Other iPhone converts?

Starfire

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So is it just me or am I really loving this OS over iOS 4.2. Been using an iPhone from the very first day they ever came out but the OS as just gotten stale, tired of countless screens of icons.

Only a few additions to WP7 and I'd be as happy as I could be.

Visual Voice mail, I can't believe this isn't there, I can't always answer my phone at work and how much easier it is to just flip though them on screen.

Everything else is pretty minor for me, custom ringtones, custom theme colors, I wish I could sort though apps by letter like on the contact screen, to me that would have been a given to do and really that's about it.

I never used multitasking much on my iphone so I don't miss it, of course more apps, but that will come in time.

I love the Super AMOLED screen on my focus, it's not retina resolution but the colors and contrast make up for it. Also now that I turned a few things off my battery life is pretty good too.

Also my first experience with zune pass, wow I love it! Too bad I have $30 in itunes gift cards. I've been using Windows for years along with OS X and love them both for different reasons but never though I'd love a Windows phone OS this much, so smooth and fluid not that iOS isn't but android always seemed a bit rough around the edges and jerky. It's nice to have something fresh!

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Switched from an iPhone 3GS to a Samsung Focus. Pretty painless, but there are a few items I miss from iOS.

As the OP mentioned, visual voicemail is one. Another is the inefficient method in which Applications save and reload their states. The total lack of smooth state saving and loading is disappointing, especially the "resuming" screens. Though this seems to be the developers at fault, as some apps like Beezz seem to resume near instantly without a resume progress screen.

Also, data loading in general seems to crawl in comparison to the iPhone. Loading new data in native and third party apps is painfully slow sometimes(8 seconds on the People hub via WiFi). It's character data (XML, RSS), what's taking so long??

The Zune app is pretty good, except for the missing equalizer, and not being able to use direct input to jump spots in a song. Also, the Zune controls for previous song on the headphones don't have enough breathing time to allow you to jump to previous songs. You have be very fast in order to jump to a previous song with the triple press, otherwise you end up hearing the start of the same song over and over again.

Overall WP7 is a pleasure to use, but the signs of a 1.0 version are visible throughout the user experience. After a few updates, I'm sure it'll be up to par with iOS and Android, in these areas. Though in many other areas, WP7 exceeds them.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I have visual voicemail. It's just not built into the OS. I use YouMail, and it kicks considerable ***. The other great thing about youmail is that my voicemail follows me between phones. Until there is a decent multi-protocol IM client for WP7 (soon, I think. Very soon.) I switch back and forth between the iPhone 4 and the Focus. I prefer the Focus, but I have a client that has no cell service, and just enough wifi to be able to use IM, so I need BeeJive. When I switch my SIM card, I just dial the youmail activate number, and my visual voicemail is setup. Good to go. :)

Starfire

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I would like an equalizer, but what surprises me more, is the lack of an equalizer in the desktop zune software, at least I haven't found it.

I have tried youmail, but just seemed not as nice as something integrated right into the phone app.

Also I have already hacked in a custom ringtone :D It would just be nice to have a sanctioned method.

SanFranMan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm a solid Apple guy. I am close to celebrating 2 solid decades as a "smug Apple user." I worked as an Apple Campus Rep in college and had an internship with Apple in Beijing. I had an iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS, and would have had the iPhone 4 were I not living in India at the time.

In other words, I am as predisposed to preferring Apple anything over MS anything as you can get.

Nevertheless I really, really like WP7. It's the first smartphone to try a different paradigm instead of just taking the iOS app launcher paradigm and tweaking it.

It makes iOS look dated (which it is) and Android just look like a mess (which it is).

I find it attractive (it really pops, especially on an AMOLED screen!) and functional. For the first time, MS has made an OS I like using. The touch responsiveness is on par with iOS and webOS, and much better than Android. Same for the soft keyboard. That said, here are the reasons I'm probably going to return it before the 30 day trial is up:

-Mobile IE sucks. MS should have just used WebKit rather than try and reinvent the wheel, and they could have used that spare developer time to develop...

-The Missing IM program. The fact that MS neither had an IM client of their own (even just for MSN!) nor ensured at least one 3rd party developer had one ready to go at launch (or, say, 3 months after launch) is a gross oversight. This makes the phone unusable as my full-time phone.

So I'm going to return it (probably on day 28 of the 30 day trial) and then see what Palm announces, maybe wait for iPhone 5, and of course see just how MS does in solving these dealbreaker problems.

sdchris

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow, you really do have a phone addiction problem. I don't think any product out in the U.S. will be hands down better than another until they integrate using credit cards or implanting a chip in the phone so you can buy gas, groceries and other stuff.

I got wp7 from basic iphone 3g because I like xbox and xbox live. The games are cool and I think microsoft does a good job on them. I hope they update the software soon. I will remain patient until they do so.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I miss:
Visual Voicemail
Fast Task/Application switcher (or what Apple calls "multitasking")
Global search
Speaker/Mute/etc options showing automatically when on a call
Favorites list for phone numbers
Batch sms deletion
ESPN sports app
Gtalk app

Things I don't miss
Keyboard with no personalized autocorrect dictionary
Smaller screen
iTunes ecosystem
Staid, boring UI
Intrusive and inelegant user notification system for things like text messages
Dropping calls repeatedly

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
I gave up an iPhone 4 for the Focus. The only thing I truly miss is the front camera. Now with Skype updating their app to allow video, I think I may go back for a while or at least until WP7 comes out with a front cam support. Hopefully the second batch of phones will have front cams along with a native Live Messenger app with video support.

BWB8771

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In the HTC Hub, there's a free app called "Sound Enhancer" - it has an equalizer (provided you're using external speakers/headphones)

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Having no ESPN app is killing me lol

I hear ya. ESPN has a nice mobile site, but their ScoreCenter app for Android/iPhone is really nice. Hopefully they have a WP7 version in the works.

I downloaded a free app called "Scores", but it's not that great. Last I checked it wasn't even giving me up to the second NFL playoff scores.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes