Has MS Word lost the ability to open Text files?

SirMatt

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else run into this? Running W10M 10536.1004, and MS Word will no longer open text (.txt) files. This used to work on WP8.1.

spacesnow

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
And there is quite impossible to find any reliable app to open txt files at the moment. Very pathetic. Simple notepad anybody? Which is not hanging or suddenly closing. Tested 6 apps already now. Installed WP10 preview almost by accident and there are lot's of nice things but missing few basics. Can't decide whether restore 8.1 or not.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Installed WP10 preview almost by accident...

Really? You installed the Windows Insider app, started it, selected to receive builds, selected the fast, or slow ring, and then accepted the big warning that says things might not work all by accident? :wink:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep, sucks Word no longer opens .txt files. I have a bunch of them on my OnDrive. I guess I really should copy and paste them into OneNote and be done with it.

spacesnow

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Really? You installed the Windows Insider app, started it, selected to receive builds, selected the fast, or slow ring, and then accepted the big warning that says things might not work all by accident? :wink:

:) Yup, my goal was to get Denim 2nd update but I got instead 10 Prev. Actually I am quite OK with that, now trying to figure out is it normal to get discharge speed 2,7% per hour. Thats the only concern with 10 Prev. And of course the txt file thing.

SirMatt

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Good catch. It opens as READ ONLY. The information box at the top tells you to save it in an Office file format to edit. Sucks.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Good catch. It opens as READ ONLY. The information box at the top tells you to save it in an Office file format to edit. Sucks.
For plain text files, there are a number of text editors in the Windows Store. I have a couple installed and works great.

Microsoft Word really wasn't designed as a text editor. It is a Word Processor. Maybe Microsoft should convert Notepad to UWP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes