[SOLVED] Windows Won't Boot Because My Computer is Insisting it is May of 2018

Gregory Whatley

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED, SEE POST #12

Yesterday, my computer decided it was 2018, so Windows 10 won't boot anymore. The technical preview was set to expire in April this year I believe. It doesn't act all other versions of Windows does when the product key expires, it literally WON'T BOOT anymore. I can't even start using my Windows 10 installation media for the same reason. Luckily, I've dual booted with Windows 8.1, but changing the date and time there only works for the session. Restarting the computer erases my changes. As of typing this, it is 2:03 AM, Wednesday, May 02, 2018. I tried using the command prompt option in the troubleshoot menu from the dual booting menu to change the date, but like I said, it only stays in effect for that session only. What can I do to stop this?
EDIT: Here is a list of the current things I've tried (but have not worked):
  • Change BIOS date/time
  • ̶R̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶C̶M̶O̶S̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ (this was the answer)
  • Change date/time from Windows 8.1
  • Change date/time from command prompt in the dual booting menu
  • Reinstall Windows 10 Technical Preview

WP_20150224_07_59_39_Rich.jpgWP_20150224_08_01_00_Rich.jpg

Last edited:

Gregory Whatley

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows Won't Boot Because My Computer is Insisting it is May of 2018

Thanks, but that somehow did not work... After I saved changes and rebooted, automatic repair started to diagnose my PC, then reported it could not find a problem. I restarted again, then was greeted by the BSOD for half a second, once it restarted for the last time, the same error message popped up.

vk4421

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site

If u have desktop PC with CPU... Try to remove the date time battery and put it again after 2minutes... And switch it on...

Gregory Whatley

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

If u have desktop PC with CPU... Try to remove the date time battery and put it again after 2minutes... And switch it on...

I went out and bought a new coin battery and changed all my settings back, but that still didn't work.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I tried to, but even the installer has the same date restriction.

If you go to the "Change date and time settings ..." there is also a setting called "internet time"
The time on your pc gets synced with this "time.windows.com"
Maybe there you have a "strange" setting.

Gregory Whatley

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

If you go to the "Change date and time settings ..." there is also a setting called "internet time"

Yeah, I noticed that too. I played around with it awhile ago (turned it off, changed the server), but nothing changed.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

just for the fun of it. I went in times.windows...that feature was stopped...I updated it...I don't know what difference it would make to the PC as I always received update through windows

Gregory Whatley

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I restarted for another blind attempt at getting into my Windows 10 installation media, and to my surprise, the installer started. I did a system restore to a few days ago (I actually don't think I had to do that because if I was able to boot my installation media, the new BIOS settings must have finally taken into effect), and now Windows 10 is up and running with the correct date!

I'll say here if anyone else has the problem, the answer is change the CMOS coin battery, redo your settings, restart a few times, then try to boot Windows.

Thank you all so much for your help!!

lamdfer

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Boot your computers from an image file on network. It?s easy to use it. AOMEI PXE Boot Tool, After installation, you just need a few clicks following the guide. Besides, it supports synchronous boot of multiple computers. You can add HTTP method to speed up the downloading of image file, then click ?Yes? to automatically discharge the occupied port.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte