SD Card Won't Format

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Since the Lumia Black update I've been getting an error whenever I turn on my phone that says I need to reformat my SD card. Whenever I try to format it on the phone or on the computer it fails, also when trying to add files (eg. download music, pictures, etc.) they delete themselves soon after like they are reading from the temp files for a short time but not staying on the card. My card will still play stuff that is already on the card fine. I transferred all my pictures, music, and videos onto my PC for backup and tried to format it there but it failed. Then I tried to format on the phone and it failed. I tried using third party PC formatting applications which failed as well. I then noticed a hidden file on the SD Card called WPSettings.dat that is stored in a folder that is called WPSystem which is write protected. I thought maybe this is the reason it wouldn't format so I downloaded various applications that claim to remove write protection so I could delete the file but none of them worked.

My card is a SanDisk SDXC Class 10 64gb card that is half full.

Please help. I'd like to fix it before Windows Phone 8.1.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is the card still under warranty? I'd suggest getting it replaced under warranty if you cannot even format it using your PC.

ca_guri

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Go for replacement, sd cards covered under life time warranty service so u can easily get it replaced from sandisk service centre

Sent from my RM-914 using Tapatalk

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Do a full format of the card, not a quick format. It will take an hour or so to complete. Back up your contacts, SMS messages, your pics and app list and do a hard reset of the phone. Put the sd card back in and it should work. It is a bug with WP8, only a hard reset will fix it. They say 8.1 sorts this out but I have not seen anything official. I use a sandisk 64gb sd card in my 822 and it works prefect after I did a hard reset.

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm installing 8.1 now. I'll see if it fixes it (or at least allows me to format the card). If it doesn't ill try formatting with FATex if that isn't already what I tried (I can't remember). I don't think I can get a warranty because I'm pretty sure I threw the packaging away.

Silent Night

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Updating to 8.1 didn't fix it sadly you need to buy a new microSD card. I got one the other day and it works great. Don't buy SanDisk brand 64gb class 10 cards. I bought an off brand 64gb class 10 card and all my issues went away. I don't know why but in this case brand matters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon