consumption of the memory on Nokia lumia 521

ASG92

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I would appreciate if anyone could help me out with my issue. I have a Nokia Lumia 521 and I'm confused at how fast the 8 gigs of memory is used up. I understand that the system uses 1.9 gbs of memory, and that it does not come with 8gb of memory. However, I have used my phone to open a lot of office documents off of skydrive and have an SD card to store all music and pictures on. However, the storage check on my phone says that there is 2.2 gbs of apps installed (which sounds right), but also says that a whopping 2.3 gigs are used for "media and files", also 889 mb are used under the temporary files and 888 mb are used for office documents, and the "other" category uses up 539 mb. I have reset office and tried pressing clear for temporary files. I just dont understand what these files are or how to get rid of them. All help is appreciated.
Thanks

ASG92

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have that enabled. My big question is that I have uploaded many files to skydrive since I like to view them including word files, ppts, and PDF's. I deleted everything from my skydrive, deleted everything from the Adobe app (for viewing pdf files) and the Office app, but storage check says that 888 mb of office files are on my phone. I have no idea what these are or how to delete them.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I read something about this in a similar forum; after a couple weeks the OS frees up that used memory so it's available if needed. It's a bit drastic but some people have changed the phone date to trick it into doing that. Try searching these and the MS forums under 'other storage.'

ASG92

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Thats interesting, thanks for your post. I spoke with Nokia customer support, and they told me that the documents are part of a office "cache". No idea what this means, but they said to simply do a hard restore. I'll try that technique, sounds promising.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
In case you didn't know, a hard or factory reset will delete all your personal settings and files and any apps you installed.

Back up in Settings and you can usually restore most everything after the reset.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Had a few problems with just this type of memory lost with some apps. Found just trying to delete them from memory did not work most of the time. What I did do to get rid of the files was delete Skydrive and delete the Adobe app .Deleting the app delets the files associated with it at the same time. Then turn off my phone, wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Downloaded Skydrive and the Adobe app and now both apps have no media files when checking with storage check. In fact I have started doing that with several other apps that have this problem. I have all the apps I use on my phone, about 30/40 and still have 4.6GB of memory free, on both my 820 and 520. Hell it works and it just takes a little time to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes