My Lumia 535 died while downgrading from WP10. What should I do?

Wilco Boode

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 535 died while downgrading from WP10. Help

Hey all,
So, I decided to try WP 10 on my Lumia 535 as it seemed interesting. However, when I tried to revert my phone from WP10 to WP8.1 using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool 1.1.0 it failed, leaving me with a Lumia 535 which only displays a black screen.

I tried:
Removing Sim + SD
Booting using the volume and power buttons
Using the Lumia Recovery Tool
Using the Windows Phone Recovery Tool over and over

I get:
Phone not supported message in the lumia recovery tool
Waiting for connection in the windows phone recovery tool
Audio / connection is detected by my Windows 8.1 laptop, though it says "USB Device not Recognized"
Completely black screen, no backlight, no error, no warning, nothing.

Can anyone help me?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Lumia 535 died while downgrading from WP10. Help

Not sure how comfortable or confident you are with computers but I would suggest uninstalling all software associated with Nokia and WP. Download a fresh version of the recovery program and install it.

Try connecting your phone after that. It's possible you're getting a driver conflict with older drivers installed on your machine.

Wilco Boode

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

Tried installing everything I could find, rebooting my laptop and reinstalling the drivers, nothing works.

It is like the recovery tool deleted everything off the phone and failed before it was able to upload the new files.
The "USB Device not Recognized" error is gone though.

Wilco Boode

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

I am quite comfortable with computers, I have build and installed quite a lot of PC's and fixed Android phones a couple of times. However, this is the first Windows Phone I got, so my level of knowledge about WP is quite low.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So just to do a full check here. Just to be on the safe side.

- Uninstalled the recovery tool
- Uninstalled Nokia Cable driver
- Uninstalled MS distributable that came with the recovery tool
- Uninstalled anything else that had Nokia on it
- Uninstalled anything that had WP on it
- Check the Device Manger and deleted/uninstalled the driver if it's still there for WP.

I had issues when I tried to go back to WP8.1 after the W10 TP went loopy on me. At first the software didn't recognise my phone until I did that.

Sometimes you need to do a thorough cleaning to make sure there's nothing wrong. At worst you'll have to take it to a care point if all else fails.

Wilco Boode

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

I deleted all software indeed, didnt find anything remotely related to the phone in my Device Manager.

I think I'll take it back to the store I bought it, see if I can switch it, or if they can fix it.

Taher khan1

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I have install the o.s 10 successfully in my lumia 535 and its look great. Just use the below method
1. Install window insider
2.use fast insider
3.install o.s10 from phone update
After installing you can see the black screen written loading just remove your battery than after restart you fan see the all setting on up side bar
4.go to setting then select about phone option
5.on this option select reset phone option
6.rest your phone it will take about 15 minutes
Then your phone will automatically start with all new lag free window 10
During all this process keep your WiFi on and use minimum 16gb external memory.

RiShabh_sharma

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
How did you connected your device to__windows recovery tool__ i tried every instruction bt still nothing is happening.
plzz hlp me out, this windows 10 is horrible..

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
How did you connected your device to__windows recovery tool__ i tried every instruction bt still nothing is happening.
plzz hlp me out, this windows 10 is horrible..

Use a WIn 8.1 or Win10 pc, a fast and stable internet connection for down.loading Windows pack, and a usb original cable. Then Open WDRT and if urecognized click "Unknown device".

Another chanche is the hard reset key sequence to reinstall correctly win10 and then downgrade via wdrt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss