Is the W10M menu system becoming more like Android?

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen, W10 for phones seems to be becoming more like Android, in that they have swapped this kind of design/layout -

7c97_4weather_0.jpg

- for a menu-driven layout like Android, where the pages are all separate and you have to click on the menu button, choose a page, then click on the menu button again to choose the next page, then click on the menu button again to choose the next page, etc., instead of smoothly swiping through to the page you want. Is this basically what's happening or am I misreading the screenshots I've seen? Because I've got a few apps that work like that and I hate them, to the point that I almost always end up uninstalling them.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
One of the best advice to new users embracing WP was "forget all you know about your Android/IOS"... now we can't even say that anymore.. sigh!!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It's not becoming like Android. Android is better than that.

Kitkat could be debated, but Lolipop with material design is something different.

Anyways they will keep swiping, same thing on Android now.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Yes.. I don't know how silly Microsoft can be. Google took clues from Windows Metro and headed in the right direction. And MS is copying what Android used to be, heading in the wrong direction. Why? Just plain silly in my opinion. First they designed the best UI and when everyone is following them, they are doing something silly. How confused are they!!

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just plain silly in my opinion. First they designed the best UI and when everyone is following them, they are doing something silly. How confused are they!!
It's not the first time, look what they did with Zune - they took what was far and away the best music ecosystem and flushed it down the toilet in favour of X-Box Music, which is measurably worse in every way.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
From what I've seen, W10 for phones seems to be becoming more like Android, in that they have swapped this kind of design/layout -

View attachment 99768

- for a menu-driven layout like Android, where the pages are all separate and you have to click on the menu button, choose a page, then click on the menu button again to choose the next page, then click on the menu button again to choose the next page, etc., instead of smoothly swiping through to the page you want. Is this basically what's happening or am I misreading the screenshots I've seen? Because I've got a few apps that work like that and I hate them, to the point that I almost always end up uninstalling them.

Despite this discussion being beaten to death already in a number of threads, to sum up:

? Some apps will continue to use the swipe effect.
? Some apps will start using the drop down / slide out menu system (ie: Hamburger Menu)
? Both menus have their pros and cons.
? The Swipe Menu (Metro) can be annoying when you can't jump to the section you want but instead have to swipe through multiple sections before you get where you want to go. This gets worse the more sections there are.
? The Drop Down/Slide Out Menu can be annoying for some people due to positioning on larger screens or as you described, Click Menu Click Section.

I personally don't care which menu system is in place.

The Swipe system is in many of my existing apps, but the hamburger menu is in many others I use too (Cortana, Facebook App, Many Web Sites in Mobile Version including the Windows Central Web Site)

I am used to both styles despite their equal disadvantages.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
...you have to click on the menu button, choose a page, then click on the menu button again to choose the next page, then click on the menu button again to choose the next page, etc., instead of smoothly swiping through to the page you want...

The same comment can be made for pivots. WP apps like Mint, Rhapsody and MSN Money cause me to swipe through, 4 or 5 menu pages that I don't need to see in order to view the one that I want to. In such a case, I would MUCH rather tap a menu icon and then directly select the page I want to see.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
The same comment can be made for pivots. WP apps like Mint, Rhapsody and MSN Money cause me to swipe through, 4 or 5 menu pages that I don't need to see in order to view the one that I want to. In such a case, I would MUCH rather tap a menu icon and then directly select the page I want to see.

Indeed. While the pivot system looks pretty and I liked it the first time I used them on my Lumia 800, the system is not overly productive.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest that is more about poor app design than the fault of pivots. If you have too many pages for comfortable swiping, then you find a better way to do it. Maybe you put some things into the ellipsis menu or have expanding sections that scroll vertically? There are plenty of options. The app I use the most, Weather & Surf Australia, had five panels, do a maximum of three swipes to get to any of them, but the last one is simply called "extras" and it has buttons for another 4 pages of info that you are less likely to use regularly. Once you go into one of those pages, it just gets added as an extra pivot for that session. It's a very handy layout.

The ones that really annoy me, though, are the ones where you can use the hamburger menu to get to a page but you have to use the back button to get out of it.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
It's down to the developer. I think no one is forcing you to make Android-style apps in Windows 10. They can continue the same Windows Phone 7/8 design.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Sure but the vast majority of things I do in my phone are Microsoft made things. I only use one or two third party apps on anything like a regular basis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes