Shocked at O2 rep's WP knowledge!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I popped into an O2 store to see if they had any info on the current WP 7.5 handsets coming to O2. When questioned the rep said: "the software isn't any different" to which I inadvertently interrupted and said "Mango has brought some big key features to Windows Phone... it's pretty different". He gave me a look and started fumbling his words as he clearly was making stuff up on the spot. I asked about the Nokia 800 and the HTC Titan so we

To cut a long story short, I popped into an O2 store to enquire about what current 7.5 handsets are coming to O2. Here are some of things I was told by a rep in the conversation we had:

"the latest software is no different from the last Windows Phone"

"Windows Phone are expensive so there's a chance we won't stock these phones"

"For Samsung handsets, we stick to Android because WP are extremely 'power-hungry". - A good one, I know.

There were a couple of other humdingers that I can't recall. Shocking! This was after going into Carphone Warehouse where they're Titan didn't work and the Nokia 800 was set to Chinese (kids, more than likely).

As a good Windows Phone Samaritan I changed the Nokia language back to English and put the O2 rep straight in his ways.

:D

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I must admit, I'm quite new to this; I usually research a phone myself and order it directly from the carrier I'm with. I just find it odd that these reps know so little about... well, their job.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The only techie I've seen in stores is at Carphone Warehouse where the employee cut my SIM for free to slip it into the 800. He was extremely interested in the platform and what Nokia has to offer with the Lumia family.

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Orange UK shops seem to have pretty good WP7 knowledge from my experiences and are probably the UK carrier which is most behind WP7. Phones4u are ok too (Although I hate P4U shops, pushy sods).

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Are there any geek-y phone sales reps who are actually passionate about the industry and technology in general? These people should be pioneers who advise those who do not know about phones and try their best to give the customer a phone to suit them and their needs.

If you were a rep, how embarrassing would it be to have, what you would class as a normal customer, tell you about the phones - KNOW YOUR PRODUCTS FFS!

Btw...Orange seem to be one of the best in plugging WP7, I was pleasantly surprised when they actually encouraged me to pre-order the Lumia 800

Last edited:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Orange UK shops seem to have pretty good WP7 knowledge from my experiences and are probably the UK carrier which is most behind WP7. Phones4u are ok too (Although I hate P4U shops, pushy sods).

I can vouch for this. It was an Orange rep who first introduced me to the Windows Phone whilst I was looking at Blackberry handsets in their store. It's a shame really as I would have made the jump from O2, but Orange couldn't match the tariff I was being offered, and more importantly, didn't offer the HD7.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
By far the worst in the UK are Vodafone. I once went with my wife (who was on Voda at the time and up for contract renewal a month later) about getting a new phone with her upgrade, as hers was broken. His solution was instead to let the old contract run out and start a concurrent one (i.e. pay twice) at a higher rate for a worse phone, and he genuinely thought he was offering her a good deal!

I had a really knowledgeable guy from T-Mobile speak to me once. Shame I didn't get his name, as when I phoned back to accept the deal he'd offered me I got a call centre drone instead who wasn't interested in anything other than getting me on a ?30 a month 2-year deal with a phone I didn't want.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
By far the worst in the UK are Vodafone. I once went with my wife (who was on Voda at the time and up for contract renewal a month later) about getting a new phone with her upgrade, as hers was broken. His solution was instead to let the old contract run out and start a concurrent one (i.e. pay twice) at a higher rate for a worse phone, and he genuinely thought he was offering her a good deal!

Nothing will surprise me nowadays. Someone at 3 did that to my mother and got away with it. By the time I had found out, she had already gone past her cooling off phase.

I had a really knowledgeable guy from T-Mobile speak to me once. Shame I didn't get his name, as when I phoned back to accept the deal he'd offered me I got a call centre drone instead who wasn't interested in anything other than getting me on a ?30 a month 2-year deal with a phone I didn't want.

Doh!

So it looks like O2 have really let the side down with their selection of Windows Phones. This year they are offering *drum roll*..... the Mozart! .... Yep, that's it. They've done away with the HD7s and opted for the Mozart. Looks like I'll be off come my upgrade. Orange here we come.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Wow, Vodaphone sounds just like Verizon here in the US. No wonder they teamed up for international roaming with Verizon "World" phones. It must be something in the V.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
They're the biggest, but not the best.

For example, a friend of mine up for contract renewal got a new iPhone 4S in white. Only Vodafone sent her a black one. Then, when they sent a replacement, it was also black. And when she spent another hour on hold with them for the second day running only THEN did they admit they were out of stock and they were hoping she'd just take it!

They're also the worst offender in the UK at least for preloading their phones with crud and themes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes