Why is Microsoft taking forever for bug fixes?

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I understand updating the OS and implementing new features takes time (I am a software developer so trust me....I know), but it appears to me that most of the common bugs (namely disappearing keyboard and TERRIBLE accuracy) are amongst all Windows Phone devices (I've had an Arrive and am now using a Radar and suffer from the exact same problems); this would cross out a reason for delay of bug fix updates due to different hardware (IMO) and really just result in software. Because Windows Phone was designed to be a seamless experience, regardless of the device, you would think Microsoft did this in an effort to make sure updates are handled properly and to speed up the update process (for both bug fixes and new OS upgrades).

I guess I was just expecting too much. I thought that Microsoft would come with bug fixes faster they took a good middle ground to have updates handled like Apple, while still offering options in different hardware. To me, it appears they're just saving bug fixes for each OS upgrade.

Could quite possibly be for this year only. Remember Windows 8 is slated for 2012. All of Microsoft's user experiences are getting an overhaul to match a seamless ecosystem. Quite possibly thereafter they might release faster updates, but only time will tell.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not true. Background tasks only stops the apps from doing certain things in the background. With photobucket, why does it need to do background tasks if I'm not uploading anything? Once you choose to upload, it can be turned back on, automatically.

Mango allows for fast-app switching. Only app I'll ever need to run in the background are music & navigation apps.

So going back to NoDo would not be the same as stopping background tasks... it's not stopping you from having them to switch to when using the fast-app switcher.

The fast app switching is borderline useless since most app types that really need it are restricted from multitasking, like background gps for example.

Fast app switching I literally never use because the OS clutters the list with duplicate instances of the same hub, among other things.

Photobucket I'm not intimate with but perhaps it uses a background task to keep a local cache of your albums in sync? Maybe? That seems like the obvious reason.

I didn't say going back was the same. I'm saying some of those features in mango are overvalued and aren't worth dealing with the bugs it introduced if you do have to disable worthwhile features to compensate. Background tasks are infinitely more important than fast app switching - to me. Even most android users would agree since the majority of users use an app and back/exit out of it when they're done, but highly value background updates/synchronization.

Going back to nodi would let me use sound enhancer which would in and of itself enhance my user experience on this device 500%.

Do you understand now?

As always, different users are different. So, you may not agree with that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe so many people aren't having decreased accuracy from NoDo to Mango. When the Mango Betas dropped I would purposely drop back to Nodo IMMEDIATELY right after downloading it onto my phone just to make sure I wasn't crazy when experiencing decreased accuracy.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yea before mango I could just smash my fingers on the keyboard and the text was flawless. Unless you type slow or don't type much at all I think it's borderline impossible not to notice this.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea before mango I could just smash my fingers on the keyboard and the text was flawless. Unless you type slow or don't type much at all I think it's borderline impossible not to notice this.

Exactly same experience for me. Like I said, I couldn't make a mistake in NoDo, even when I tried to mess up to see just how accurate it was. It was like one of the top 3 things that sold me on Windows Phone.

I kind of found a solution, and that is to use like more of the fat of your finger rather than tap at the keys. I find that when I do this the accuracy is less noticeable, but it is still to the point of annoyance....

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I just checked I knw I had downloaded enough apps to get the alphabet dividers but I only have 4 background tasks on the screen and two of tehm are turned off and it shows that2 are are because I havent used them in over a week. And I must admit (I hope I am not inviting problems) I have not to my knbowledge experienced a disappearing keyboard. Maybe because I only have two backgropund task apps open
It didn't happen when I had one or two apps in the background. As I started to install a lot of apps, then I noticed it.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I find that if I touch on the left rdge of a letter as opposed to the middle or right side of a letter or key that I am much more accurate. I have problems with the keyboard on my desktop and my laptop but I dont get too upset as I dont touch type. Nevr took typing in school. Learned how to type my way and it works best for me I type fater than my secretaries in the past who touch type.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... my original Arrive didn't have bad accuracy or a disappearing keyboard and my new Arrive doesn't either. I only replaced it because the speaker in the back died and I don't think they go through many phones in their replacement program. It was NoDo all the way when I got the new one.

Definite accuracy problems. I have to constantly proof and edit everything I type.

I do too but that's because I fail with all on-screen keyboards. WP7 has the first on-screen that i consistently use and don't get frustrated with.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... my original Arrive didn't have bad accuracy or a disappearing keyboard and my new Arrive doesn't either. I only replaced it because the speaker in the back died and I don't think they go through many phones in their replacement program. It was NoDo all the way when I got the new one.

I do too but that's because I fail with all on-screen keyboards. WP7 has the first on-screen that i consistently use and don't get frustrated with.

In NoDo the keyboard was perfect....in Mango it sucks...

firedancer1189

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The accuracy is absolutely awful. I started another thread about this a few days back not knowing this one specifically targeted the keyboard issues.

I am trying to be patient but it's becoming a deal breaker for me. We all know that text/email is the preferred method of communication these days, it's just a fact of life that more people text more than talk. I cringe when I hear a text notification because I know I have to use the god awful virtual keyboard that I once loved.

WP7 was once regarded as the best virtual keyboard in several non-bias surveys...that's right..better then Android and IOS. So it literally went from the best to the worst in this last update. I mean doesn't someone test stuff like this before they send out the update?

I am not giving up on Windows OS but I am looking for a decent used Blackberry I can use until this issue is addressed and corrected. The whole point of getting in and getting out on Windows Phone OS is pretty much negated by the fact it takes me three times as long to send a text message due to the awful accuracy it now has.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon