Windows 8.1.1 Update

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I would rather not risk it, how do you know to trust it? I would wait for the official release to be safe. And really... are there that many compelling changes that you just have to have RIGHT now?

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I applied the update on my 2520 with no issues. I haven't fully explored the changes but having metro apps on the desktop taskbar is great!

k4955

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Can you please post further about 2520 after the update. Are you able to add any programs without going through app store?

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
What programs would I add this way? I have not done this even prior.

Also, another cool thing after the update is the X and _ buttons appear at the top of metro apps when you have the show touch apps on taskbar option ( however it is worded) enabled.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you please post further about 2520 after the update. Are you able to add any programs without going through app store?

How would they do that? The Lumia 2520 uses Windows RT 8.1 designed for the WoA (Windows on ARM) architecture. It cannot even use standard Win32 code designed for x86-64 bit processors.

Also just pointing this out for everyone, but what was leaked was an internal build. It was not a fully finished build meant for distribution to the whole wide world. In fact if I'm not mistaken this wasn't even proper RTM code, which should have a higher build number on release. Microsoft will generally declare RTM on updates when they actually happen...especially on big updates like this.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to know for certain but it is referred to as RTM_GM. Also, the level of documentation for each update suggest that these updates are meant for public consumption. It doesn't really matter as it has worked flawlessly for me since I installed it. April 2nd is just around the corner anyway though.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to know for certain but it is referred to as RTM_GM. Also, the level of documentation for each update suggest that these updates are meant for public consumption. It doesn't really matter as it has worked flawlessly for me since I installed it. April 2nd is just around the corner anyway though.

So was the original version of 8.1, but they still waited to release it until after they completed some additional code fixes meant to be installed simultaneously.

RTM/RTW hasn't had quite the usual meaning in Redmond lately it seems.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I installed it and seems to be working fine.
I really don't notice much of a difference though. I still need to reboot maybe once a week.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I know with the Surface 2 they've found that performance suffers because there's evidently some drivers that are not updated with this package that don't work as well with the update.

I don't know if that will apply with the Lumia 2520 since it uses different hardware. Since learning there are unfinished supplementary bits I've decided to just wait the extra 2 weeks...especially since a ton of this update is dedicated to desktop machines, not the tablets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3