Features that people forgot

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who had a Nokia symbian device could probably remember these features which somehow got lost when creating the first Lumia smartphones. The basic idea of a smartphone was to be able to do more and not less

These features went missing:
  1. Ability to tether your cellular data connection with a pc using USB. This is a more reliable connection in my opinion and less battery hungry
  2. Ability to connect your phone to the tv via USB and access content like photos or music. This doesn't exist in any lumia so I have to copy my stuff to the pc and then connect the pc to the tv via HDMi or VGA and then view the photos. Longer route
  3. Ability to receive multiple files via bluetooth and not have to open each and every file so that it is stored
  4. Again with bluetooth files, where do they go? My classmate can send me a pdf file which I receive in my lumia but I also want to copy to my pc. But I can't find it.
  5. Data counters is expanded in functionality but also reduced in some areas. I can't see how much data has been sent or received in the last session or over all time
  6. Call and message counters - total time on calls, calls received, calls made, duration of last call etc. How many messages I sent or received. All those are missing

Add yours below

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who had a Nokia symbian device could probably remember these features which somehow got lost when creating the first Lumia smartphones. The basic idea of a smartphone was to be able to do more and not less

These features went missing:
  1. Ability to tether your cellular data connection with a pc using USB. This is a more reliable connection in my opinion and less battery hungry
  2. Ability to connect your phone to the tv via USB and access content like photos or music. This doesn't exist in any lumia so I have to copy my stuff to the pc and then connect the pc to the tv via HDMi or VGA and then view the photos. Longer route

1. 1 - On my 650 - 10586.164 - There's a new USB settings which allow Internet Sharing via USB. At last.

2 - I red about DLNA + Miracast support integrated. I can use connect Video and Photo normally wireless to Windows Media Player on an enabled pc, but I have not DLNA or MIracast TV for testing

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
1 - On my 650 - 10586.164 - There's a new USB settings which allow Internet Sharing via USB. At last.

2 - I red about DLNA + Miracast support integrated. I can use connect Video and Photo normally wireless to Windows Media Player on an enabled pc, but I have not DLNA or MIracast TV for testing

It's not about wifi. or dongles or such. just direct connecting with a tv without purchasing something extra or getting an expensive tv with wifi. All modern tvs have USB ports, what are they for?

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
The USB ports are for flash drives, for playing videos or music or viewing pictures.

Micro USB ports would require SlimPort capability for a USB connection to a TV. Only devices I can think of off the top of my head with this is Google Nexus 7s (Second Gen). Given that no older Lumias support OTG, none of them are going to support SlimPort even if the OS supported it.

As for the Bluetooth files, that's largely a dead protocol. Lack of security meant that most manufacturers stopped allowing file transfers at all, or greatly restricted them. It's not removing features, it's closing holes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes