iphone vs Office Hub

Light Speed1

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
does the iphone compete, on a 1st party native level, with the MS Office Hub? can it open .docx, powerpoints, excel spreadsheets without needing a 3rd party app?

Im wondering because I never had an iphone, and I couldnt imagine having a phone that doesnt support opening powerpoints, .docx, excel spreadsheets, etc??? and if so, how well does it do it???

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
iOS Office Productivity

Honestly, you probably should have asked this question on an iOS forum. I'd be interested to see how it is answered.

I have friends with the 3G and 4, and when I ask them what they like about their devices, office productivity is never mentioned. They just rave about Angry Birds, and the fact that they have a FF camera, but no one has given examples of actually using said camera.
Just my perspective.

I agree that I would go mad without access and editing abilities to/for documents.

Last edited:

seb_or_sam

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
From what I know the iPhone can natively open microsoft office documents if you get them as attachments in an email and such. But it can't edit them without 3rd party apps- QuickOffice or Docs2Go for example. You can only view them. Also, I'm not sure how great the support is since I haven't carried an iOS device in quite a while- the last one I had was my first gen iPod Touch, which finally broke about a year ago.

commo

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
The iPhone supports viewing all those types of documents and more. You will need a third party app to edit as noted in the previous post. Below are the file extensions that you can open on the iPhone.

Mail attachment support
Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes