Go back in Internet Explorer, how?

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Starting to think this may be a device bug since I can not find much info about it. I am using a HTC Titan.

If I am using Internet Explorer and press home, start another app or something, then switches back to IE (either by long hold back or just tap the tile), I can not go back in IE. The back button just takes me back to Home or the app I was using before.

Any solutions?

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Really?

This is so irritating because I often get a message when I am browsing, and after reading and answer the message I can not go back to my previous pages in Internet Explorer.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Same here, it just goes back to the page you were on after launching another app then returning to IE, or do you mean something else maybe mb-dape ? :dry

Would hitting ... and recent work for you then ?

Last edited:

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Same here, it just goes back to the page you were on after launching another app then returning to IE, or do you mean something else maybe mb-dape ? :dry

Would hitting ... and recent work for you then ?

Sorry if I was unclear, English is not my first language, so maybe I didnt use quite the right words. But yes, I did not mean go back to IE, I meant that after switching back to IE, I wanted to walk back in the history of visited pages. Like on your computer when you use Internet Explorer and press Backspace.

I can use the back-button on the phone just fine normally. But after switching to some other app or Messages and then back to IE, the back-button does not do the "back to the page before"-action. It takes me away from IE and to the previously used app.

Feels like a bug.

But yes, pressing "..." and Recent was almost as good, thanks for that! Embarrassing that I missed that one.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
You can still go back in IE if you swap to another app or something.

Lets say you go IE page > IE page > IE page > Homescreen > Contacts > Mail

The back button works like a step back through the path that you took. Yes, you can jump backwards to IE, but it will take you to the last page you were on and pressing back (in this example) will take you back to Mail.

However, if you use the back button to go backwards through your steps, like so:

Mail > Contacts > Homescreen > IE

Then you can move backwards through the pages you looked at.

Hopefully that helps explain it. It's not ideal and it can be frustrating at times; I'm hoping it's something that's being looked at for an update.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I was unclear, English is not my first language, so maybe I didnt use quite the right words.
But yes, pressing "..." and Recent was almost as good, thanks for that! Embarrassing that I missed that one.
Your English is fine mb-dabe and glad we got a solution for you. Maybe not quite what you were looking for but if it works it'll do for now maybe. :D

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Navigation is a hassle when I forget that WP7 is not W7, or WM. When I do remember, it is merely a nuisance. I've learned to go to another app -when responding to a mail notification, for instance- by hitting the Windows button to bring up the home page and navigating through the mail tile. Then, when finished with mail, I hold the back/multi-tasking button to bring up the same web page. And yes, this back button does not work as logically/simply as the IE one (usually) does -less usually when at wpcentral, btw. ;)

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
just click the ... from any page you are on and select add to favorites
add a new favourite as "back"

in the web address type

javascript:history.back()

you can make a forward favourite too,

in the name type "forward"

in the web address type

javascript:history.forward()

;) .. thats it, its a temp solution... but what to do

Last edited:

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
it works fine for me, what i do is i pinned google.com to the start screen. so every time i open it, it starts at google.com, so i can use back until i get all the way back to google.com where i started, then it will exit.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Great solution SSK.

For others, just click the ... from any page you are on and select add to favorites. Then you can follow his steps. I was trying for a couple minutes how to add a favorite from the favorites page. Poor reading comprehension I guess.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but of course IE needs its own back and forward buttons.

Going to Recent works in most cases, but when browsing some pages, some forums and others, Recent just saves the main page, for example forums.xxxxx.com and not the threads or posts I have visited.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon