The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-10-2012 03:55 PM
71 123
tools
    I have my own 7-10 "let-them"s, but I don't think not granting them to me is because I'm considered dumb. I'm on my 6th smartphone OS, and I've never had one without a personal set of why-can't-Is. My first-or-so wpcentral post was an "I-can't-believe-I-can't-do X,Y,Z"; but, as my signature reads...

these "dumb" software developers and hardware designers have never understood me. ;)
    10-24-2011 09:20 PM
    Yes. back to the topic at hand, which is about one volume setting for everything.

What could possible be the reasoning behind this? What was microsoft designer thinking? That users don't need separate volume for listening to songs? This is just as unbelievable as not letting users set custom ringtone (before mango)... What do you guys think the reasoning behind this?.

Do they actually think this is a smartphone? Even a dumbphone can do both of those easily.

Go figure...

(Someone should get fired at Microsoft for making this silly & bad decisions..)
    10-25-2011 01:02 AM
    I'm holding off buying a HTC Titan to replace my Focus (which replaced my ZuneHD, but ended up replacing my Atrix while it was at it) SOLEY because of the volume control. It's annoying the heck out of me, and how I use it (in car: music, calling, and maps, in order of importance). Maps has a teeny voice, calling is even less loud, and music is deafening.

All this over the 3.5mm jack-->car stereo. Doing this on my Atrix, Inspire, and Aria was perfect. Much better than my old BT Car speaker, which simply didn't have enough speaker power to overcome road noise while driving. Focus... it's annoying me very much.

I swear, stilly stupid oversights like this lead me to question whether MS really cares about the smartphone market at all, or is this just a "next gen Kin" push to them? It only took until Mango for a proper TradCN IME pad, too... (and even so, it's still worse than my 1st gen iPod Touch's).
    Last edited by jeremyshaw; 10-25-2011 at 03:40 AM.
    10-25-2011 03:33 AM
    This sucks. I cant listen to my music or watch video at night because the volume are all tied together. Playing video at night at x volume with alarm/ringtone/notifications at max is my preference. For the love of fap, independent media, ringtone, and alert in the next update please.
    10-25-2011 04:13 AM
    I would listen to the music player at night but alerts and ringtone have to be down at volume 6 too, which is ridiculous. Maybe someone can develop an app that allows for separate volume controls... especially for the keyboard. I'm surprised there isn't an app already in marketplace for this problem..
    10-25-2011 07:11 AM
    I would listen to the music player at night but alerts and ringtone have to be down at volume 6 too, which is ridiculous. Maybe someone can develop an app that allows for separate volume controls... especially for the keyboard. I'm surprised there isn't an app already in marketplace for this problem..
    One of the reasons that Windows Phone is so much smoother and more stable than Android is that Microsoft build the OS not allowing developers access to core device controls like volume.
    I still think that it is unacceptable for there to be as little volume customization as there currently is. It definitely needs to be improved.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express
    10-25-2011 07:25 AM
    One of the reasons that Windows Phone is so much smoother and more stable than Android is that Microsoft build the OS not allowing developers access to core device controls like volume.
    I still think that it is unacceptable for there to be as little volume customization as there currently is. It definitely needs to be improved.

If developers had access to core functions, and I buy a new windows phone, it won't run smooth? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have the option to download things that suits an individual's needs? If it doesn't run smooth anymore its because of what you as a phone owner put on the phone..not because developers are "allowed" to develop things. Don't see Microsoft's rationale.
    10-25-2011 07:53 AM
    You see people using Android loading their devices up with all kinds of deeply integrated and controlling apps, and then they b!+ about the device being slow. It is still a computer. Microsoft just knows what people want; a better user experience, even if they are going about it the wrong way.

Smartphones are progressing. The percentage that consider themselves "phone geeks" is becoming overshadowed by those that just want to effectively communicate with the people in their lives.

10-25-2011 01:57 PM
    You see people using Android loading their devices up with all kinds of deeply integrated and controlling apps, and then they b!+ about the device being slow. It is still a computer. Microsoft just knows what people want; a better user experience, even if they are going about it the wrong way.

Smartphones are progressing. The percentage that consider themselves "phone geeks" is becoming overshadowed by those that just want to effectively communicate with the people in their lives.

I wanted a smartphone simply because they are made nicer than regular phones... and to have the convenience of checking e-mail and internet. I got the Trophy because its made by HTC and it was cheap. Ordered it over the phone through Verizon and when I got it, I couldn't believe what I was looking at. I've been trying to get used to it though, and I keep running into alot of what's, why's, and how's...and not to mention, alot of wtf's...lol
    10-25-2011 02:34 PM
    I wanted a smartphone simply because they are made nicer than regular phones... and to have the convenience of checking e-mail and internet. I got the Trophy because its made by HTC and it was cheap. Ordered it over the phone through Verizon and when I got it, I couldn't believe what I was looking at. I've been trying to get used to it though, and I keep running into alot of what's, why's, and how's...and not to mention, alot of wtf's...lol
    Frequenting this forum is a good start to adjusting to using a smartphone.
    Most people here are very willing to help out with serious questions. If you are not satisfied with your experience, just go back to what you had before. (I mean that in a good way.) I think that most here would rather see a happy user of something else, than a disgruntled user of Windows Phone. I bet Microsoft feels the same way.
    Good luck!! :-)
    selfcreation likes this.
    10-25-2011 02:48 PM
    Amen Burn Ethanol!
    10-25-2011 03:35 PM
    The problem is Microsoft is missing a basic feature in phones, let alone smart phone feature. Im just here to criticize for the betterment of the platform. Really, I hope Microsoft is listening and give us more volume option soon.
    10-26-2011 02:19 AM
    Frequenting this forum is a good start to adjusting to using a smartphone.
    Most people here are very willing to help out with serious questions. If you are not satisfied with your experience, just go back to what you had before. (I mean that in a good way.) I think that most here would rather see a happy user of something else, than a disgruntled user of Windows Phone. I bet Microsoft feels the same way.
    Good luck!! :-)
    First off, ever since I got this phone I been posting questions or visiting in these forums and I can't believe how helpful you people are... As someone using wp7 that had no idea what it was before I got it, this is my observation (and by no means am I criticizing): this phone is made for people who are involved with or love Microsoft, and want a device made by them because its not your run-of-the-mill phone. It demands involvement (pinning and arranging tiles) because without doing that you wouldn't have much of a phone. There isn't a hard key for the phone dialer or even a dedicated soft key..its just another tile that must be pinned somewhere on the home screen. Which brings me to my next observation: wp7 is first a media player/networking tool before it is a phone. And again that's not a criticism, its what you would want getting this phone. ...So on top of being someone not knowing what this was before getting it and adapting to this different country ( so to speak) I at least would want some basic familiar settings and customization. Microsoft needs to reach out to a broader audience (while keeping the things that sets them apart from the rest) if thay want this OS to survive.
    10-26-2011 08:20 AM
    Dude. Every touchscreen phones now do not have decided phone button. THey are pin to the screen somehow. As default on IOS you get the icon on the luancher when you first boot up the phone, you can remove it once you get the system going. Same with Android. WP doesnt have a launcher so its pin as the first tile on the homescreen. I don't know what you are talking about. When you first get the phone new or reset, the phone app is there, top tile.
    Also, every OS has a learning curve. Every os has some level of involvement, e.g. getting itunes/zune. Pinning apps to homescreen, Android/WP. ETC.
    Of the three major platform in the US, WP is the most elegant and the easiest to get your information quick. On IOS, you have to open the apps to get your info eg. fb app, twitter ap. Android is a little better with custom widget. Complaining about learning a system is just stupid. If you dont want ot learn, go back to a simple phone.
    10-26-2011 10:32 PM
    You missed my point entirely- Im not complaining at all about learning the system..its very easy to figure out maybe too easy, because I keep running into questions like' why can't I do this?' or 'where's that function?' What I mean about the phone dialer is there's nothing that differentiates it from the rest of the apps/tiles that are all together on one screen (except that there's a pic of a phone on it.) Its just odd and unfamiliar to me. There are things wp7 does better than android and vice versa but I'm pretty sure android has a dedicated phone icon, usually next to a dedicated app icon at the bottom of the home screen. I don't know about iphone because I never used one. Staying on the subject of this thread, Microsoft should allow more customization like being able to control the volume of the keyboard, media, etc...if they want more people to convert to their platform.
    10-26-2011 11:20 PM
    I think you miss the point of the UI there. There is a pic of a phone on the tile and the name of the carrier. That itself differentiate the phone dialer from the other tiles. It also shows missed calls. It looks streamline with the rest of the ui, I dont know what more you want from it. IOS has an that looks like a phone, Android too. So does WP as stated above.

Back to topic. Yes WP needs to differentiated volume for media, alert, and notifications. All phones should come standard with that. I agree WP7 isnt doing itself any favors by not having it.
    10-27-2011 01:33 AM
    What I mean by the UI demanding involvement is that you wouldn't have much of anything unless you pin things to the homescreen. You don't have a wallpaper or any phone-dedicated core functions. In fact, if you unpin everything..you don't even have a home screen! And I know, your gonna ask why would I wanna do that? but it's just a point Im trying to make.
    10-27-2011 08:31 AM
    Must say I love wp7. I do however have a huge gripe. How in the **** is there not task specific volume settings? 1 volume setting for everything is super weak. How does something this simple continue to be overlooked?
    I agree completely. It's so annoying when I have to set my ringer on high to hear it across my home, then when I want to play music through headphones I have to reduce the volume, then when I want to make a call I have to increase the volume a little, and then when I stop using the phone I have to yet again increase the volume to hear the ringer. The volume control scheme on WP7 is atrocious.
    jdd77 likes this.
    02-19-2012 11:37 AM
    Sure it'd be nice to have separate volume controls. Do I think it's a pain to raise and lower the volume all the time? No it's actually incredibly simple to do. Pick your battles, for me this one is WAAYYYY low on the list of things I'd like to see.
    eric12341 likes this.
    02-19-2012 03:08 PM
    Sure it'd be nice to have separate volume controls. Do I think it's a pain to raise and lower the volume all the time? No it's actually incredibly simple to do. Pick your battles, for me this one is WAAYYYY low on the list of things I'd like to see.

To some people, media and facebook integration is very high on the priority list... To others, its basic phone functions. On wp7, its easier to check to see if someone likes your facebook status than it is to set the phone to silence & vibrate. I for one would definitely like to see better phone functionality..
    speedtouch and mb-dape like this.
    02-19-2012 03:22 PM
    MS isn't dumb (mostly), there's a reason they didn't just make it "really easy" to toggle a hundred features. One of the things I love about metro is how big the options/buttons are, how easy to hit them it is without having to squint at your phone and be totally precise. Think of the people with hotdog fingers. Where would they put these audio options to toggle off and on? Expand the drop down menu up top so that it covers half the screen? Have more than one icon on it so that people can complain it's too easy to hit silent instead of vibrate and vice versa? They wanted a minimalist design and personally I like it. Believe it or not I bet most people don't switch back and forth between on, vibrate, and silent several hours a day. They put the most common things on the surface, and put the other options beneath. If you can find a way for them to add that functionality in without ending up with buttons and toggles everywhere, then by all means share it with them. I bet they add it if it's a good enough balance. But no I don't want flips and switches and toggles everywhere like in Android, so that I have to be careful where I mash my finger when I'm swiftly navigating the UI.
    eric12341 likes this.
    02-19-2012 05:44 PM
    MS isn't dumb (mostly), there's a reason they didn't just make it "really easy"

Whatever their reasons..I still think a phone is a phone and a basic function like adjusting volume controls should be one of the easiest things to do.
    speedtouch likes this.
    02-19-2012 10:52 PM
    I agree completely. It's so annoying when I have to set my ringer on high to hear it across my home, then when I want to play music through headphones I have to reduce the volume, then when I want to make a call I have to increase the volume a little, and then when I stop using the phone I have to yet again increase the volume to hear the ringer. The volume control scheme on WP7 is atrocious.
    Totally agree! I switched to Lumia from iPhone 4 and it had it's own specific volume setting for ringtone that I could set the volume on a level that I wanted without having to toggle the volumebuttons up and down CONSTANTLY :mad: I remember when I got my iP4 back in 2010 the software only had "toggle the volume from the buttons" but after awhile APPLE*GAVE*THE*BETTER*OPTION*TOO! Now iPhone's have two options for ringtone volume (toggle or set level) while Windows Phone with it's modern Mango OS only have one (toggle) which SUCKS btw. Just last week I missed two calls 'cos I had forgotten my Lumia on a low volume level and I didn't hear the phone ring. Luckily they weren't important calls... :mad:

The reality is that every day more than once I have to adjust the volume and I have never played with the volume buttons this much with any of my previous phones, its getting really frustrating! I'm praying that Microsoft comes to its senses soon and gives us more options to control the ringtone volume. If they don't I'm afraid that the Nokia Lumia 800 will be my first and last Windows Phone :(

/Rant over

*sorry, just had to rant :blush:*
    speedtouch likes this.
    02-28-2012 06:02 AM

Welcome along to WPCentral pwaikon, you just can't beat a good rant. :D

Hopefully if you stay around until we get some updates, you'll have less to rant about.

Here's hoping anyway. :)

Windows Phone has so much going for it, but does have a few annoyances as you have discovered.

Hope they don't put you off too much. :)
    pwaikon likes this.
    02-28-2012 06:06 AM
    Click to view quoted image

Welcome along to WPCentral pwaikon, you just can't beat a good rant. :D

Hopefully if you stay around until we get some updates, you'll have less to rant about.

Here's hoping anyway. :)

Windows Phone has so much going for it, but does have a few annoyances as you have discovered.

Hope they don't put you off too much. :)
    Thank you for the Welcome :happy:

When I got my Lumia and discovered this "flaw" I thought to myself: "Am I the only one who finds this stupid?!?" and 'cos I'm by now used to the set-the ringtone-volume-to-a-spesific-level-and-it-stays-there-no-matter-how-much-I-toggle-the-volume-buttons, I cannot make myself accepting WP's way of doing it and say "it doesn't matter" 'cos it does SO*MUCH!

So yeah, that's my biggest gripe about WP7, other than that I find it quite great despite it's few annoyances like you said*and oh yeah, I'm gonna stick around :P. I'm sure I'm in love with WP7 after it gets some much needed updates :D
    02-28-2012 06:53 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD