This is Marketplace??

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
First off, I'm not the kinda person who likes to have their phone filled up with tons of apps so this isn't about which OS has more or who's better.. BUT there is very little quality over quantity in Marketplace. 90% of what I look for (and its practical things like tools or customization) is either broken, poorly rated, or simply not there. Calendar results are atrocious..why would that be? I type in "work schedule" and nothing shows up. I look for a different keyboard- maybe one with haptic feedback or larger keys..nothing. I want a location or WiFi toggle switch (that's not asking much, right?) all you get are links to settings. Type in "clocks"..all you get are alarm clocks. And there's very little to truly customize tiles or theme colors. Are you serious? The Metro UI is the BIGGEST selling point of wp7, the only thing you look at when you unlock your phone, and you can't customize it to your liking? The possibilities could be endless and amazing if you could. Can someone tell me why this is???

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well at lease the games apps are slowly starting to get better. but i agree we still have a way to go.

we dont have KEYBORED apps cause developers dont have access to that API to my knolige. BUT! you can get the APP SWYPE (a copy of swype any ways ) and then use copy past to put the text in whatever field you want ( which is kind of dumb )

Normally i dont rely on reviews unless it has atlases 10+ under that is normally the DEV boosting his own work.

the WIFI toggle thing is possible. it might be a homebrew doh. im not sure

Metro UI is what it is, simple yet interactive .. sort like the Iphone UI . simple but not interactive lol ...
the ONLY os that has custom UI is android. and thats how its gona remain. i do agree more colors would be nice (which is also possible with homebrew)

what more do you want as custom aside from colors??? you can already customize it the way you want ... only thing missing really is tile size of the tiles... witch no other OS does BTW..

being able to customize live tiles is 100% up the developer to allow you to change the live tiles updates... as for the shape of it, that’s Metro and it won’t change...just like ALL the Icons on Iphone are the same.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
First off, I'm not the kinda person who likes to have their phone filled up with tons of apps so this isn't about which OS has more or who's better.. BUT there is very little quality over quantity in Marketplace. 90% of what I look for (and its practical things like tools or customization) is either broken, poorly rated, or simply not there. Calendar results are atrocious..why? I type in "work schedule" and nothing shows up. I look for a different keyboard- maybe one with haptic feedback or larger keys..nothing. I want a location or WiFi toggle switch (that's not asking much, right?) all you get are links to settings. Type in "clocks"..all you get are alarm clocks. And there's very little to truly customize tiles or theme colors. Are you serious? The Metro UI is the BIGGEST selling point of wp7, the only thing you look at when you unlock your phone, and you can't customize it to your liking? The possibilities could be endless and amazing if you could. Can someone tell me why this is???
Regarding WiFi toggle switch, an app called Network Dashboard allows you to pin Mobile Data, Airplane Mode, and WiFi tiles to Start. You can't toggle the modes by pressing the tiles themselves, but the next screen will let you do it. At least you save one step.

I know it sucks not having the apps you'd like and being unable to do more with the UI. I'm not sure if that will change in the future, but I imagine Microsoft doesn't want people turning Windows Phone into something contrary to its intention. Perhaps WP7 is not the platform for you...yet.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft hasn't allowed the ability to:
1. Customize tiles
2. Change keyboards
3. Alter theme colors beyond presets
4. Have toggle switches

Don't blame the marketplace

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
when people talk about customizing tiles , im not sure i understand...

what exacly do you want to costomize with the tile?? make it round instead of square? lol

in other words you want to take the METRO UI .. and make it ... NOT a Metro UI? you can do that by buying a Iphone or android ... if i understand correctly.. lol

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
There are only a couple apps that I couldn't find personally. I'm not the type who has 100+ apps. I think the OS has pretty much everything you use on a daily basis built in. If you think Windows Phone is bad, check out webOS's market and you will appretiate what you really have. If people are really hung up on changing every little bit of the OS with there own themes, they should stick to Android. WP7 is not like Android, and sticks with its simple and unified theme which I love personally. But more colors would be nice as long as it doesn't clash with font color.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

what exacly do you want to costomize with the tile?? make it round instead of square? lol

in other words you want to take the METRO UI .. and make it ... NOT a Metro UI? you can do that by buying a Iphone or android ... if i understand correctly.. lol

Create your own double wide tiles, for one

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
You've obviously come from Android. You need to change your expectations of Windows Phone 7.

Nearly ALL of the things you have mentioned are IMPOSSIBLE to do on Windows Phone 7. Many of these limitations are imposed to keep the User Experience streamlined and consistent (unlike Android).

There are still gaps but this OS is only 1 year old and things like Custom Keyboards will likely come with time.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

Being able to make custom tiles and set functions for them, like shortcuts to things in the phone. Colors. Size. I never thought of making them round but hey, why not? I think the metro UI would look alot nicer if titles werent displayed under the tiles...an option for that? Nothing would make it "not" metro UI. These things would just "enhance" it. Are you afraid that if you were able to, say, make the tiles transparent or double-wide, your Wp7 would suddenly turn into an Android?!! Back to the topic of marketplace and what it lacks..do you agree with the other things?

Last edited:

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately for those who like to customize to their heart's content, Microsoft currently won't let you go wild. They're treading a middle ground between Apple's iron-fist and Andriod's openness

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
If you want to customise, go with Android, because let's be honest, it REQUIRES customising due it's ugly OS. The beauty of the Windows Phone is - it already works. It's already beautiful. If it's not for you... well... it's not for you. Ta ta. :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Custom size . is a GREAT idea ( i find ) but when that concept came up like 4-5months ago . MOST of the people where bashing and insulting it. saying it was dumb ..here is the problem with custom tiles size....

DEVELOPERS are LAZY!(which is weird considering they Wright 10000 lines of codes LOL) and would have to make a PIC resolution for EACH possible size of the tile. and that was the BIGGES complaint related to that Concept.

transparent tiles could work , but i for one would not like it . for this reason: i turn my phone on and want to see all my live tiles, not the one random picture ive got posted for the last month. ( i have a lock screen for that ) and having transparent TILES would revetr my attention to the PIC instead of what I REALLY wanted to see ( news , weather , e-mails text ect.. ) METRO UI is all about getting in and OUT as FAST as possible. This would slow that process down.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Regarding WiFi toggle switch, an app called Network Dashboard allows you to pin Mobile Data, Airplane Mode, and WiFi tiles to Start. You can't toggle the modes by pressing the tiles themselves, but the next screen will let you do it. At least you save one step.

I know it sucks not having the apps you'd like and being unable to do more with the UI. I'm not sure if that will change in the future, but I imagine Microsoft doesn't want people turning Windows Phone into something contrary to its intention. Perhaps WP7 is not the platform for you...yet.

yea I tried network dashboard for awhile but found it to be extra clutter because the "settings" tile does basically the same thing.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
yea I tried network dashboard for awhile but found it to be extra clutter because the "settings" tile does basically the same thing.
Right. You save one step at the expense of adding more tiles to your Start screen. Not ideal, I know.

wellsmanfu

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
OP, I feel you on some of these things, but I myself chose to just be patient for the dev's to make the apps we'd like. Some of the big dev's for iPhone and Android are dragging their feet still about WP7, so we're kinda stuck either waiting for them to "come to the dark side" as they seem to see it.

I know you are an informed consumer, so are most of us here, but did the sales rep, or reps, that helped you get your phone say nothing but negative comments about WP7? I got my phone while still working for Sprint and I was more knowledgeable than anyone in my store and the reps opinions about WP7 still made me hesitate to get it, and I'm the one who taught them what they know about phones. So, what I'm saying is that maybe the negative feeling lots of (uninformed) people have might be affecting your view about the marketplace and apps. Just a thought.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
OP, I feel you on some of these things, but I myself chose to just be patient for the dev's to make the apps we'd like. Some of the big dev's for iPhone and Android are dragging their feet still about WP7, so we're kinda stuck either waiting for them to "come to the dark side" as they seem to see it.

I know you are an informed consumer, so are most of us here, but did the sales rep, or reps, that helped you get your phone say nothing but negative comments about WP7? I got my phone while still working for Sprint and I was more knowledgeable than anyone in my store and the reps opinions about WP7 still made me hesitate to get it, and I'm the one who taught them what they know about phones. So, what I'm saying is that maybe the negative feeling lots of (uninformed) people have might be affecting your view about the marketplace and apps. Just a thought.

Actually, no one has misinformed me about anything..I don't know one person who owns, used, or even seen a windows phone, let alone know what marketplace is. Not one Verizon store (there are 7 in my general area) even carries a windows phone so no one advised or swayed my views in any direction there either. These are my own frustrations, not trying to be negative..just cant find simple useful things in marketplace..is all.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Actually, no one has misinformed me about anything..I don't know one person who owns, used, or even seen a windows phone, let alone know what marketplace is. Not one Verizon store (there are 7 in my general area) even carries a windows phone so no one advised or swayed my views in any direction there either. These are my own frustrations, not trying to be negative..just cant find simple useful things in marketplace..is all.

because a year after launch the Android Marketplace was just booming, right?. Anyway, extensive customization isn't happening and for a good reason. Microsoft won't even allow HTC to skin sense. The only people getting free range is Nokia and even they have said major changes are unlikely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas