Installed Windows 8.1 this weekend

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
All i can think of is that a lot needs updates. Which may well come before official launch. As i said there are still some issues with the beta and apps in that. Sorry i cant help any further, just don't write off 8.1 yet

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
This is not the beta. This the official RTM release on TechNet now. Same bit being released on new machines for October. Just 13 days away.
In case anyone missed and wants to comment on my moms basement or my grammar.
Here is the original post. Recursive, I know. But that is how some conversations go.

Downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 on my PC this weekend. I am totally convinced this is the most awfulest (More awful than worst!) POS in creation.
Steve Balmer should have not only resigned, he should have killed himself for letting this POS out of the factory!

Installed 8.1 64bit RTM from TechNet, clean install. Multiple apps and games crash or fail. Netflix will not run in native application, stalls at 21% loading. In IE Silverlight will not run in 64 bit. Had to run Netflix in Firefox. In tile mode none of the applications allow any interaction outside of app, ie share articles, copy/paste.
I wanted to like W8. I'm not sure anymore.

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 on my PC this weekend. I am totally convinced this is the most awfulest POS in creation.
Steve Balmer should have not only resigned, he should have killed himself for letting this POS out of the factory!

Go get yourself a Mac and OSX and be happy. There is no point in torturing yourself and us convincing you about Windows 8.

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Tapatalk

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 on my PC this weekend. I am totally convinced this is the most awfulest POS in creation.
oh my god, lmao xD

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
8.1 works fine for me. I haven't tried games but Netflix works great. As expected from a second version of a new interface, it has many great improvements to the UI as far as Metro is concerned.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am expressing annoyance with an operating system.
What's wrong with that?

What is wrong with it is the fact that you initially presented an offensive tantrum and then supplemented it with ill informed and inaccurate information, some of which suggests something went wrong during the installation or you simply do not know what you are doing and should have waited for the actual release. Guess what? Installation errors actually happen on occasion and they are even more likely when you choose to install either a leaked version or the RTM prior to OEMs finalizing drivers and app modifications.. For the record though, you do not need to run Netflix in Firefox and Silverlight does install in a stable version of the OS. Of course, you do not need to use any browser for Netflix with 8.0 and 8.1 - there is an app with more robust functionality. In fact, the app offers greater functionality than my most recent experience on an android tablet and makes the Roku version look absolutely crippled. Copy and paste certainly also does work between applications and there are an array of options if you open the charm bar and choose share as well. Beyond that, the vocabulary includes not just obscenity, but "awfulest." If you were using Windows 8 or 8.1, IE 10/11 would have told you the word does not exist. In fact, the built in spell checker/auto complete in 8.1 should have even given you suggestions. Oh, it is also NEVER appropriate to wish death on another person. At the very least, it speaks of immaturity and callousness inappropriate in civilized discussion.

Last edited:

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
The Netflix application stalls at 21%. I believe that was in my original statements. Statement about Balmer was rhetorical. As in fall on his sword, like he kind of did!
Silverlight will not install on the 64bit of Internet Explorer,which comes with the OS.
All of my hardware, mouse, printer, monitors, scanner work fine. I didn't have problems with drivers that I know of.
On the "normal" windows side of things every works fine. Apps from the new tiled Start screen are unusual in that, while they are very informative., there seems to be no way to copy, paste, or share outside of the applications and several games now crash.
I haven't used any obscenity and I made up awfulest, just because. See my spell checker underlined it in red.
Ok, I got the share part from the charms bar. Thanks for pointing that part out. I was wondering how to do that. Non intuitive.
After I gave up on copy, I found it, does work, kind of, with persistence.

Last edited:

tofnow

May 29, 2013
Visit site

8.1 works well for me. This is being typed on it right now in a VHD installation. Even my old Access 97 databases work fine. I might stumble over some things that don't do as well but so far, all is go.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
8.1 works well for me. This is being typed on it right now in a VHD installation. Even my old Access 97 databases work fine. I might stumble over some things that don't do as well but so far, all is go.

Normal applications work fine. I had several "Apps" from my Windows 8 installation, which 8.1 installed from my profile. Most of them crash to a little tab on left side of screen. Unable to open any of them.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Normal applications work fine. I had several "Apps" from my Windows 8 installation, which 8.1 installed from my profile. Most of them crash to a little tab on left side of screen. Unable to open any of them.

I had this problem too - We might be getting to the root of your problem - can I ask did you attempt to update the "apps" before doing windows updates?

When I did my install I tried to update all my apps before the updates for windows. This caused all the apps to hang and crash. After doing a "refresh my pc" I did all windows updates first before anything else then let all the apps update after. Haven't had any issues since.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
LOL....another person who think they are an expert slamming W8 because of their personal experience which was hindered by their own fault.

Look you downloaded and install a preview. It's not even actual retail release. So of course apps won't run perfect, there will be issues, and drivers aren't fully optimized yet. What did you expect for installing a OS that isn't even officially released? I've been running 8.1preview since day 1 and I haven't had that many issues. Netflix app doesn't work...but that is Netflix fault....or mine since I'm expecting an app to work that isn't really supported yet. I play all my steam games with no hickups. My girlfriend is running it on her Dell Inspiron 1525 from 2006...runs great! No issues.

So beyond any software issues that are out of your control, any GUI complaints you might have are your personal opinion. If you haven't used W8 before W8.1...then take time to get used to it. Many things will become second nature just as the previous OS you were using.

BTW comments like Balmer should die are a bit childish don't you think?

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site

I have upgrade to 8.1 from my technet account as well and aren't having the problems you are. I don't see how you are having problems with 8.1 if you were not having problems with Windows 8 before. It's not like this is an totally new operating system but a incremental update that added new features and corrected some mistakes. I don't even see why you did a clean install either IMO, I popped the USB thumb drive install I made in my computer and boom it upgraded and keep all my stuff I had installed already as well(Both programs and Apps). Ten minutes and it was done on my custom home made desktop PC's, i.e. 2 computers no problems.

Microsoft app store loads up way faster now including running the apps. Everything nice and stable with no driver incompatibilities. I'm not convinced you even got it from technet IMO I think you have a bootleg copy. If you do have a authentic technet install then you just f-uped your install and have some programs that aren't to windows 8 liking or drivers that are really unstable which are the main two things that mess up installs and causes OS problems anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes