Microsoft is slowly revamping itself in many different ways, including its employee badges. This week, the company started issuing new "Blue badges" for its workers that ditches the old square frame for employee portraits in favor of circles.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...
    07-17-2015 11:20 AM
    I think it looks nice.

After all, human head is close to a circle/oval more than a square.... so it's natural to have a circular photo
    07-17-2015 11:25 AM
    I think it looks nice.

After all, human head is close to a circle/oval more than a square.... so it's natural to have a circular photo
    Your wpcentral profile would not crop so well. That's the main issue I have. I have numerous contacts that have terribly cropped profile photos now.
    07-17-2015 11:30 AM
    Your wpcentral profile would not crop so well. That's the main issue I have. I have numerous contacts that have terribly cropped profile photos now.
    You are right. Cropping is an issue.

For one-head photo, circle makes sense. For multiple heads, because we took a rectangle-based photo and then re-fitting into a circle may not look nice.

I think apps should provide manual cropping so that the photo can appear better in a circle. But a better solution is to have an app specifically for taking circle-based photo so that all people's heads fit nicely into a circle. And people need to practice taking circle-based selfies :P

It's a matter of habits. Even square photos sometimes have cropping problems because the original photo was not in 1:1 ratio.
    07-17-2015 10:58 PM
    Kill the circle!
    07-18-2015 12:01 AM