Anyone want me to try one of these out?

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Im sure many of you guys are a little skeptical of the LG underdog.

Since i have access to these phones, does anyone want me to open one up and try it out for a bit and post back impressions?

SharkSkin

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That'd be cool being that there seems to be a lack of reviews out there. I was messing around with one at an At&t store the other day and I really liked the feel of it. The physical keyboard was really nice and the matte finish was very nice as well. It was a bit on the heavy side, but not something that I would really mind carrying around. I would probably get one depending on how its reviewed and whether or not people have any major issues with it.

Rancorbeast

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually I have one :)

Bought it last week and been loving it ever since.

Quick pros and cons (even though we can't really compare hardware since it's all the same really...

Pros:
-Feels very solid and well built
-Hardware keyboard feels great

Cons:
- Sorta heavy (not really a con since it's because of the keyboard)
- The camera button is sorta hard to use because it makes the screen slide up when pressing it (hard to explain sorry)

Semi cons (a.k.a thing not really about the phone but I feel like ranting about anyway.)
- NO ZUNE MARKETPLACE HERE IN CANADA... no matter how I try to explain it... there is no credible explanation that would explain why I cannot buy music from Microsoft.
- No local syncing with Outlook (my workplace thinks terrorists will hack us and steal our cafeteria menu off our intranet if we dare to expose our exchange server to the interweb !!)

Give me a shout out if you have any questions !

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes MarcMaiden, please do a review for us. I know other tech websites don't like this phone because it's not "cool", but we, in Canada, don't have many choices when it comes to WP's. I'm currently with Bell, but I'm thinking of changing to Telus because of the Optimus. I'd like to read a review though before making a decision.

Thanks.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey Marc, I just bought one off the Amazon Wireless sale, but won't be getting it until the 23rd. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it - also, if you (or anyone else can tell me how to transfer my text messages over from my current Samsung Jack to the Quantum, I'd greatly appreciate it!)

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply its been crazy at the store but I finally got some one on one time with the phone and really tried it out.

As far as performance goes, the phone works as well as any other phone thanks to microsoft writing the OS to take use of the snapdragon processor it uses :)

I think the biggest selling point of the phone is its build quality and keyboard. I am not one for keyboards, but this phone has such a nice keyboard that i wouldnt mind owning and using one of these. The buttons were well places, spaced, and had good feedback with each press.

I have not had a chance to try out any of the DLNA services however if it works as well/better than the "allshare" samsung has, then you guys will have no problem there. I remember engadget saying that it was the best DLNA service they have seen on a phone to date.

Those of you who strive for battery have no fear. The phone seems to have very very good battery, and handled my tests with no problem what so ever. With the half charge it came with (with out calibrating the battery) I was able to fully play around with it (video, apps, music, internet, texting) for a good couple of hours and still having plenty of battery to last the rest of the day with normal use. I believe this is due to the smaller touch screen.

The screen quality is good. The high resolution on the smaller screen makes the text look very good, however it does not have as vibrant colors as the focus, and is not quite as bright as the surround. This does help the battery greatly though, I would imagine.

The call quality is very very good. the ear speaker can get loud with out distort, and the while the loud speaker isnt as loud as the surround (for obvious reasons) it gets the job done, and is very usable.

at the end of the day, if you are looking for a good smart phone with an exceptional keyboard, I highly would recommend this phone to you. LG has also bundled up a lot of free apps with its phone which also adds to the value. You can find these phones online at amazon or walmart for dirt cheap, which makes them an even more compelling offer.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey Marc, I just bought one off the Amazon Wireless sale, but won't be getting it until the 23rd. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it - also, if you (or anyone else can tell me how to transfer my text messages over from my current Samsung Jack to the Quantum, I'd greatly appreciate it!)

Eggleston, Not quite sure how to transfer text messages. Maybe you can find an Windows Mobile 6.1 app that will do it for you? So far I haven't found anything on the internet but ill ask my coworkers today and see what I can find

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Marc - I get the feeling there isn't any hope for my texts except that I'll still be able to see them online using MyPhone's website. This is why I posted the MyPhone-esque idea in the other thread, which I'm glad you liked and I appreciate you helping all of us out!

Regarding your review - awesome and thanks! A question for you though - how do I know if my pc/tv/whatever is "DLNA-able"?

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Marc - I get the feeling there isn't any hope for my texts except that I'll still be able to see them online using MyPhone's website. This is why I posted the MyPhone-esque idea in the other thread, which I'm glad you liked and I appreciate you helping all of us out!

Regarding your review - awesome and thanks! A question for you though - how do I know if my pc/tv/whatever is "DLNA-able"?

All PC's are DLNA-able. If you are running windows 7, you can use Media center/Windows media player/homegroup (all of which are included in windows) to access your files/music/videos from your PC (which is what DLNA is essentially)

For TV, if your TV has wifi built in (or an ethernet port) then there is a good chance it is DLNA-able. For a TV's purpose, you would use your phone as the server (which the LG DLNA software does automatically for you) to play music/pictures/videos from the phone to the TV. Google search your TV model to be sure.

If you have an Xbox/PS3, you can access files/music/video/picture from Phone to console or console to phone which is an included feature in both consoles.

The DLNA software on the LG phone makes this all very easy, and you really have to do next to no configuring. Just make sure you are connected to WIFI from the phone when you use it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon