profile" indicator display on the icon when it's pinned to the taskbar.

Attachments

• Edge right click context menu.jpg
    Edge right click context menu.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 13

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@spicypadthai Prior to a few days ago, I did have Activity History for timeline enabled. I sort of do a "clean" every month end (via disabling the setting) or so otherwise it becomes way too cluttered lol. I have re-enabled it, will monitor if there is any changes as Microsoft has sneakly installed some web apps lol :grincry:. Posting a thread about that shortly.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
@TechFreak1

It shows Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Version 88.0.705.81 (Official build) (64-bit)

Screenshot (3).png
Doesn't matter if I'm in tablet mode or not, I never get the options in start menu tile.

Screenshot (4)_LI.jpg
I get the three sections in the task bar right click menu

So weird... I am signed in too
Screenshot (5)_LI.jpg

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@Sagar Limaye

Did some digging and it could be a number of things - file corruption most likely..

I have come across reporting file corruption in either in the database that stores the tiles, layout in terms of start menu issues related to live tiles but nothing about a specific tile. Fixing either of these files involves creating a new user and copying them over to your main user account...

In your case if either of these files were corrupted then I imagine your start menu would be acting even more funkier than usual lol...

Simple steps / have to ask for clarification.

1)I presume you've unpinned and repinned the tile?

2)Did you try reinstalling Edge?

Since you are signed in, I presume you already syncing your favourites etc. If not, you should do so before re-installing edge (sync settings found under edge settings via elipses menu --> profiles -->sync

I reckon reinstalling Edge may fix the issue and if it doesn't then you could try the start menu troubleshooter - which oddly has been discontinued by Microsoft so your your milage may vary (some people have reported no success).

So you will have to download it from here.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/54211-start-menu-troubleshooter-windows-10-a.html

Other steps you can try:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-problems-with-the-start-menu-604171c1-2c65-40a6-8774-473810765950

Let us know how you get on.

P.S in terms of editing screenshots, paste them into paint after using the snipping tool (if you find the canvas is too big, grab a corner before pasting and shrink it down to small as possible, then paste) and use the cropping tool to delete the info you wish to obscure.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
@TechFreak1

The issue has magically resolved on its own now

yes I tried unpinning and pinning the tile

No I did not reinstall Edge

I'm glad it got resolved without me having to delete my account. Installing all my apps would have been a pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3