PocketNow Windows Phone 8 Exclusive

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Exclusive: Windows Phone 8 Detailed

Hardware changes

According to Belfiore, the overarching theme with regards to the Windows Phone 8 hardware ecosystem will be scale and choice. Specifically, Apollo will add support for multicore processors, new screen resolutions (a total of four, although actual pixel counts weren't specified), and removable microSD card storage. It's clear that Microsoft is addressing one of the platform's pain points, which is a perceived inability to compete in spec sheet comparisons with the iPhone and Android-based devices.

NFC radios will also be supported, with Belfiore placing specific emphasis on 8's push into contactless payments. The "Wallet experience," as he calls it, will have to capability to be carrier-branded and controlled, either by a secure element on the SIM card or utilizing hardware in the phone itself. In addition, tap-to-share capabilities will reportedly work across multiple platforms, allowing desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones to all share content.

Windows 8 integration

Windows Phone 8 won't just share a UI with the next-generation desktop and tablet OS, apparently: it will use many of the same components as Windows 8, allowing developers to "reuse -- by far -- most of their code" when porting an app from desktop to phone, according to Belfiore. He specifically mentions the kernel, networking stacks, security, and multimedia support as areas of heavy overlap.

Moreover, Windows Phone 8 will reportedly scrap integration with the desktop Zune client in favor of a syncing relationship with a dedicated companion application. In other words, Microsoft is bringing back a (presumably) richer version of ActiveSync after letting that program die out for the most part.

The Xbox Companion app, currently found on Windows Phones, will see a partner client on Windows 8. Skydrive support promises seamless sharing of data between devices; Belfiore gives the example of instantly having one's music collection available on a newly-purchased Windows Phone, without the need for a PC sync.

It sounds like the tagline for this so-called Windows 2012 relaunch, or "Windows reimagined," will be "The New Familiar."

Application ecosystem

Microsoft expects 100,000 apps to be in the Marketplace (tipped for imminent worldwide availability) at the launch of Windows Phone 8 -- rumored by WMPoweruser as happening sometime in the fourth quarter. The biggest news on the app front is probably the addition of native code support, which will enable more powerful applications as well as ease the porting of code from programs initially developed for iOS or Android.

Also mentioned is support for app-to-app communication, as well as a revamped Skype client that hooks directly into the OS, letting Skype calls behave almost identically to regular, non-VoIP telephony. The camera will now be based around so-called lens apps: Microsoft provides a basic camera interface that can either be skinned by OEMs or overlayed with viewfinders from third-parties. Belfiore gives the example of a lens app that combines burst mode with smile detection to capture a perfect portrait shot.

Data management

One of the main highlights of the overview was a feature called DataSmart, which aims to reduce, and simplify the tracking of, data usage. Besides providing a breakdown of data consumption, as other platforms already do, Windows Phone 8 will actively attempt to give Wi-Fi connections precedence, going so far as to automatically connect to carrier-owned WLANs when in range. To that end, the Local Scout feature of Bing Maps will enable the real-time location of nearby hotspots. Data usage will also be made glanceable thanks to a live tile.

Perhaps most interesting is Windows Phone 8's planned use of a proxy server to feed pages to Internet Explorer 10. Like Opera Mini and the Skyfire of old, this service uses server-side compression to reduce the amount of data required to view websites -- in this case, by a claimed 30%.

Business support

In an attempt to recapture the enterprise, Windows Phone 8 is said to add native BitLocker encryption -- the same 128-bit, full-disk encryption found on Microsoft most recent desktop platforms. So-called "line-of-business" applications are also gaining support, allowing businesses to deploy proprietary, tailored software behind their company firewalls.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
already people complain about active sync

first they complain about the lack of SYNC ,, now they complain about a better sync system... lol i miss active sync from WM, i loved it . made it so easy!

also expecting people complain about lack of features mentioned. lol ( its just a rumor people)

trying to avoid a 10 page thread about it lol.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm not sure about is the change from Zune. I like the Zune software, but if they make the experience even better for the phone than I'll be happy. I just like having the Zune software for both my Zune 80 and my phone because I don't have to do things twice.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm not sure about is the change from Zune. I like the Zune software, but if they make the experience even better for the phone than I'll be happy. I just like having the Zune software for both my Zune 80 and my phone because I don't have to do things twice.

Same boat. I like having Zune as a one stop shop. If MS can integrate office apps into Zune sync then I'd be even more happy. However, I'd hate to see the Zune software become irrelevant because I use it all the time. I think MS should be expanding the functionality of the Zune software, not limiting it. In fact, I'd like to see a more advanced Zune player replace Windows Media Player as having both of them is somewhat redundant.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
already people complain about active sync

first they complain about the lack of SYNC ,, now they complain about a better sync system... lol i miss active sync from WM, i loved it . made it so easy!

also expecting people complain about lack of features mentioned. lol ( its just a rumor people)

trying to avoid a 10 page thread about it lol.

Exactly!!! Personally, rumour or not I know WP8 will be good whatever it ends up having. Just need a 900 to tide me over.

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I really like the Zune software and I hope MS doesn't scrap it.
One of the main reasons I wanted a Windows Phone is that I own a ZuneHD and I really like both it and the Zune software. It's so elegant and different from other software.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Maybe it just wont be called "Zune", since that service is prominent on the Xbox so I cant see it being killed but maybe just given a new name. And this is probably aimed at what the sync solution will be under Windows 8 which seems to be going with a different name for its media playing solution.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like there might be a smaller and lighter application for syncing your phone with your computer. But I don't think that necessarily mean that it won't integrate with Zune. I think it just moves Zune to being more of a choice as opposed to a necessity.

Zune will be more feature rich. But the dedicated syncing app will be faster and simple to use.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Same boat. I like having Zune as a one stop shop. If MS can integrate office apps into Zune sync then I'd be even more happy. However, I'd hate to see the Zune software become irrelevant because I use it all the time. I think MS should be expanding the functionality of the Zune software, not limiting it. In fact, I'd like to see a more advanced Zune player replace Windows Media Player as having both of them is somewhat redundant.
Someone who's on the same page as myself. Zune should be replacing WMP or vice versa. It also needs to be expanded further not eliminated. I think thats just a mistake in the report or info obtained.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not worried about Active Sync its only going to get better. They probably merged alot of the Zune features into it so no biggie Microsoft knows what they are doing they are the underdogs this time.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather not see a change away from Zune either, but given that we don't know what format anything will take on in Windows 8 (PC) it's too early to judge. I'm hopeful that they mean a small light Metro app for basic management and then you can still use full desktop style Zune if you want.

Anyway, glad to see they're going after business/corporate again and I guess the data management stuff is pretty nice though even with what I would consider pretty regular use I've never been anywhere near my 500mb data limit.

All I really want is the Skype integration to be honest. I have no interest in WP entering a hardware arms race with Android, couldn't give a toss about NFC, Dual-core, higher res screens as long as there are mid-range options when it comes to upgrade time.

I'm slightly concerned that they're compromising their vision of what the OS and the handsets should be to appeal to a small number of people who are never going to switch anyway. Time will tell, look forward to hearing more, though I imagine that this "leak" is pretty much exactly what will be said at MWC.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I love the idea of the sync process being fully integrated with the OS, BUT, I think Zune is beautiful, and I hope they retain some of the graphical aspects of it and integrate into the music player.

I do not blame them if they ditch the name Zune altogether. The the mention of it is enough to make people roll their eyes and scoff. They have to overcome that stigma if they hope to increase marketshare.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm open to an alternative to Zune. It's clunky and, only today, it had randomly decided to duplicate nearly all of my music and attempt to sync it. [confused] My playlist is a complete mess.

Windows Media Player with the Marketplace and Windows Phone 8 support bolted on makes infinitely more sense than a weaker brand and software counterpart.

All in all, it's what I expected and I'm stoked. Just don't let us down on the screen resolutions Microsoft. :)

M

mkr10001

I hope current WP users will benefit from a lot of this (Obviously not the physical improvements) but the skydrive thing and apps written with win8 code.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
apollocv.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital