New phone, does not receive 2G EDGE signals, only works on HSPA

prat23

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Just bought the nokia 800 a couple of days ago and already ran into a major problem: my phone only works on 3g HSPA, if the 3g signal becomes very low as is usual for my area, it sits there with no service at all instead of switching to 2g. Other phones get full 2g signals on the same network sitting right beside it.

1. I've already tried to reset the phone which i hated after all the logins in different apps.
2. tried ringing it from another phone (as suggested online) but no luck
3. tried changing the highest connection speed under mobile network settings to 2g (E) only, but then it neither gets 2g nor 3g signals (no service).
4. tried different sim cards but its the same.
5. tried making a call but as expected- nothing.

Can anybody throw some light on the issue? I've come across threads with no service problems but not anything with this particular issue.

prat23

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Squachy, however, i have returned the phone now with utter sadness and got a refund. And i am wary of buying one again owing to other reports of no service for the phone... which is sad because i really liked it.

l33tish

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Tbh this sounds like you have not got a correct regions phone.
Aka your in the USA using T-mobile which uses a band only on 800's for the USA, not EU which dont support the band and instead support another.
The band I think affects 2G reception but not 3G if you say were EU and got a USA model by mistake.
Its a pity you dont have it still as its possible to check on the box I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos