Screen wakeup issues

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've been getting a particular set of issues on W10 mobile on my L640 for a number of builds relating to screen wakeup that I'm struggling to understand. Periodically, three things will stop working at the same time: Glance screen, tap to wake, and alerts/alarms waking up the screen. This most often happens when I'm charging the phone. Sometimes a soft reset will resolve it, sometimes it takes several resets.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does this combination of issues make sense to anyone? I'm guessing it has something to do with the screen's ability to be woken up. Maybe the proximity sensor? The power button always works to turn the screen on. I'm starting to think maybe it's hardware, but the fact that resets help seems to suggest otherwise.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed it too on L535, tap to wake sometimes fails, not very often though. I guess its related to touch; Gestures & touch, and in your case Glance settings apps on Win10M. Report yours on Windows Feedback app.
Note: I've noticed issues getting worse when on charger, or USB cable, using different USB and/or phone charger seems to solve that.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Great to know that someone else is experiencing something similar. I've reported each issue through feedback. But the strange thing is that they all happen at the same time. If glance isn't working, I know tap to wake also won't work.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, my new hypothesis is that this is related to the Proximity sensor. I think the sensor is registering as something being in proximity and therefore keeping the screen off, even when it isn't. If I breathe on the top edge of the front face and wipe it with a cloth (where I believe the proximity sensor is) the glance screen briefly shows up.

I do have a tempered glass screen protector on, and I wonder if it's interfering. It's a wonderful screen protector otherwise so I don't really want to remove it - they're not easy to install without getting lint or dust caught between the screen and the protector.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
If the screen protector was working before the upgrade to windows 10, then I would rule that out. Odds are the sensor would not be bad, but rather the firmware, or drivers may be malfunctioning.

In windows 10 mobile, the ability to tap to wake seems to have been removed. My wife used the tap to wake feature in windows 8.1 and loved it, but on her new 950, the feature is absent. The glance screen app functions as it apparently is supposed to, but taping the screen does not wake the device.

I do not know if the feature is going to be added later or had been removed for security reasons. This could also have something to do with the retina recognition unlocking feature that is supposed to be added at some time, like on the pc.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
OK, my new hypothesis is that this is related to the Proximity sensor.
Switch off double tap to wake, and see what happens.

In windows 10 mobile, the ability to tap to wake seems to have been removed.

Only on the 950 the function is removed.

I also have the problem on my 930, but if I disable double tap to wake, everything is and keeps working fine.
So I think the problem lies there.
On my wifes 925 there is no problem, and she has glance and double tap to wake functioning ok.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
As far as it just being the 950 that is missing the double tap to wake, I have a 950 XL, my wife has a 950, neither have it available. My 1520 that I upgraded on the insider preview does not have it either.

There was also an article here on Windows Central that addressed the fact that it appeared to be removed from the Windows 10 Mobile OS in general. If the ability to perform this act is still present on your 930, it could be a left over remnant from Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 upgrade instead of a fresh install (hard reset). The hard reset after upgrade would presumably flush all of the remaining 8.1 software on the device.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I tried turning off Tap to Wake and my glance screen came back. I guess tap to wake and firmware and the proximity sensor together somehow aren't interacting right.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
As far as it just being the 950 that is missing the double tap to wake, I have a 950 XL, my wife has a 950, neither have it available. My 1520 that I upgraded on the insider preview does not have it either.

There was also an article here on Windows Central that addressed the fact that it appeared to be removed from the Windows 10 Mobile OS in general. If the ability to perform this act is still present on your 930, it could be a left over remnant from Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 upgrade instead of a fresh install (hard reset). The hard reset after upgrade would presumably flush all of the remaining 8.1 software on the device.

With the 950, I also meant the XL.
Anyhow, here is the story of my 930.
After having used W10 on my older 925 for some time and different builds, I felt comfortable to upgraded my 930 from 8.1 to at that moment the 10536.36 version. It had random reboots, but for the rest was working ok.
I did a factory reset/hard reset with restore from backup, and the phone is working great since then (except for double tap to wake)
You said that all 8.1 remaining software would be flushed after this hard reset, but I also have Here maps/Drive still available for me on my Phone....

So maybe because my 930 is on W10 since the last 2 builds, it still has Here drive, and double tap to wake?, I don't know.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded my L920 to W10M and after a hard reset, glance and double tap did not function correctly. After I got stuck in a reboot loop for an update, I had to hard reset again and since then, the do not function at all. The proximity sensor now seems to see something near all the time so that I can not hang up the phone. I think this is also the reason why glance is not working for me :-/

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded my L920 to W10M and after a hard reset, glance and double tap did not function correctly. After I got stuck in a reboot loop for an update, I had to hard reset again and since then, the do not function at all. The proximity sensor now seems to see something near all the time so that I can not hang up the phone. I think this is also the reason why glance is not working for me :-/

Search forium, there was a iussue between glance and sensor conflict, someone had an idea about disabling wake on tap if I remeber

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I've tried it and it didn't work. I think I'll revert back to 8.1 in a few months and install W10 again, since I also read that a hardware reset bricks the glance. I don't know if it's true, but I'll give it a try when I have time :) Nevertheless, thx for your idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes