How to disable adaptive contrast on the Surface Pro and Surface Book

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Surface-Book-2-display-artistmode_0.jpg

If your Surface Pro or Book display suddenly shifts brightness at night time this simple registry trick will solve it.
For those who own a Surface Pro (4 or 2017) or Surface Book (1 or 2), you may notice an occasional and subtle flickering of the display, especially at night with a dimmed screen. Some of that may be attributable to "adaptive contrast," which auto-adjusts aspects of the screen based on light or dark scenes.
In this quick guide, we explain the difference between adaptive contrast and adaptive brightness, and more specifically, how to disable it.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Daniel89jr

Jan 22, 2019
Visit site
So I think I found an alternative resolution to this that does not require changing anything in the registry for Windows 10!
1. I am using a Surface Pro 6: Right click on your desktop and select "Display Settings"
2. Select "Graphics settings"
3. Set whatever apps you don't want the adaptive contrast to effect as "High Performance" and BANG!

I currently only have Google Chrome and Adobe Lightroom and have no longer had the issue at all within these apps. At the moment these are the only apps I do not want the adaptive contrast to affect. I don't mind it on everything else at the moment. Hope this helps, best!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon