Possible switch from Android

jaleesag88

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy s4 and I'm thinking of switching to the HTC 8XT. What do you guys think? I have never owned a Windows phone or tablet. I currently have the s4 and I also use a MacBook Air. I didn't know how dramatic the switch would be or how easily my Mac and the 8XT would work together. I know I have to use an app to get the s4 and the Mac to play nice, but it works. How does the camera compare to the s4? I know it can't be as good, but is it at least decent in comparison? I've looked online and there are really no comparisons between the s4 and the 8XT.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a Galaxy s4 and I'm thinking of switching to the HTC 8XT. What do you guys think? I have never owned a Windows phone or tablet. I currently have the s4 and I also use a MacBook Air. I didn't know how dramatic the switch would be or how easily my Mac and the 8XT would work together. I know I have to use an app to get the s4 and the Mac to play nice, but it works. How does the camera compare to the s4? I know it can't be as good, but is it at least decent in comparison? I've looked online and there are really no comparisons between the s4 and the 8XT.
ooooo...is the 8xt your only choice because in all honesty htc's and samsung's windows phones aren't very good, if you could get your hands on a Nokia it would be a MUCH better experience

jaleesag88

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
ooooo...is the 8xt your only choice because in all honesty htc's and samsung's windows phones aren't very good, if you could get your hands on a Nokia it would be a MUCH better experience

If i had the option of a Nokia I would choose that over anything lol. I'm with sprint and they only offer a Samsung and HTC. I just found someone who was looking to trade their 8xt for an Android phone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
If i had the option of a Nokia I would choose that over anything lol. I'm with sprint and they only offer a Samsung and HTC. I just found someone who was looking to trade their 8xt for an Android phone.

hmm I honestly wouldn't reccomend it although both Samsung and HTC are rumored to release new WP in like 1 or 2 months so I would wait to see if that comes to sprint

jaleesag88

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
hmm I honestly wouldn't reccomend it although both Samsung and HTC are rumored to release new WP in like 1 or 2 months so I would wait to see if that comes to sprint

Thanks for your honesty! I think after hearing that and digging around on the internet a little more I'm gonna wait and see what comes out next.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, getting WP and Mac to play nice isn't going to be fun. Is there a reason you're looking to switch from the S4 to begin with? An iPhone and the Mac would play the best together.
The camera on the 8xt is pretty good. There is a thread around that has some sample images. It does really well in low light, as long as the lens is clean. If it's got a finger print on it then it causes a terrible haze and streaking of light sources.
The WP os just runs smooth no matter the hardware (partly due to the fact that MS specified what hardware it can run on). The screen on the 8xt is much smaller (480x800) compared to the s4's 1920x1080 screen...

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I switched from an HTC One to an HTC 8XT. My son has the One now, and I've been on WP8 & the 8XT for 3 months now. Quite frankly, I'm very happy with how the 8XT is as a daily driver.

Don't listen to the guys who chirp about getting a Nokia...when the mythical Sprint Nokia phone shows up, we'll all let you know...until then (as you know) your choices are the Samsung Ativ S Neo or HTC 8XT. The 8XT is great as a daily driver and updates from HTC came out before Samsung & Nokia.

Things I like about the 8XT is Boom Sound & the nice build quality, SD card slot and a screen that is really nice. Yes, its resolution is low compared to your S4. Its been a great phone that 'just works'...it doesn't crash, it doesn't have a heavy handed skin like Touchwiz to get in the way, it just does the job.

All that said...it isn't equivalent to an S4, and you'd be giving up a top tier device for a mid-ranger. Pick up one on ebay and give it a test run to make sure WP8 is for you, and wait for HTC/Samsung to sell a top spec phone on WP8...then make the jump.

(A Nokia phone on Sprint will be a pipe dream for a long time...)

jaleesag88

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, getting WP and Mac to play nice isn't going to be fun. Is there a reason you're looking to switch from the S4 to begin with? An iPhone and the Mac would play the best together.
The camera on the 8xt is pretty good. There is a thread around that has some sample images. It does really well in low light, as long as the lens is clean. If it's got a finger print on it then it causes a terrible haze and streaking of light sources.
The WP os just runs smooth no matter the hardware (partly due to the fact that MS specified what hardware it can run on). The screen on the 8xt is much smaller (480x800) compared to the s4's 1920x1080 screen...

There's no specific reason I'm looking to switch. I've never used a Windows device and it's always been intriguing. I've used just about everything else though lol.

AlexanderMatthews

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a windows phone, yet, but I'd look at the Samsung Ativ. Since you have an S4 and I hear the Ativ is basically that phone, but for windows. Between the two I've researched that the Ativ takes better photos of the two, unfortunately. Personally, I prefer the build quality of the HTC and just wish desperately they would have put a little more care into it. Although if the rumors are true and they plan on announcing a new HTC windows phone in the next couple months then we could very well see an HTC One variant running Windows. Would make sense after the GDR3 update.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a windows phone, yet, but I'd look at the Samsung Ativ. Since you have an S4 and I hear the Ativ is basically that phone, but for windows. .

The Ativ S Neo is basically a Galaxy S3...not an S4 unfortunately...mostly due to the fact that until GDR3, higher core processors weren't supported by WP8.

Now that GDR3 is out, and WP 8.1 is right around the corner, we *should* start seeing top tier Android device hardware running WP8.1 variants in the Spring.

I went into the 8XT knowing it was a hardware downgrade...but you wouldn't know it...its buttery smooth as is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes