Windows Store apps icons missing

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have been fooling around with the app icons in windows 10 a little, trying to make them match. To do this for apps coming from the windows store, I was supposed to take ownership of the windowsapps folder, which I did. After switching a couple of icons with my own, I changed everything back to normal, putting trustedinstaller back in charge of the folder.

Then the first weird thing happened: I wasn't able to launch any of the apps downloaded from the windows store, like mail, groove music, spotify and even the windows store itself. They would seem to start, but then immediately shut down again. Luckily, after doing some research, I managed to get all apps except bing weather working again. Problem solved, I thought.

But then I noticed the icons of windows store apps were missing in the start menu. The colored squares were still there, just without the icons in them. I didn't have any idea of how that happened and I still don't.

Now I've tried a couple of things, like rebuilding the icon cache and running sfc/scannow in command prompt. Neither solved the problem, so I'm still left with empty squares in my start menu.

Does anybody have an idea of what the problem might be and if there is a solution?

By the way, I'm on a surface pro 2017 running windows 10 build 15063.483.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12