Windows Device Recovery Tool - Work Offline

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Back after a while & seeing as a new build came out this week, had to rollback from W10M to WP8.1. Earlier I used to just plug in my phone, click Lumia/Nokia Software Recovery Tool & it would just detect the phone & start re-installing 8.1.
But today, it tells me to get WDRT, which I did, but then it started downloading the whole 1.5 GB pack. Fidgeted around with settings, but couldn't find any work offline checkboxes or anything really.

So anyone know if theres any such feature available, if yes - a small tutorial would be nice.
If not... well hope I don't have to revert back to 8.1 again this month.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey, I managed to trick that app! Downloading 1.5 Gb of data every time is just idiotic, hope they'll fix that in the future.
Anyway, open C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages, that's default Package location...where 1.5 Gb are stored, go there CUT all files there and PASTE them somewhere else. (NOTE: to do this successfully you need to begin download of package for your Lumia only once, disconnect from internet when download is about 99% and CUT those files PASTING them somewhere safe. Whenever you'd like to recover your phone simply copy those files back in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages folder, that way WDRT will be tricked into downloading only 1% which is awesome.) Then connect your phone and launch Windows Device Recovery Tool. Select your phone in there and start recovery process. It automatically deletes files in Package folder :( and starts downloading whole Package again, then disconnect from internet. Next step is that you go to old Package which you have cutand pasted to other location, go there and copy all that files back to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages overwriting Package data whose download you interrupted with internet disconnection :D And final step is: connect to the internet return to Windows Device Recovery Tool, which you left open, and click Try again. Now it should download remaining 1% and install 8.1 to your Lumia.
Hope it helps. :p

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that, the path was exactly what I needed, rest of what I did is a bit different though.

Open WDRT > Ellipses > Settings > Packages > Use Custom Path > Browse > New Folder.
Make a new folder & cut, paste all the files under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages (provided you have already downloaded the files).
Now just connect your phone & voila - goes straight to installation, after checking compatibility ofc.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you can do that way too, makes life easier :D , but sometimes app misbehaves. I had encountered some issues making WDRT to download or install in custom folder location, and also tool sometimes won't install already downloaded packages. NOTE: it's also safer for other people to just download 1% instead of copying full Package and installing right away sometimes, because if wrongly or partially copied things would theoretically go bad thus bricking their phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon