Advice 4 DVP/WP7 Newbie

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello all......
Longtime Android user and prior to 2.2, an IOS user (all I unlocked to run on T-Mobile :) I had the chance to order a factory refurbished, unlocked DVP from TigerDirect for $89. At that price, I HAD to order such a cool looking device....
The listed specs say the device ships from TigerDirect with WP7.. My question: Is it possible to update directly to WP7.8, or do I have to update to WP7.5 BEFORE updating to WP7.8?
Also, if anyone has any general pointers, tips or tricks that are useful, PLEASE chime in..... I am COMPLETELY new to Windows Phone, so even the smallest tidbits would be useful.
Thanks All!! Steve H

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Problem is, you bought a device thats already behind the curve and has no significant future. (and won't see all the newness in WP8 - also, there are low end WP8 devices from as low as $69 new (ATT-locked 520, T-Mo locked 521)...)

I like the form factor though, kind of a shame, I miss vertical sliders.
WP7 is probably just an umbrella term and doesn't indicate whether its 7.5, 7.8, so I think you'll have to wait until you can power it on.

I personally don't know about that update thing. WP8 updates step-by-step, but its OTA, unlike 7.x.

Welcome aboard, you won't get anything new, and will miss many of the apps 8.x users enjoy, but its still a solid phone.
Let us know if you have any questions or issues.

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey Xandros, thanks for the info & greeting :). I am a bit of a smartphone tinkerer and am aware that updates for DVP stop at 7.8...... that's OK.... still looks cool as heck (and won't be my main phone).... I just want to get it as current as it can get.
Paid extra for accidental damage replacement in case I brick it ($19 for this $89 phone).... :)
Thanks again for your input

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey Xandros, thanks for the info & greeting :). I am a bit of a smartphone tinkerer and am aware that updates for DVP stop at 7.8...... that's OK.... still looks cool as heck (and won't be my main phone).... I just want to get it as current as it can get.
Paid extra for accidental damage replacement in case I brick it ($19 for this $89 phone).... :)
Thanks again for your input

7.8 is as current as you will get for a WP7 phone.

And welcome to the madhouse! :smile:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Considering it isn't worth as much these days and isn't a main phone, I don't think you should've shelled out for that plan, but I'm not in the position to tell you what to do, I just don't think it'll be worth it.

Have fun! Heh

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again, Xandros...... Smartphone tinkering is my hobby..... I don't smoke, drink and since the divorce, even given up sex..... So I figure the whole total $100 (DVP & repl. warranty), is cheap entertainment (compared to the marriage/divorce fiasco) ;)

Thanks, David P2..... and I have to ask, is that moniker a reference to the Volvo platform (P2)? (ex hobby/became too $$)

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
you will have to go through all the updates until you get WP7.8 .This is what happened to me when I unlocked my Mozart two weeks ago. I flashed my Mozart with NoDo update rom (7.0) then HSPL firmware, after that the phone downloaded and installed 14 updates, one by one, through zune. That is if you plan to stay on official rom. However, if you plan to install custom rom then you don't need to go through all the update as you will be directly installing the downloaded custom rom (e.g. rom vdg v2.3 is wp7.8). You need to install different firmware first if you plan to install custom rom (grab all the info you ned from xda before proceeding)
Note: the last update will bring you wp8 tile sizes.

If you are familiar with custom roms I would advice you to install one as wp7 reached EOL. And you can get extra features that wp8 just got like live lock screen, file manager, double tap to wake (using windows button), nokia apps, etc.

Last edited:

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hacer..... That's excellent info! I'm a member over at XDA (peacecorpssteve), but I didn't realize they hosted WPx development as well (duh)...
I agree 100%.... Flashing a custom ROM is clearly the way to go (learned that process converting some old giant-screened (for that time), HTC Windows Phone over to Android.. ...It was fun trying out different builds on it...
Thanks Again! :D

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hacer..... That's excellent info! I'm a member over at XDA (peacecorpssteve), but I didn't realize they hosted WPx development as well (duh)...
I agree 100%.... Flashing a custom ROM is clearly the way to go (learned that process converting some old giant-screened (for that time), HTC Windows Phone over to Android.. ...It was fun trying out different builds on it...
Thanks Again! :D
It's good to know my info was helpful to you.

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey All...... Received my DVP from FedEx last night..... I'm actually shocked because the phone appears to have never been used (either that or they replaced every panel and component on / in it)... For $89, there isn't a mark/scratch/blemish on it anywhere. Also, it all came in an original Dell DVP box (every panel had the "peel away" protective plastic on it, including the battery).
It's running Windows Phone 7.5, and as far as I can tell, everything on it works (wifi, 3G, GPS, MMS, etc.). The only sketchy feature is the Visual Voicemail.... but I know that's a T-Mobile issue... Like EVERY other phone I've used on their network, it will eventually start working correctly.
From what I've read, others have had issues with WP7.8..... so I might just leave it on 7.5. The only thing that's really missing (IMO inexperienced view), is better HTML support in the browser...
Advice?? Opinions??
Thanks Again..... Steve

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Gratz on you new dvp WP device. hope you are enjoying it. As for the installed version on your phone (7.5), I'm not sure about html compatibility with websites, but I'm sure there are improvements to IE in 7.8. You can try updating it to 7.8 in Zune and if you didn't like it or had problems you can roll back to the previous version. Also, you can try UC browser. If you plan to update to 7.8 keep in mind that you can only roll back to the previous version (update) installed. For example you now have 7.5 installed and you connect your phone to Zune, Got a minor 7.5 update and updated your phone, then plugged it again and got 7.8 update and updated to it. In this case you can only revert back to the minor update.

However, check on the internet where the backup is stored by Zune and see if keeping a copy of it can help you restore to the version of your backup.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Most windows phones with version 7.5 have micro sd cards inside instead of onboard memory. And can be upgraded up to 32gb from the stock 8gb, but this will void the warranty. I have read that the dvp doesn't need disassembly to access the micro SD. But instead it is directly accessible under the warranty sticker :(

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey Hace...... Thanks for the advice...... I forgot about installing Zune to backup / update the Windows Phone OS (duh)....
I like your idea about locating the backup inside Zune so I'll have a bread crumb trail back out of the woods in case 7.8 is too dysfunctional for my tastes :)
I'll mess with the DVP later today and post results / impressions here
Thanks Again!!

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, I installed Zune, and all it did when I plugged in the DVP was recognize it, then erase all 187 of my contacts with absolutely no input from me whatsoever. Also, it says my WP7.5 is current and there are no updates available for my phone }:-[ It appears a custom ROM is clearly the way to go to eliminate THAT nonsense. I'm going to check out what, if anything is available over at XDA. I'll keep you posted :)

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
there is a program called seveneighter I think that will help you push updates to you phone there is a zune trick but its hard to do. so check seveneighter

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry slow response..... An unexpected project came up that required all my time/effort
Hacer, thank you VERY much for the Seveneighter info.... I'll check it out for sure tonight!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The DVP was my first WP7 device and it's the most beautiful, IMO. The only feature you will not have in relation to all other WP devices is Internet Sharing. This is a hardware issue so don't even bother. There is a method for USB tethering available on the XDA forums. Also, the camera is a joke so don't think you have a bad unit. As for the SD upgrade, you can go to 64GB without any problems (I did). The seveneighter works flawlessly on these beauties and you won't brick anything. Forget about flashing since there's no way to unlock the bootloader. There were some attempts with Gold Cards but they're very unreliable because they were dependent on build numbers.

Enjoy that beast!

SHildebrandt

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks FClue....... Yeah, I've already discovered its weaknesses (especially camera).... Tethering not an issue (DVP is a "backup phone")....
I've noticed it gets alot of attention in public (but not as much as my original Dell Streak did back in the day) LOL

JustinSalvato

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
DO NOT install 7.8 on this phone. Over the course of a month, I noticed things like automatic reboots/crashes, wifi on/off issues, argh.. Don't do it. I downgraded to 7.5 and haven't had to many issues. The Dell Venue Pro is my daily driver, but that is only because T-Mobile doesn't have any current high-end Windows Phones. I had the Nokia Lumia 1520 for a couple weeks but returned it because it wasn't getting T-Mobile's 3G, 4G or LTE bands. Bought a 1520.1 instead of 1520.3.

So while the Dell Venue Pro was a very good phone for a time, my portrait slider keyboard (main selling point) doesn't work much anymore, the camera, as others have pointed out, is horrible, and my capacitive buttons don't fully light up anymore.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
DO NOT install 7.8 on this phone. Over the course of a month, I noticed things like automatic reboots/crashes, wifi on/off issues, argh.. Don't do it. I downgraded to 7.5 and haven't had to many issues. The Dell Venue Pro is my daily driver, but that is only because T-Mobile doesn't have any current high-end Windows Phones. I had the Nokia Lumia 1520 for a couple weeks but returned it because it wasn't getting T-Mobile's 3G, 4G or LTE bands. Bought a 1520.1 instead of 1520.3.

So while the Dell Venue Pro was a very good phone for a time, my portrait slider keyboard (main selling point) doesn't work much anymore, the camera, as others have pointed out, is horrible, and my capacitive buttons don't fully light up anymore.

It's very possible you're having hardware issues with your device. I've never encountered any issues with 7.8 on the DVP or any other phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit