3 Months to improve Windows 10 mobile?

antnauman

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile has given much of the basic functionality, and because of 'apps', everything can be updated/improved with time.
Latest news was, Win 10 mobile is almost feature complete. But truth is, I still feel there is a LOT to improve and add, because it needs to be at least equivalent to Android and iOS.

For me, 'almost feature complete' and 'november' doesn't add up. (with the fact that much of their focus will be on mobile side now)

Personally, I want more options in Start screen; transparency everywhere; improved App list; much much better office and other apps etc.

But I don't know will they change just icons now, or they really gonna work their best in these 3 months.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile has given much of the basic functionality, and because of 'apps', everything can be updated/improved with time.
Latest news was, Win 10 mobile is almost feature complete. But truth is, I still feel there is a LOT to improve and add, because it needs to be at least equivalent to Android and iOS.

For me, 'almost feature complete' and 'november' doesn't add up. (with the fact that much of their focus will be on mobile side now)

Personally, I want more options in Start screen; transparency everywhere; improved App list; much much better office and other apps etc.

But I don't know will they change just icons now, or they really gonna work their best in these 3 months.

Personally I don't miss anything from Android that is in the base OS. I liked that it was simpler. I'm dreading support for LED notifications for example, i hope there's an option to never turn it on. What do you feel is missing?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't miss anything from Android that is in the base OS. I liked that it was simpler. I'm dreading support for LED notifications for example, i hope there's an option to never turn it on. What do you feel is missing?

I don't find Windows Mobile missing much... Would like to be able to more easily stream videos to my TV (I believe it works now, but not to all devices, my Sharp TV being one of them), and better support for connected devices (although I believe this falls more under the app gap issue than with Windows), and they better not trash voice SMS over Bluetooth, which was hinted at in some article I read.

antnauman

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I can't say that the 'base OS' is missing stuff (except for a lot of UI improvements, because they won't be changing UI much after the release).
But yes, apps need a Lot of work. Office and other apps have come a long way from wp8.1, but they still need to compete iOS and Android equivalents. THIS will be the thing which will make windows 10 mobile attractive and better.

The stuff I think needs improvement are:
* Transluscent Action center
* Improved App list (they can make apps in every letter, just like apps in store, i.e. horizontal scrolling after 3 apps)
* More tile options
* People Hub tile (circles are good, but can be made closer)
* Other than black/white (if possible)
* OneNote, and Office apps
* Photos (Add editing and folders), Groove
* Camera (Add options like b/w, panorama etc.. or make a lens for that)
* Edge
* Outlook (Are they serious with THIS Calendar? and smily faces?)
* File manager (Add navigation from pic-to-pic etc)
* Add a Text editer and a Paint

After all, there needs to be enough stuff, with enough features, that if one uses continuum, one shouldn't be disappointed.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I want a native app locker so i can keep some of my apps private without having to default to kids corner or some other way. Allow me to lock certain apps. This is needed.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't find Windows Mobile missing much... Would like to be able to more easily stream videos to my TV (I believe it works now, but not to all devices, my Sharp TV being one of them), and better support for connected devices (although I believe this falls more under the app gap issue than with Windows), and they better not trash voice SMS over Bluetooth, which was hinted at in some article I read.

I can't think of any reason to stream video from my phone to TV, unless its a video I recorded on my phone, which I don't do, so I guess I'll have to trust you on that one.

voice SMS over Bluetooth... is that what is used when I get a text on my phone and Cortana asks me to read it? God help them if that feature goes away. Or are you talking about something different?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
voice SMS over Bluetooth... is that what is used when I get a text on my phone and Cortana asks me to read it? God help them if that feature goes away. Or are you talking about something different?

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. It currently isn't available to enable in the settings for win 10 mobile. At least not that I can find. I'm figuring it's just because the insider build is still in testing. It's one feature I use a lot and would hate to not have it in the final release. It's once of the reasons I returned the S6 and stayed with my 930.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. It currently isn't available to enable in the settings for win 10 mobile. At least not that I can find. I'm figuring it's just because the insider build is still in testing. It's one feature I use a lot and would hate to not have it in the final release. It's once of the reasons I returned the S6 and stayed with my 930.

I was considering the Insider builds for my Lumia 920, but this makes it a non-starter for me. I really hope they keep this, because push-holding the voice button on my car activates Cortana (vs. pressing it which activates voice commands for the car). It's been really cool.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree, Windows 10 Mobile still has a lot of room for improvement. It's come a long ways though and the new update model seems promising. The fact that applications can be updated separately from the operating system, and that practically all core functions are applications... I look forward to it (by the way, how many of you think that the fact that Microsoft can update the majority of the operating system because they're applications in the store is what they meant by bypassing the carriers?).
I want way more personalization. The Action Center is one place that needs a lot of work. Also the Lock Screen could use a lot of improvements. Interactive Live Tiles would be amazing as well. A truly universal Settings menu like Windows Phone 8.1 has where application settings can be accessed through the Settings except even more expansive and powerful.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Cortana>notebook>settings>read incoming text messages out loud. The option is still there.

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Keep in mind that the internal builds they're working with at MS could potentially be dramatically more advanced than 10166.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't think of any reason to stream video from my phone to TV, unless its a video I recorded on my phone, which I don't do, so I guess I'll have to trust you on that one.

Voice SMS Bluetooth in the car is still there. I doubt they would remove it.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I know this is a bit petty, but I'd like another live tile size option. I had a Blu Win HD and before it got an update an changed the tiles, the largest tile took up an entire row. I'd love to see that come back.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I know this is a bit petty, but I'd like another live tile size option. I had a Blu Win HD and before it got an update an changed the tiles, the largest tile took up an entire row. I'd love to see that come back.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

You can still have that. The update you received was most likely Windows Phone 8.1 which added the ability to have a third column of tiles on the Start Screen. You can go back to two columns in settings.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The fact that applications can be updated separately from the operating system, and that practically all core functions are applications...

I find it interesting how we as WP users changed our tunes on this one. I remember when WP was released, one of the advantages was that features that were apps on the other OSs were built in to WP; no need to download and install apps. Well, the downside of that manifested itself pretty quickly! Only Apple fully controls updates, and even if that were the case with WP, certain minor bugs may not warrant an OS update.

W10P has certainly come a long ways since its original release. That said, Microsoft still has their work cut out for them to accomplish by November!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
LOL, looked all through settings and couldn't find it. I guess it makes sense moving it to Cortana's responsibilities.

e50cffc5bb009ff8a569c2891e5d99ab.png

It's in the Cortana app. You don't go to the normal settings anymore. You go to get notebook then select settings there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes