Skype...Grrr

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've decided I officially hate Skype for Windows [It's officially official]. I can't throw in iOS or Android versions in there as well as I'm not as familiar with them, but I can confidently say that the experience is pretty terrible on Windows. And it's mostly the interface. Oh it's abysmal. It takes ages to navigate around Skype. Searching for contacts is abnormally sluggish, editing settings is archaic. The UI looks like it was pulled directly from Windows XP then careened into something vaguely "Modern" with a rather large amount of velocity. I've never been a huge Skype user but I don't see how I could be.
Is there a Skype revamp coming soon or am I missing something? For the most part, Microsoft apps look and feel pretty great. They match (mostly) and there's only a few hundred tiny UI annoyances. But it's still an improvement on Apple. But I just can't get around Skype. And it's also pretty darn buggy.
And quitting Skype is near impossible! I understand it being open in the background when you close it, but "quitting" Skype does nothing. Closing just minimizes (which I understand) but right-clicking and actually hitting "Quit Skype" does absolutely nothing and signing out then trying to quit does nothing either. I had to restart my machine just to get Skype to actually quit instead of just minimizing. Frustrating beyond anything.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Yep, Skype seems to be an empty promise. I never used it before Microsoft bought it, so I can't comment on how it worked back then.

The Windows Phone version just plain sucks. Calls won't go through. Pixelated video streaming looks like webcam video from a 1998 56K modem. It's plain horrible.

I switched and tried ooVoo which is now available for Windows Phone. Seems to work a whole lot better. I can actually call somebody and have it ring. Image quality is okay, but at least it works. They have a desktop version too. You might want to give it a try. It's free.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2