Windows 10 unveiled. Disappointed with little news of WP's future.

Viracocha

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Although, I was very happy that features I expected were confirmed with Windows 10 unveiling today. I have to admit, I am disappointed with the very little information that was included about the future of Windows Phones. Especially, when considering the release date for W10 will be sometime from mid to late next year, I was hoping for a little more information about WPs. I'm definitely a bit concerned about not only losing any momentum that WP had, but also the long-term viability of the WP platform in general. Perhaps, this is an over-reaction, but I think it's very important that MS takes some kind of action within the next two months.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It was stated Windows 10 is Windows Phone.
Looks like today was dedicated to the core usability and other stuff enterprises would deal with probably.

I believe we'll see more details next year or as we get closer.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Today's event was a soft-launch preview discussion aimed directly at the enterprise. Don't be disappointed you didn't hear more about the phone side of things; WP is not what keeps IT and enterprise computing clients up at night. We are months and months away from real insights about WP10, and probably 8-9 months away from devices (unless they plan on releasing phones before they even hold their Build developer conference in April). I expect WP news to be thin outside of the devices we already know are coming, and the Denim firmware update in Q4.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is being killed off. There will be no Windows Phone platform after 2015. We have been abandoned.

Don't feel bad, though, We'll be getting Windows 10, so I'll be running the same OS on my Desktop, Laptop, and Phone.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone is being killed off. There will be no Windows Phone platform after 2015. We have been abandoned.

Don't feel bad, though, We'll be getting Windows 10, so I'll be running the same OS on my Desktop, Laptop, and Phone.
Me thinks you are a bit confused. Similar kernal but not the same system. It just allows better code sharing between platforms making it easier for developers to write one app and recompile for different platforms. No-one is being abandoned and WP will not run full windows 10 (unfortunately).

Viracocha

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It's crazy we've yet to hear anything about some other flagship type of phone. A lot of 920s contracts will be up soon (including me). I would have the patience to wait until next year, but I don't believe many others will. I would imagine they wouldn't want to lose them to new Galaxy and iPhone models. Please don't say 930. Hopefully, next month will bring some official news of something!

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
They said that they will focus on the consumer early 2015. I bet that's when we will see how it all works with the phone, and the Xbox, and the tablets. Today was much more low key.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Today's announcement wasn't about Windows Phone. It was about Windows. It's the official start of the next product cycle. There will be a technical preview released in the near future, this is not a finished product in any way. Windows Phone will be probably previewed in the spring when they are closer to finishing the core Windows product. At that time, they will announce consumer features and a more polished Release Candidate or Consumer Preview. That is when they will likely have a demonstration of Windows 10 phones (WP10 handsets?).

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

I think most on this forum overreact.
It's Windows 10.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This announcement and info was directed at enterprise. Not consumers while they threw us a bone mentioning the preview being released tommorow enterprise was what they were focused on.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
They said that they will focus on the consumer early 2015. I bet that's when we will see how it all works with the phone, and the Xbox, and the tablets. Today was much more low key.

MS will always have the disadvantage in that in the balancing act between serving businesses and consumers, the needs of business customers have to come first. That's where they get the bulk of their revenues.

Unfortunately for Windows Phones, that's why iPhones and Android usually get the gee-whiz consumer-oriented features first.

And low key is right. Notice in this reveal - no reveal on the price of Win 10!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2