Windows 8 not for non-touch screens? WRONG ANSWER

anilraj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Contrary to the popular belief, Windows 8 is equally good with mouse and keyboard.

Touch - Good
Desktop (Keyboard + Mouse) - Good
Laptop (Keyboard + track pad) - Bad

I have Windows 8 desktop.
How easy is it to find apps / programs.
Just start typing.
And it starts a search and puts the characters there.

Moving to start menu - WinKey.
Or move the mouse to the left.

Those are simple examples.

Want charms bar?
Move the mouse to right.

Closing apps?
Pull the top of the app, and drag it down.
Easy as you do the swipe.

The problem is with track pad laptops.
Just imagine how will you drag the app down using your track pad.
It is tough.
Even though you can use Alt-F4 to close, using the track pad mouse is difficult.

It is this problem which has been blown into such a big mess.

Again:
Touch - Good
Desktop (Keyboard + Mouse) - Good
Laptop (Keyboard + track pad) - Bad

cashcar1979

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Win8 is good..needs refinement bit what OS doesn't?

Xbox Music/Video and the Win8 phone app are trainwrecks though. This is shy Sinofosky was axed. They are massive steps back from Zune. I just use Amazon now though...and advise everyone else to do the same.

rwcrossman

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 8 pro installed on my gaming rig. I have no complaints, I love the fast boot times and it uses a lot less ram then win 7 did on my machine.

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all of the above. I have 8 installed on a touch screen laptop ( a yoga) an old non touch screen one ( 5 year old vaio which has had a new lease of life since windows 8!) and a non touch screen desktop with two monitors and a mouse.

Its actually amazingly nice to use with a mouse and a combination of keyboard shortcuts, mouse and touchscreen is by far the most productive. And yes, on a trackpad alone it is worst. Still useable but it is SO good on touch and mouse that it cant compare.

Overall I am seriously loving it. The apps are gorgeous and it works SO well on multiple monitors ( I tend to use metro apps on my second screen for news and emails and chat with the desktop on my maint screen as I use non touch CAD programs which Re probably years away from being metro-fied unfortunately.

I could go on and on with the glowing reviews but to summarize. All the bad reviews are quite literally ridiculous. Try it and you can't help but see it is the future. And you can also see why, unforutantely, Microsoft had no choice to go with a metro/ desktop mix as they wait for program developers to make their apps touch/ metro friendly.

Its a pleasure to use after a week of getting to grips with it.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Good for you guys. I still don't like Windows 8 on my computer.

Metro Apps have huge buttons with little functionality, I see how they can work on a tablet or a small laptop, but it's just terrible on a 24 inch screen. Same goes with the lack of right mouse click in the start menu. I like my mouse, but for a simple action I don't want to move it like crazy over the entire screen. The fast opening for files that was available in the Win7 start menu is just gone. (It's okay if your app is in the task list, then you can open it similarly with right click, but still, I don't want to pin every app.) Dual screen is really, really crappy. All that was improved in comparison to Win7 are the different wallpapers on each screen. Why can't I attach a Window to the right of my left screen? And I find it awkward to open charms at the screen-screen interface, the mouse just tends to move to the other screen.

I have written this before, I love WP8 on my phone, I think I'd like Windows 8 on a tablet (I don't see what a tablet is for, so I don't get one) but I really, really don't like Windows 8 on my desktop system. It's just like Windows 7 with a few additions that are not really implemented but just put onto it, and Metro apps just don't work for me on a productive desktop system.

...and no, I want to buy neither a touch mouse, nor a touch screen.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Good for you guys. I still don't like Windows 8 on my computer.

Metro Apps have huge buttons with little functionality, I see how they can work on a tablet or a small laptop, but it's just terrible on a 24 inch screen. Same goes with the lack of right mouse click in the start menu. I like my mouse, but for a simple action I don't want to move it like crazy over the entire screen. The fast opening for files that was available in the Win7 start menu is just gone. (It's okay if your app is in the task list, then you can open it similarly with right click, but still, I don't want to pin every app.) Dual screen is really, really crappy. All that was improved in comparison to Win7 are the different wallpapers on each screen. Why can't I attach a Window to the right of my left screen? And I find it awkward to open charms at the screen-screen interface, the mouse just tends to move to the other screen.

I have written this before, I love WP8 on my phone, I think I'd like Windows 8 on a tablet (I don't see what a tablet is for, so I don't get one) but I really, really don't like Windows 8 on my desktop system. It's just like Windows 7 with a few additions that are not really implemented but just put onto it, and Metro apps just don't work for me on a productive desktop system.

...and no, I want to buy neither a touch mouse, nor a touch screen.

Everyone's view is subjective. Personally I've found Windows 8 to be great on my twin monitors (19" widescreen and 17" non-widescreen). I will admit it does seem much better on touch though, hence why I'm planning to get twin 22" monitors of which one is touch. I would love to see Windows 8 on a 60" TV though

I have no problems using it on my laptop.

I've BootCamped it onto my MacBook Pro (so you KNOW it isn't a touch-screen). Works okay. Sometimes a bit clunky trying to close apps on the trackpad though (bear in mind my trackpad is all one big button). But still a good enough experience for me.

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded Windows 8 about a week ago and I must say...I don't see why some people are fussing about it. I found it very easy to navigate with a mouse and keyboard shortcuts but I did immediately notice that it seem optimized for touch so....I bought a Logitech T650 Wireless Touchpad that mimics the touchscreen gestures and what hoot this is! I use a 27 inch monitor for editing in Photoshop so I still use a mouse for that work but everything else is all touchpad!

And to the gentleman who remarked that Win8 is easier on RAM than Win7, tell me about it! The OS seems optimized to take full advantage of multi-core processors.

Dang, hate to sound like a ****** but I really like Windows 8 and I think when more people give it a try and start playing around with it they will too.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Dual screen needs some serious work. Maybe I am doing something wrong but if I have a desktop app open on my non touch 27" screen, then open a metro app on my touch start screen 22" everything stays open on both monitors. I can work in the metro screen and watch my video playing on VLC legacy program on my desktop screen. But, if I want to pause my video to watch a quick video on my metro screen browsing the web it will throw my metro screen into desktop mode as well. So if I touch anything on my desktop screen my metro screen disappears. Now to get back into my metro app, I can either alt+tab or swipe in from the left. Swiping in from the left is easy on touch but I am using a mouse. So my edge is between desktop mode and metro mode. So I bring the running app list up but if I move too far left while moving down to the app I want, that menu disappears and I have to try again. Same problem if I had metro on the left screen and desktop on the right screen. When I try to bring up the settings charm and move too far right it disappears and have to try again. Very frustrating but really my only complaint about win8. Dual screen needs help.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 is great, but it's a 1.0 of a new thing so obviously there are a lot of rough edges. Even before it came out we knew there would be a refresh after a year to greatly improve things. 8.1 is much better, and 8.2 or 9 or whatever comes next will help even more. Dual and split screen metro stuff is much better in 8.1. 8.1 is great except it does away with universal search, which I liked. But now there is useful metro multitasking and metro can be on both monitors at the same time, which is great. In fact, with the split screen stuff some things are better for multitasking than the old desktop. The desktop made you micromanage window position if you didn't just leave everything maximized. 8.1 metro handles multitasking in logical ways, like if you click a link in an email, it divides the screen in half so you can see the email on the left and the webpage on the right, whereas the old desktop would cover up Outlook with a browser window and you'd have to alt tab back, after waiting for the page to load and maybe using it and forgetting to check the rest of your email. Clicking on links in emails is an annoying break in workflow in traditional windows. Now you can click the link (like in a promotional amazon email) and let it load on one side of the screen while moving on to the next email in the email app side of the screen.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with laptop + keyboard + touchpad is bad. My Acer S3 touchpad supports gestures such as edge swipe, pinch, zoom, scrolling, etc.

I used Windows 8 developer preview on this before I purchased Surface.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa