Google Mail Won't Open

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So this problem appeared out of nowhere. All of a sudden I touch my Google Mail Tile, it attempts to open, then just swings back to screen where I tried to open from. Contacts sync fine. Tried rebooting, deleting Google account adding back in, POP IMAP etc... The number of new email indicator is working.

This seems to have coincided with my Gmail switching to the new web interface. Tried my settings there too to no avail.

Running Mango Samsung Focus v1.2

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a long shot idea check your reserved space by plugging in to Zune make sure its not eating up all your usable memory space. Some how mine got bumped up to around 4GB and IE started crashing on me I reduced this to 1 GB and have not had an issue sense.

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a long shot idea check your reserved space by plugging in to Zune make sure its not eating up all your usable memory space. Some how mine got bumped up to around 4GB and IE started crashing on me I reduced this to 1 GB and have not had an issue sense.

Will try that at home. This is not specific to Gmail. Same problem with Hotmail too. Just won;t open.

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Tried the memory thing. Was at 5% and I increased it to 40%, but did not help. I really do not have that much stuff on there. Going to hard reset, and if that does not work then the WP7 experiment is over, and iPhone 4S will be in the picture.

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Did a hard Reset, and no dice. no mail will open - not Hotmail, not Gmail. Well, off to Best Buy tomorrow to give Apple $700. Microsoft has their work cut out for them.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry you had an unfortunate experience. But your experience is not the normal. I understand you wanting it to just work. And your iPhone might just work for you and you will be very happy. But people have just as many problems glitched often with the iPhone like this as well. Sometimes crap happens. It is very odd that resetting your phone did not fix it. How did you "reset" your phone? And how is your gmail and email setup in general; because I got 5 devices I can touch in person (not all mine!) and it works just fine.

Also, you can get the iPhone cheaper online then you can at BB stores! Also, you might consider finding a used one online until your upgrade comes around, if it is not too too far away.

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry you had an unfortunate experience. But your experience is not the normal. I understand you wanting it to just work. And your iPhone might just work for you and you will be very happy. But people have just as many problems glitched often with the iPhone like this as well. Sometimes crap happens. It is very odd that resetting your phone did not fix it. How did you "reset" your phone? And how is your gmail and email setup in general; because I got 5 devices I can touch in person (not all mine!) and it works just fine.

Also, you can get the iPhone cheaper online then you can at BB stores! Also, you might consider finding a used one online until your upgrade comes around, if it is not too too far away.
I have had 2 iPhones, 3 Macs, Windows boxes, , and iPad, joli OS, Ubuntu, an Android phone and while the WP7 UI paradigm is nice the thing just does not work well. Their update policy is horrid too, and I have a feeling my fix is being held up in the latest update. MSFT just really does not get it. Never had any unfixable problems with my iPhone or Android phone. Apple stuff is rock solid in comparison to MSFT products.

The reason why i try so much stuff is I build UIs - and i experiment with it all. But a good Ui is useless if the thing has many problems, and this is not the only issue I have had here.

I do have a Best Buy protection plan, so maybe I can get an exchange.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Guess I am the luckiest guy in the world then. Six WinMo phones and now my Surround the past 14 months, all from HTC, and not a single problem. Curious, why blame Microsoft for something that sounds like a memory chip/SD card problem. If you want to *****, ***** to Samsung. Btw, I am pretty sure WP updates have been near flawless, again except for some Samsung devices, because they didn't play by the rules. Oh well, enjoy you new phone. I know I will when the Ace is released.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Guess I am the luckiest guy in the world then. Six WinMo phones and now my Surround the past 14 months, all from HTC, and not a single problem. Curious, why blame Microsoft for something that sounds like a memory chip/SD card problem. If you want to *****, ***** to Samsung. Btw, I am pretty sure WP updates have been near flawless, again except for some Samsung devices, because they didn't play by the rules. Oh well, enjoy you new phone. I know I will when the Ace is released.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
So a single app won't work and it is a chip problem? Here is a video of the issue:

Windows Phone Mail Epic Fail - YouTube

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ohh wait, I might know what your problem is. You have a Focus. Did you put a SD card in it? If you do not put a good enough SD card it will cause system problems like this!

If so, take it out and do a hard reset. It is nobodies fault but your own then; as there is detailed information about what type of SD card to use that came with the Focus!

As for the update process, yes, it is not as good as Apple, but 100X better then Android. And to say that Microsoft is the only company with problems and say Apple and Android systems are perfect is just trolling.

But again, I want you to be as happy as you can with whatever works for you! I am not trying to force you to stay on WP7 and hope whatever you choose works out best. I just have the personal opinion that this is the best system as of right now!

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Ohh wait, I might know what your problem is. You have a Focus. Did you put a SD card in it? If you do not put a good enough SD card it will cause system problems like this!

If so, take it out and do a hard reset. It is nobodies fault but your own then; as there is detailed information about what type of SD card to use that came with the Focus!

As for the update process, yes, it is not as good as Apple, but 100X better then Android. And to say that Microsoft is the only company with problems and say Apple and Android systems are perfect is just trolling.

But again, I want you to be as happy as you can with whatever works for you! I am not trying to force you to stay on WP7 and hope whatever you choose works out best. I just have the personal opinion that this is the best system as of right now!

Never added an SD card. Not trolling, like I said I think MSFT has a great UI here, but they need to exert better manufacturer control and quality if they want to boost their market share.

Either way, I actually have the Best Buy warranty, so maybe I'll be able to get a new one. We will see how well BB stands behind it.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Never added an SD card. Not trolling, like I said I think MSFT has a great UI here, but they need to exert better manufacturer control and quality if they want to boost their market share.

Either way, I actually have the Best Buy warranty, so maybe I'll be able to get a new one. We will see how well BB stands behind it.

I had a ex GF that worked for BB mobile. The impression I got was they did pretty well with regards to the mobile warranty. So you might be able to try a new Focus, or switch over to another device with no problem.

mcwop

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well the warranty worked out, got a replacement Focus, and traded it in for an iPhone. Sorry but MSFT is not moving fast enough. Enjoying MSFT's awesome Photosynth on my iPhone, which is no go on WP7 since apps do not have camera access. MSFT has a long way to go in the phone space.

Noce UI paradigm, but just not mature enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes