I'm not feeling the love Microsoft.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I have said this in a different thread but I just feel like MS doesn't want me as a customer. Its as if they see me buying one of their products and to chase me away they end up discontunie that product.

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Zune, then Groove. Microsoft Band then Windows Phone. Ugh. What is next? I hope not XBox video. Since I was forced to move to Android I keep waiting for an app. No app is shaking what little faith I have left.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Get excited about Microsoft's rumored new developments? Let me see. I got excited about and bought: Surface RT, Band, Lumia 930 Windows Phone, Groove Music Pass. So, um. No. Mixed Reality? Foldable Always Connected Thingy? If MS is still supporting the 4th iteration of these things, maybe I'll look at it then. But meanwhile, I've been forced over to Android and am not using Outlook - it sucks. Not using Arrow launcher. Not using Skype. Only using OneDrive because that is where all my files are. But who knows when MS will drop OneDrive, and I'll have to make one more transition.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess time will tell whether they are making good or bad decisions. While we feel bad about the lack of mobile especially, and don't feel that they are pushing their innovative technology and are letting others walk away with entire new markets, time has shown that technology changes rapidly and they have a lot of cash to innovate so are far from dying as a company. As a developer, it has been even more demoralizing than it has been for consumers... the lack of consistency, quality and apparent commitment to a frequently changing vision is very frustrating. But times are changing and we have to move with the times. There is some truth to the cloud first vision where OS is less important, but we're only starting to get there.

Time has shown that we should simply enjoy new technology as it comes along from different companies that are big for a season. Getting too centric around one company will always end up in disappointment despite our natural emotional attachments. Enjoy life, enjoy technology. Enjoy freedom and choice.

Victor Harshman

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
It's been a long run trying to keep convincing myself that Windows mobile is special and telling family and friends that my phone can do the same things that there's can but I must say I'm throwing in the towel finally.
I've enjoyed being one of the few running this UI and have had numerous people come up to me and ask me what kind of phone I have, so it's been fun. I even used to go into AT&T stores and strike up conversations with the employees about Windows phones and they would tell me nobody uses those phones anymore and that I should get a Android or IPhone. Then I would take out my Icon running preview builds of Win 10 and proceed to walk through all the cool stuff this phone could do like OneDrive, Office 365, Cortana ,One Note, Groove, then I would log onto their computer with my Microsoft account and show them how all these services synced form my phone to the computer in front of them and they would be blown away by how cool this phone really was.
I'm one of the last diehards left but I think now is the time. I just bought a new car and have come to the realization that there is no Microsoft car play and there never will be and that's the deal breaker for me; as much as I have bashed Google for years I am going to have to succumb to getting a Android phone which to be honest seems kind of liberating. I will finally be able to get those apps that I've been wanting but just weren't there for Windows phones and with all of Microsoft's apps and services now on Android I wont be missing much.
I'm still somewhat optimistic about the Surface phone but I'll wait and see, I think it's too late now
and the Windows store is just to far behind still no apps.
I think the one thing I'll miss most is finding kick *** phones like my Alcatel Idol 4 S for 99$.
Good luck to all the fans

Nayden

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Have you watched the movie Like.Follow.Share (2017)? Why someone would waste money on marketing in case the product is already dead? Interesting to know :shocked:

PhilBE

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Stop being defenders (been there) and enjoy using it while it last, if it's no longer there move on to other things that you can enjoy. Personally i have L830 till it dies and then we will see what is on the market. If MS has something to offer on that moment and I like it, ill be all in again

Nayden

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
As I am a former Nokia user since the dawn of cell phones, I have decided for myself, and if let's say WP is completely done tomorrow morning, at noon going to have Nokia 8

mvierling

May 19, 2008
Visit site
What Microsoft (read Satya Nadella) fails to realize is that the younger generation is being raised on Android, iPhones, and iPads. Schools are requiring iPads for students, not computers. Kids are starting to grow up never having to use a Windows computer. When they eventually transition to the workplace, they're going to be demanding Macs and iPhones, not anything Microsoft. This is the path we're on and it will take a monumental strategy change from Microsoft to alter paths. Nadella is too focused on cloud "anything" to think about anything else. Microsoft is headed to be the next Novell which is truly ironic since Microsoft is what caused Novell to be irrelevant.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
“Schools are requiring iPads for students, not computers.”

I have news for you. An iPad IS a computer. It’s just not running any Microsoft software. I realize that most folks here think “computer” is defined as a WinTel PC with a mouse and a keyboard, and anything else is a toy. But that is a hopelessly outdated view.

Current phones have more power than “PCs” of 15 years ago. 6 and 8 core CPUs with 4GB of RAM and a 64 bit OS? PCs were nowhere near that 15 years ago.

Plus the fact that a 4GB iPad will run circles around any Windows device with 4GB. 4GB on an iPad is a LOT. On Windows it is the bare minimum.

Time to get out of this myopic mindset of what a “computer” is.

jj25usa

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Microsoft is dying, if they don't get their Apps sorted out they will be dead in 10 years. There isn't a Dev shop out there that hasn't said if it doesn't run on Edge just download Chrome. Also how many people have heard it's not available on Windows only Android or IOS. Microsoft might live but in ten years they will be missing a few legs and maybe even an arm or two if they don't start making more apps.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Nadella was formerly head of the Cloud division. It only makes sense that he would prioritize those services and despite his proclamation that "mobile first" was a priority he has failed to live up to his promises

omarkazi

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft knows how to focus now under the new CEO. I love the rapid development of Windows 10 OS for laptop/tablet/pen/Dial/VR.
Groove was great but MS should invest in Spotify and integrations for ease of use.
Kinect is really hard to develop for and 3D cameras are now mainstream from Intel on laptops.
MS band 2 was great but MS should invest in Fitbit and develop new features.
Microsoft is really improving its mobile apps on Android and iPhone and I LOVE IT !
Going in the right direction, IMO.
Go Microsoft !

Shobiz

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I read this article a week and ago and brushed it off. Today, I agree with the OP. Last weekend, I got an iPhone X. The quality of the Microsoft apps on iOS was jaw-dropping. I couldn't believe the polish on those apps when you compare to the same apps on my Lumia 950. Unacceptable Microsoft!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Demanding is a strong word!
You don’t think eventually things will change? It’s already leaning that way. Give in to the force! Haha.
Of course things will change and I will change along with them. But in the meantime I'll be damned if some entitled little puke comes to me demanding anything when they haven't made their bones yet.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Of course things will change and I will change along with them. But in the meantime I'll be damned if some entitled little puke comes to me demanding anything when they haven't made their bones yet.

Who says it’s an “entitled little puke”? While I agree the other posters comment was overstated, the point is businesses will be forced to change over time by societal changes.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Who says it’s an “entitled little puke”? While I agree the other posters comment was overstated, the point is businesses will be forced to change over time by societal changes.
He/she was talking about kids in school having iPads required and eventually transitioning into the workforce "demanding" iPhones, etc. Maybe I'm having a Geritol moment but new hires are in no position to demand anything.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
He/she was talking about kids in school having iPads required and eventually transitioning into the workforce "demanding" iPhones, etc. Maybe I'm having a Geritol moment but new hires are in no position to demand anything.

I think you can look at it different ways.
The old way is I hired you, you need this job and I’ll tell you what to do. Many of those companies have failed because this method doesn’t work in “most” modern environments.
The new way is to understand what this new generation brings, which is different, and utilizing their talents to be successful in today’s modern environment. Rather than force them to use a system they did not grow up with and know little about, perhaps collaborate and integrate systems that they are familiar with and know more about than many of us old folks.

BTW, all the snow is melted off my front lawn. I know you’ll understand this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon