Guide for Creating Custom Ringtones

Eanan

Sep 27, 2011
www.mixcloud.com
Thought people here might find this useful, Just been messing about on my laptop trying to get the custom ringtones, so heres how to get them:

Download Audacity here Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Install it

Open it, and Click and drag whatever song you want to create a ringtone from and drop it in the main grey area in Audacity

Let it load up the waveform of the song

Next find and decide what part of the song you want to be the ringtone. It has to be less than 39 seconds long to work as a ringtone by the way.

Now at the bottom of audacity, select your time line; what I find handiest to do is, select the start point of the ring tone you want, then enter the time in the "selection start" box.

Next, change the button beside that from "End" to "Length". Then under that, enter the length you want the ringtone to last for.

Next, go to Edit -> press Cut. Select File -> New -> Edit -> Paste

Go to File -> Export. Press the "save as type" drop down list, and select MP3 files. Name your ringtone, then select Options on the right of the window.

Change quality to 128kps I advise. Select Joint stereo if you prefer. Press OK, then Save it.

In the Edit metadata pop up window, leave everything empty apart from Genre. In genre enter "Ringtone". Select Ok.

Open Zune on your PC. Connect phone via usb. In collection, under unknown artist at the top of all your other artists, the ringtone should be there. Click and drag it into your phone on the bottom left to sync it.

Disconnect phone and on your phone, go to settings -> ringtones -> ringtone and at the top under custom should be your ringtone.

Done! :D

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't allow me to press cut, or 95% of the buttons for that matter after I do everything preceeding that. I got my ringtone, selected a starting point, selected a length, seems like I'm missing something?

gearhead05

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't allow me to press cut, or 95% of the buttons for that matter after I do everything preceeding that. I got my ringtone, selected a starting point, selected a length, seems like I'm missing something?

I ran into that too and discovered that if you played the part you selected to preview it and then hit pause, it won't let you do anything. You have to actually click stop.

And on another note, I was trying to do this yesterday and I kept getting the error that it couldn't find the mp3 codec or whatever and I had to download it. At that point I just said screw it because I didn't want to download extra stuff for something that I will rarely use.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
You do have to DL an additional encoder. After that all you have to do is open Audacity drag over the song from your PC library. Select the begining time. Select length and enter 39then select it back to end time. Click file and export selection. Save it. Edit Metadata window opens. Delete everything. In Genre type in Ringtone. Save. Drag to zune. Drag to phone. Hook phone up. Sync. Unhook phone. Settings/ringtons + sounds/rington. All your custom ringtones are at the top of the list.

It is very easy once you get it down.

amgray86

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how make your ringtone last the whole 39 seconds when someone calls? When I play the tone preview it is the full 39 seconds but when i set it and someone calls, it only lasts for maybe 20 seconds before it goes to voicemail, is there an option to lengthen the tone?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how make your ringtone last the whole 39 seconds when someone calls? When I play the tone preview it is the full 39 seconds but when i set it and someone calls, it only lasts for maybe 20 seconds before it goes to voicemail, is there an option to lengthen the tone?
I would imagine that's just the standard time before Voicemail kicks in on most carriers. Not an actual phone setting.

iCaptnSpaulding

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Its not the length of your tone its the time it takes your voicemail to kick in. I know you can change this on o2 by sending a code through dialpad but not sure about other network operators. Should find this easy through bing/google :)

homegeek

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I dont know where I am going wrong but I keep following your instructions and my ringtone never appears. I have attached the mp3 file but changed the extension to .zip. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

homegeek

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
According to the Zune software the ringtone has been added. I do not see it under ringtones and I do not see it under my music either. Does anyone know what else I can do?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills