Error 0XC1900101-0X40017 Upgrading to Build 10166

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting read......

I've had the exact same issues as the previous posters with my 2010 vintage Gateway AIO.

It has been running Win10 since the beginning and when it got to 10130 it would not install any more updates and failed just like is described here.

I trucked on and did clean installs all the way up to the insider's 10240 thinking that it would get sorted out when drivers were released, etc.

Now I would like to install the released build and I still get the same thing.....I doubt I am going to do another clean install as I'm tired of setting this thing up so many times and would love to just update the damn thing...frustrating!

I hear ya, very frustrating indeed especially when you get very little to nothing to go on, every error code I've encountered just lead me in circles as there is no clear answer as to what they "really" mean, I thought PC were supposed to be smart no LOL. As mentioned in this thread, my ProBook just decided to accept the upgrade via "Get Windows 10" app without an inkling as to why (possibly a "behind the scenes update"), even after booting into Windows for the first time and browsing I could not find anything amiss, its been running just hunky dory so far.

After my ordeals trying to upgrade seven devices (not over yet, still 2 to go), I'm finding the stats "installed on 67 million PCs" a little hard to take, asked this question before "how many of those have failed and were counted as an install", just like YouTube, if you click on a video then instantly exit, it is counted as one view, just sayin'

When W10 is working I'm liking it, even in its infancy, can only hope it'll get better over time but the way things have been playing out over the past year or so I'm a tad sceptical as to what the outcome will be, a good place to start right now as I see it is in getting the upgrade/install end finessed, from my DOS days through to W8.1, I've never encountered anything like it.

Last edited:

allingavagen

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I've solved this problem on my Dell Inspiron 7537 by doing the following:
Flashing the Bios with the latest from Dell
Uninstall the Nvidia drivers and software and then install only from the Dell website drivers page matched to my machine
Do the same with the Intel Rapid Start and Rapid Storage.

Win10 now working fine

In my limited experience with these types of problems they are generally caused by chipset driver issues. These steps may well work for other manufacturers with similar chipsets. I hope this helps.

Could you extrapolate on flashing the BIOS? I am the 'average person' Elky64 is referring to, i.e. I don't know what it implies.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Could you extrapolate on flashing the BIOS? I am the 'average person' Elky64 is referring to, i.e. I don't know what it implies.

Unless your PC is having some sort of issues because of it there usually is no need to flash the bios... If you've never done it before, are unsure and a noob I'd suggest you NOT attempt, if it fails you could end up with a huge paperweight (as mentioned before), it's not something easily rectified after a fail by the average person and more than likely would need to be sent to the manufacture for a repair/resolve, expensive.

In saying that, and you still want to give it a try, my first suggestion "do your homework first", it'll make things go a lot smoother, gather your PCs full model and serial numbers as one or both may be required to access files that pertain to your exact device. Next, check your PC manufactures site for bios upgrade instructions, the upgrade itself and utilities to help with the install, in their instructions it should tell you how to access your bios and check the ver you are running now, this will determine whether it is needed or not, also, it'll guide you through the whole process.

Last edited:

Travis1856

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I get the exact same error that you describe.

"WIN 10 Upgrade fails at the 71% portion of the large circle part of the WIN 10 install with a restart and the message that a "Page fault in a Non Page Fault Area". After the restart and WIN 7 is restored the message is "The installation failed in the second_BOOT Phase with an error during BOOT operation"

This time I ran the upgrade with all anti virus SW disabled and nothing plugged into the USB ports. All of the latest MS updates have been installed. I cannot find any of the drivers that need to be updated under DEVICE MANAGER. I am in hold mode until I get something else to try. When the laptop reverts back to WIN 7 everything works A-OK. Any help would be appreciated & thanks."

Travis1856

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
WIN 10 Upgrade fails at the 71% portion of the large circle part of the WIN 10 install with a restart and the message that a "Page fault in a Non PageFault Area". After the restart and WIN 7 is restored the message is "The installation failed in the second_BOOT Phase with an error during BOOT operation"

This time I ran the upgrade with all anti virus SW disabled and nothing plugged into the USB ports. All of the latest MS updates have been installed. I cannot find any of the drivers that need to be updated under DEVICE MANAGER. I am in hold mode until I get something else to try. When the laptop reverts back to WIN 7 everything works A-OK. Any help would be appreciated & thanks.

I get the exact same error that you describe. I have tried all of the listed fixes tat I can find online but NOTHING has worked for me. The last failure was at 75% on the circle and 100% down below on the middle.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
WIN 10 Upgrade fails at the 71% portion of the large circle part of the WIN 10 install with a restart and the message that a "Page fault in a Non Page Fault Area". After the restart and WIN 7 is restored the message is "The installation failed in the second_BOOT Phase with an error during BOOT operation"

This time I ran the upgrade with all anti virus SW disabled and nothing plugged into the USB ports. All of the latest MS updates have been installed. I cannot find any of the drivers that need to be updated under DEVICE MANAGER. I am in hold mode until I get something else to try. When the laptop reverts back to WIN 7 everything works A-OK. Any help would be appreciated & thanks.

I get the exact same error that you describe. I have tried all of the listed fixes tat I can find online but NOTHING has worked for me.

Similar to mine for sure yet slightly different, all I can say (as previously mention) that my resolve was through the "Get Windows 10" app, took 2 tries but in the end it worked, to this day I have no real insight (other than guessing) as to why it was failing.

My best success has been with the MS media creation tool and a USB flash drive, this whole upgrade process has been somewhat confusing and very frustrating at times but when it works the outcome is decent, sorry I can't really suggest much other than to keep trying, hopefully you'll end up at the place you want to be.

ArildS

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I solved this by simply un-installing the Nvidia video driver and then installing Windows 10 again.
Re-installed the Nvidia driver after Windows 10 was finished installing.

Had this problem on an Asus based computer with Geforce GTX 680.

Steezed

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello there.

This issue is a death sentece for me indeed.
Instead of having one of 4520s laptop, I have 8 of them and they all have the same issue you had, except one where i could do the upgrade without any issues and it makes no sense yet.
I see this problem already was in 2015, now we are in 2016 so what is MS thinking.
So from what i understand the fault is at drivers itself. Though updating them or disabling does not help, since i run Itel HD graphics.
Maybe i have missed something.
Any advice how to start, step by step?

Thanks for help i just been trying to solve this issue for past few days.

ketan dholariya

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Please upgrade your BIOS and reinstall windows 10.

- I was having the same issue when upgrading win 10 and tried many solution but no success. I have upgraded BIOS and upgraded win 10 with no issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes