03-08-2015 01:44 PM
110 1234 ...
tools
    No. Just got my replacement HD7 and I've never had a phone crash this much. Can't find HTC YouTube in the market. Sound Enhancer still AWOL. Oh and you can't install free apps you already purchased from the phone through the Zune client. That perplexed me. Maybe the latest update would fix the crash issue, but it's telling me 7720 is up to date when I know it's not so I have to deal with their terrible update process to see if the phone I the issue or the fw update fixes it.

At least the keyboard hasn't closed on me yet, though.

Edit: Sent it back. This is where things like Apple stores come in handy. Flight on the sixth might not be able to get a device that works before then dealing with the carrier.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by N8ter; 12-27-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    12-27-2011 02:42 PM
    I would stay with that carrier until they went out of business, or I died. I would try and find a Tmobile branded WP7 and use it. Two bucks a month is really hard to beat.
    Nice to see people just tuning out the nay-sayers and enjoying their phones. My question is - does the cost of the carrier plan take away from it? Right now I'm on a T-Mobile prepaid phone that is literally costing me only about $2/month. So to go to a $90/month plan is a gigantic leap up in expense.
    12-27-2011 02:45 PM
    Issue with tmobile is that their coverage is terrible and that matters to people who use more than $2 day. Which is barely using the phone at all.

Tmobile plans with 2gb data aren't even $90 though. Those are AT&T and Verizon prices.

12-27-2011 03:39 PM
    I stopped reading this board daily and moved on to a weekly schedule, and that certainly helps w/ my enjoyment on WP7. Too many incorrect & negative rumours floating around that snowballs into angry lynch mobs.
    12-27-2011 03:50 PM
    Nice to see people just tuning out the nay-sayers and enjoying their phones. My question is - does the cost of the carrier plan take away from it? Right now I'm on a T-Mobile prepaid phone that is literally costing me only about $2/month. So to go to a $90/month plan is a gigantic leap up in expense.
    You really should ask about carriers and plans in another thread...
    12-27-2011 03:53 PM

Edit: Sent it back. This is where things like Apple stores come in handy. Flight on the sixth might not be able to get a device that works before then dealing with the carrier.

As a side note, I've found Verizon to be very good about sending a replacement device when I've had problems. They send you another phone and you use that package to send the old one back. Usually no more than two days to get the phone. Not as convenient as an Apple store, but I don't have to drive 2-3 hours.

As for the original topic, I absolutely love my phone. It's not perfect, but it does what it's supposed to do every time and it is smooth and fluid. I still play with my wife's iphone some, but it doesn't impress me nearly as much as it did when I used my motorola droid. I plan on getting another WP when it's time to upgrade.
    12-27-2011 03:58 PM
    As a side note, I've found Verizon to be very good about sending a replacement device when I've had problems. They send you another phone and you use that package to send the old one back. Usually no more than two days to get the phone. Not as convenient as an Apple store, but I don't have to drive 2-3 hours.

As for the original topic, I absolutely love my phone. It's not perfect, but it does what it's supposed to do every time and it is smooth and fluid. I still play with my wife's iphone some, but it doesn't impress me nearly as much as it did when I used my motorola droid. I plan on getting another WP when it's time to upgrade.
    At&t was amazing they have centers where you can walk in and exchange the devices, so you don't walk out with an obvious lemon.

Never dealt with Verizon before though I have always heard good things about them.

12-27-2011 04:46 PM
    I would stay with that carrier until they went out of business, or I died. I would try and find a Tmobile branded WP7 and use it. Two bucks a month is really hard to beat.
    But I'm using a Motorola feature phone from 2004. I can't even access the internet on it anymore. It's a real dumb phone. I have yet to see any smartphone plan as prepaid.
    12-27-2011 05:06 PM
    Despite a couple of bugs, 3 months later, I am still happy with my Terrific Trophy!
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-27-2011 05:11 PM
    Coming from WebOS, I didn't have high expectations and have been completely surprised and delighted by Windows Phone.
    Yep, I came from WeBOS as well (started with Blackberry), and it is amazing to think how much I have enjoyed it. Maybe the greatest compliment I can give it is I do not even miss WeBOS anymore. And I was all in on my Pre Plus, and really was depressed about what happened to it at the hands of Palm and HP. But, even if the open source works for HP, I am out. I spent almost a year testing Android, iOS, and waiting to see what HP would do with the Pre 3. I was nearly sold the first time I picked up a LG Quantum and made my AT&T shop turn it on. I was sold by the time I got to play with the Arrive. I love my Focus S, my Wife loves her Titan. I am WP for good unless Microsoft does something stupid.

And really, wouldn't we be missing something if there wasn't haters? The fact there are anti-Windows people out there is the best sign of it's progress. This time last year, no one cared. WP is a blast to use. Why anyone cares to bad mouth another OS is beyond me. But it is a sign those types of people are scared of the Metro Monster.
    12-27-2011 05:34 PM
    I'm on my second HD7 the first one lasted 11 months. this replacement unit the on/off button doesn't work. big fight with T-MO ATM. basically they sent me a replacement that someone else returned. with that said. the OS on the other hand is awesome. I've gotten Five people to switch over to it from both Iphone and Android.Though there are a few things that I whish they did over all the OS is great. the Info that I need everyday is right there on a tile. All that is needed is glance. If I need to see more I do. Really for a Mobile OS that is just a year old it's outstanding and it's only going to evolve and get better. It will that is, if MS makes shure that OEM'S don't dirty it too much.
    12-27-2011 06:44 PM
    I'm Enjoying it very much. I've never used a single phone as much as I have used my Titan. HTC Titan + Ath-m50 headphones = Pure Bliss.
    12-28-2011 01:50 AM
    i LOVE my WP7. I spend more time using it rather fixing it like when i had an iPhone and an Android.
    12-28-2011 05:43 AM
    I have been on WP7 since July and have had a Focus and now the Titan. Both have been exceptional phones and the OS has only improved withe update. Soon we'll have Tango in hand and it will only get better. This is my phone OS until further notice. I just think it's the future and it's nice not to have a phone everybody has, for now. With app numbers growing steadily and advertising picking up it's only a matter of time before people catch on and look our way when they want to upgrade.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express
    12-28-2011 06:05 AM
    My litmus test for whether I like a device or not is if I still enjoy using it even when it has the occasional issue. My Lumia certainly has a few teething problems - probably one random shutdown a week, a weird autofocus thibg on the video camera, and the occasional power on/off cycle needed to hook up wifi, and I *still* think it's fun.

The OS still needs a few things, the hardware isn't bleeding edge, and the app support isn't as good as other OSs, BUT the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts (which I think is probably true of most Windows Phones).
    12-28-2011 06:16 AM
    Being honest, if I didn't enjoy my WP on a daily basis, I wouldn't bother to post here...
    12-28-2011 06:36 AM
    I'm definitely enjoying my HTC Trophy after nearly 3 weeks. Actually, I'm finding myself using it more than my Motorola Droid 2, despite the fact the Droid 2 has a physical keyboard and an unlimited data plan. The only major negative of the Trophy relative to the Droid 2 is the lack of a notification light for emails on the Trophy.

Assuming there are WP OS devices with 4G LTE and physical keyboard by mid-2012, I'll almost definitely buy a WP to replace the Droid 2 in late 2012.

BTW, I think the Metro interface is great, superior to all other mobile operating systems. I'm looking forward to buying an ASUS Transformer-like device with attachable/detachable keyboard that has Windows 8 OS (which will also have the Metro interface) in the latter half of 2012.
    12-28-2011 06:53 AM
    In all seriousness, once you get a solid smartphone (with any operating system), you won't want to go back to a feature phone. This is particularly true if you don't talk and/or text much and are more interested in internet access, apps, and in general being able to get information almost anywhere, anytime.

Because $2/month is practically nothing, my advice would be to buy a smartphone from a pre-paid carrier on a month to month contract and see how you like it. (Such a phone would almost definitely be an Android, and even though I'm starting to believe WP is superior to Android, Android is good as long as you at least have a mid-level device.) There are reasonably well-regarded, off-contract Android phones from some carriers for under $200 (and possibly even cheaper if you buy through eBay) and you only have to pay month-to-month and can cancel without penalty at any time. Also, if you want something with T-Mobile, they are considerably cheaper than Verizon or AT&T, especially if you want unlimited minutes & unlimited texting.
    12-28-2011 07:10 AM
    Enjoying and discovering new stuff every day!
    12-28-2011 07:16 AM
    But I'm using a Motorola feature phone from 2004. I can't even access the internet on it anymore. It's a real dumb phone. I have yet to see any smartphone plan as prepaid.
    All the carriers have monthly smartphone plans. I'm on TMobile's 4G $30 a month plan with my HTC Radar. I get unlimited text and data, and 100 talk minutes b/c I rarely use more than 80 minutes a month for talking. I get great coverage with TMobile - maybe if you live in the middle nowhere you won't, but I get great speeds on their 4G network everywhere I've been so far.
    12-28-2011 08:33 AM
    ThatTree, were you expecting another Windows Mobile variation ?
    I was more concerned about the change from WebOS-style multitasking, which I used heavily. Mango app switching has turned out just fine for me, and there are so many other advantages: Zune Pass, Live Tiles (a nice balance between widgets and WebOS cards) and a healthier app Marketplace.
    12-28-2011 09:36 AM
    That's good then ThatTree, Happy Days! :D
    12-28-2011 09:38 AM
    Its the time of gnashing of teeth and cries of woe it seems, when it comes to WP7. I agree things (sales) could be better but all the doom and gloom is a bit much, dont you think? Of course our resident haters (like our recent addition from Xda) are using this opportunity to "discuss" WP7 but frankly for me, nothing has changed. Still enjoy using my phone, its still stable, fast, virus free, and still just works. Seems like all of a sudden there is a dedicated campaign to kill WP7.

So is anyone else just enjoying their phone amid all the disaster stories and crystal ball predictions of the demise of WP7?
    Super Quote Mode On

And I didn't understand the problem in the first place

Windows Phone is rocking atm ... just because someone says "WP should be shutted down" doens't mean he is right especially when he barely knows what he is talking about

Where I live, Nokia Lumia are selled like sliced bread
    12-28-2011 10:14 AM
    And of course My TITAN is hot as hll ...
    12-28-2011 10:24 AM
    Everyone I show my HD7 to loves it. TellMe is probably my fav feature. It works so well for me. When I show it to Android people, how I conduct a complete text msg convo 100% hands-free, they usually reply, "My phone can do that." To which I fein interest, "Really? Can you show me how?" Nobody's ever been able to show me. They usually reply, "Well, I've never used it, not sure how." Truth is... I own an Android. There are several options which claim to do this. vlingo is the best known with it's "vlingo in car" mode, but it doesn't work right. It's completely buggy. When it works, it only works for the first msg I send and often doesn't offer to read incoming msgs. Often it stops working half way through reading an incoming msg. Sometimes I even have to reboot the phone. It's crap frustration to the core.

Then there's not having to always go to back to the home screen and search for the icon for a releated app. So many things in WP7 provide means to launch related apps without going to the home screen... efficiency! What could be better.

By technical specs, my Android phone (the HTC Amaze 4G) is better than my windows phone. However, by user experience, my HD7 blows the Amaze out of the water. My HD7 is my phone, the Amaze is a toy.

I've gotten 3 people to adopt Windows phone and 2 more are preparing to switch.
    Big Supes likes this.
    12-28-2011 10:31 AM
110 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD