The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-06-2012 10:30 AM
63 123
tools
    they do have a new name.... it is now just Windows Phone.

But maybe Metro Phone or Xphone but they had to leverage the Windows brand but I think they underestimate the backlash against the name
    To be honest? I've always found the suggestion of "Metro Phone" to be super tacky, just like suggestions of "Windows Metro".

While the XBox brand is obviously a good one, the integration in Windows Phone still leaves much to be desired (not to mention the low quality of games) and might just disappoint further.

I think the Zune name lines up pretty well, but I'm not sure how the public would perceive it.
    Silverdogz likes this.
    01-02-2012 08:26 PM
    I like LiveOS. SkyOS wouldn't be bad either due to the high degree of integration with skydrive and cloud services. I think SocialOS or PeopleOS or something similar that shows the people centric approach MS has taken.

I agree that the Windows brand is in fact hurting Windows Phone sales. I think that MS should reinvent itself with a new name for its consumer line of products. Keep the Windows name for the business line, maybe minimize the Metro in the business release of the desktop OS too. People don't like using the same things at home they use at the office. Different UI's and Names would help MS keep their consumer products feeling fresh and "hip". Windows 8 at work LiveOS at home. Same code, can run the same apps, different main UI. Ties in with Xbox and the Live experience, call WP LivePhone. I think it would really help consumer perception a lot.
    01-02-2012 11:36 PM
    Microsoft's operating system is called windows yeah? You got that into your skull? It makes sense to call the mobile OS WINDOWS PHONE. What's not to get about that?
    Going out on a ledge here. But... Because it's not the same thing?

Egads!

Mitsubishi made a car called the Lancer. So their TVs should be called Lancers!
    01-02-2012 11:45 PM

Egads!

I understand what mkr may be saying... for your example, they would call them "Mitsubishi", whether it's a car or a tv. It would depend on the topic. If one were talking about cars and some said "Mitsubishi", then one would assume they were talking about the cars.

Microsoft wanted to get away from the WM branding w/o getting away from what everyone sees them as... which is Windows.

90% of the time someone sees my device, they say "oh that's windows" or something similar w/ windows in it. Those that aren't up on WP, but remember windows mobile make up the 10% that will say Windows Mobile.

Whether it's right or wrong, that's how it is... that goes for a lot of things/brands. Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. You'll more often than not hear someone say "that Sony looks good" versus "that Bravia looks good".
    01-03-2012 01:30 AM

Egads!

They're trying to create a unified brand. Windows on your desktop, windows phone on your phone. It's not difficult ......

Windows phone sounds so much better than some tacky and cheesy "people os" how about "sharing os" or "love your friends os".
    Last edited by duvi; 01-03-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: cleaning up....
    01-03-2012 07:13 AM
    The name "LiveOS" would suffer because people would think they have to use Hotmail, Skydrive, and Live Calendar (why don't they call it LiveMail and LiveDrive?) in order to use the phone. I don't want an iPhone mostly because I don't want to install iTunes on my computer. The same may be true for people who resist Live services; they just don't know that they can still use their Gmail or whatever it is they use.

Maybe MS should have called them "panes" instead of tiles. I definitely agree about the baggage the name "windows" carries though. I brought this up months ago and got torn a new one on this forum.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ion/178585.htm
    Last edited by Rhody; 01-03-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    01-03-2012 09:57 AM
    The name "LiveOS" would suffer because people would think they have to use Hotmail, Skydrive, and Live Calendar (why don't they call it LiveMail and LiveDrive?) in order to use the phone. I don't want an iPhone mostly because I don't want to install iTunes on my computer. The same may be true for people who resist Live services; they just don't know that they can still use their Gmail or whatever it is they use.

Maybe MS should have called them "panes" instead of tiles. I definitely agree about the baggage the name "windows" carries though. I brought this up months ago and got torn a new one on this forum.
    Only retards who can't work a computer hate windows....If you use your brain and common sense windows is fine. None of this "too many viruses gibberish". Besides...only a small group of people will make that connection.....
    01-03-2012 10:14 AM
    Only retards who can't work a computer hate windows....If you use your brain and common sense windows is fine. None of this "too many viruses gibberish". Besides...only a small group of people will make that connection.....
    The problem is those people are the ones selling smartphones.
    01-03-2012 10:18 AM
    I understand what mkr may be saying... for your example, they would call them "Mitsubishi", whether it's a car or a tv. It would depend on the topic. If one were talking about cars and some said "Mitsubishi", then one would assume they were talking about the cars.

Microsoft wanted to get away from the WM branding w/o getting away from what everyone sees them as... which is Windows.

90% of the time someone sees my device, they say "oh that's windows" or something similar w/ windows in it. Those that aren't up on WP, but remember windows mobile make up the 10% that will say Windows Mobile.

Whether it's right or wrong, that's how it is... that goes for a lot of things/brands. Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. You'll more often than not hear someone say "that Sony looks good" versus "that Bravia looks good".
    Don't get me wrong. I understand why they used the Windows name. It's because it's their strongest brand.

But equating Windows to Mitsubishi isn't accurate. Since Mitsubishi is the company. That would like be calling it Microsoft Phone.

My argument is that the Windows brand may be strong on the desktop, but it actually has a negative image on mobiles. Therefore, it would be more logical to brand it with something else that doesn't have the negativity associated with it. Especially since the OS itself doesn't bare any resemblance to "Windows."
    01-03-2012 10:21 AM
    They're trying to create a unified brand. Windows on your desktop, windows phone on your phone. It's not difficult ......

Windows phone sounds so much better than some tacky and cheesy "people os" how about "sharing os" or "love your friends os".
    Ah. Internet tough guys calling people names. lol

I have an opinion that Live would be a better unified brand in this case. You, apparently don't take well to others having a different opinion. And it makes you flip out.

Oh kids these days...
    Last edited by duvi; 01-03-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: cleaning up
    01-03-2012 10:23 AM
    Ah. Internet tough guys calling people names. lol

I have an opinion that Live would be a better unified brand in this case. You, apparently don't take well to others having a different opinion. And it makes you flip out.

Oh kids these days...
    Give over.

Get a grip. It's called Windows Phone..... GET OVER IT!

I flip out at the sheer lack of brains here...... It's REALLY not difficult to see why they called it Windows Phone .......
    01-03-2012 10:25 AM
    Don't get me wrong. I understand why they used the Windows name. It's because it's their strongest brand.

But equating Windows to Mitsubishi isn't accurate. Since Mitsubishi is the company. That would like be calling it Microsoft Phone.

My argument is that the Windows brand may be strong on the desktop, but it actually has a negative image on mobiles. Therefore, it would be more logical to brand it with something else that doesn't have the negativity associated with it. Especially since the OS itself doesn't bare any resemblance to "Windows."
    In my opinion, Microsoft Phone is pretty good. It's like Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word. In fact, they could have called it Microsoft Phone with DevOS and advertise that the operating system is designed to be easy to develop for. Keep the name of the device simple for the consumer and target the name of the OS to developers. Microsoft Phone loses the "windows" baggage too.

This whole topic is interesting, but it's too late. Microsoft will not start all over.
    01-03-2012 10:25 AM
    Give over.

Get a grip. It's called Windows Phone..... GET OVER IT!

I flip out at the sheer lack of brains here......
    Get over it? It's not a big deal to me at all. I bought the product. I'm okay with the name. I just happen to have an opinion that the name isn't the best for marketing a mobile handset.

You really should take a deep breath and step away from the computer.
    fifthGear likes this.
    01-03-2012 10:29 AM
    In my opinion, Microsoft Phone is pretty good. It's like Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word. In fact, they could have called it Microsoft Phone with DevOS and advertise that the operating system is designed to be easy to develop for. Keep the name of the device simple for the consumer and target the name of the OS to developers. Microsoft Phone loses the "windows" baggage too.

This whole topic is interesting, but it's too late. Microsoft will not start all over.
    I'm sure there are quite a few different names that could possibly spur interest. Maybe Microsoft Phone would do it. Who knows?

As for not starting over... well, Windows Phone is them starting over. So it isn't unprecedented. Though I agree that their chance at giving it a good name was better before the initial launch.

I think they made 2 mistakes. Calling it Windows tied it to Windows Mobile.
    Numbering it 7, tied it to Windows Mobile.

Windows 8 on the desktop looks like MS is almost starting over. The Metro Style interface is being added, and the traditional Windows desktop is actually being relegated to being an app. So there is a chance for some big change this year.

We don't even know for sure if the next iteration of Windows will officially be called Windows 8. Every other version of Windows had a special code-name for when it was in development. This version's code name is Windows 8.
    01-03-2012 10:34 AM
    Maybe you should step away from life....

cheeky motherfu....
    Really?
    01-03-2012 10:39 AM
    Really?
    That's lame...

. Calling it Windows tied it to Windows Mobile.
    Numbering it 7, tied it to Windows Mobile.
    Only to a select group of people....a number so small and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You ask a 16 year old school girl if she wants a windows phone she isn't going to say "no, it's windows mobile isn't it?"

Not enough people will actually make that link.
    01-03-2012 10:43 AM
    That's lame...
    So were your insults. So we're even.

:)

Only to a select group of people....a number so small and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You ask a 16 year old school girl if she wants a windows phone she isn't going to say "no, it's windows mobile isn't it?"

Not enough people will actually make that link.
    I wish that were the case.

Unfortunately, 16 yr old school girls aren't the ones spending the money on smart phones. Most don't even have jobs.

And probably the biggest problem with people equating it with WinMo is when it comes to people actually selling the phones. Or other tech geeks who are currently Android or iPhone owners. These tech geeks are often the ones that regular people turn to for advice with their mobile phone purchasing questions.

So, the negative association doesn't have to be wide spread among all consumers. But it is wide spread among people of some influence.

I've seen the link made MANY times. I'm surprised that you haven't seen it.
    01-03-2012 10:52 AM
    So were your insults. So we're even.

:)

I wish that were the case.

Unfortunately, 16 yr old school girls aren't the ones spending the money on smart phones. Most don't even have jobs.

And probably the biggest problem with people equating it with WinMo is when it comes to people actually selling the phones. Or other tech geeks who are currently Android or iPhone owners. These tech geeks are often the ones that regular people turn to for advice with their mobile phone purchasing questions.

So, the negative association doesn't have to be wide spread among all consumers. But it is wide spread among people of some influence.

I've seen the link made MANY times. I'm surprised that you haven't seen it.
    Well it's the parents isn't it. I see that some people may think it's going to be the same as windows mobile but I'm a tech person so I have heard of it. I don't really think enough "non tech " people are aware of windows mobile and how atrocious (apparently, I've never used it ) it was
    01-03-2012 10:56 AM
    Make your point be civil to one another its the Windows Phone Central way.
    cedarlog and jfa1 like this.
    01-03-2012 01:25 PM
    I think it's too late for a name change now. but a name change would have been good at the start. Why?

1. Distance from Windows Mobile
    2. Distance from desktop Windows

And as mentioned above, WP7 doesn't even HAVE any Windows on it or any similarity to desktop Windows (and even when Win 8 comes in, that's still going to be limited to start screen look), so the name link is a hangover from when Windows Mobile DID look like desktop Windows. And before the whole "It's what their biggest product is" starts up again, what's Microsoft's biggest consumer HARDWARE product? Is it the Windows Xbox? No - because they knew tagging the Windows name on it would be like a lead weight round its neck. And is WP7 aimed mainly at business types who'll appreciate the Windows brand? No - it's aimed at ordinary consumers.

Windows to most people is office and work and what they have on their home PC that nags them about updates and the like. Android isn't called Google OS. iOS isn't called Mac Mobile. Even Zune isn't called Windows Music Player, and nor was the hardware. With WP7, Microsoft bizarrely tied two completely different products together with a brand name that's meaningless on one of them because of the name of their previous, completely incompatible, outdated and largely disliked mobile OS that at one time looked like their desktop OS used to; somehow this legacy was thought worth keeping when a fresh new name, or even a name more in line with their similar products (Zune OS? Xbox Phone? LiveOS?) might have worked much better.

It was an odd choice, to say the least.
    Reflexx and fifthGear like this.
    01-03-2012 03:18 PM
    Most of the world does not have a negative association with Windows/Microsoft and it is one of the most recognized (and pirated) brands in the world. The US has roughly 4-5% of the worlds population and we a not reproducing like we used too. Microsoft is building a simple interface that appeals to the broadest possible demographic. They can roll out updates unlike Apple/Google. They allow other companies (Nokia, HTC, Samsung) to make the hardware and market to the real growing consumer markets for MS phones, India/China/Indonesia/Africa. So don't change the name, just keep marketing in the growing economies.
    01-04-2012 01:19 AM
    Most of the world does not have a negative association with Windows/Microsoft and it is one of the most recognized (and pirated) brands in the world.
    Doesn't have to be a negative association, just one that doesn't suit the demographic you're aiming for.
    foosball likes this.
    01-04-2012 04:41 AM
    Two years down the line, when Windows 8 has been out for a while, and the two platforms (desktop and mobile) share the same Metro look, then it'll make more sense.

Four years down the line, when the Metro UI is the accepted norm for Windows devices, calling it anything other than Windows Phone will seem wierd.

I agree though, at the moment Windows Phone is an odd choice of name, given the Windows Mobile history. I've forgotten how many times I've had to say to people, "No, it's Windows Phone, not Windows Mobile. The two are completely different."
    01-04-2012 04:52 AM
    Two years down the line, when Windows 8 has been out for a while, and the two platforms (desktop and mobile) share the same Metro look, then it'll make more sense.

Four years down the line, when the Metro UI is the accepted norm for Windows devices, calling it anything other than Windows Phone will seem wierd.

I agree though, at the moment Windows Phone is an odd choice of name, given the Windows Mobile history. I've forgotten how many times I've had to say to people, "No, it's Windows Phone, not Windows Mobile. The two are completely different."
    I find it amazing when you see tech journalists write articles referring to it as Windows Mobile.
    01-04-2012 10:54 AM
    I agree the name is a problem, it is combination of Windows and Microsoft themselves. Windows mobile at the time was actually a damn fine phone although prone to reboots and poor battery life but then you could say it was ahead of its time.

I quite like the "sexual badger" as suggested by cgk1 but suspect although a talking point would probably suffer the same problem but for different reasons... Badgers spread TB!
    01-04-2012 11:15 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD