skydrive downsizes photos

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I suppose this is an old topic, but it's news to me, and I found surprisingly little mention of it. I recently tried to upload photos from my phone to Skydrive and found they were drastically resized, with apparently no option to upload at full size.

This makes SkyDrive useless to me, either as photo backup or as a way to transfer photos to my PC. And in fact I have just a little problem with MS calling this "SkyDRIVE" if it isn't really storage. If all they wanted to offer was a photo sharing site, they should have called it SkyShare.

Is there no way around this? Are there any announced or rumored plans to upgrade this service to something useful?

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Skydrive and Windows Live services in general are getting an overhaul (proof, just recently launched: account.microsoft.com).

Also, Windows 8 comes with full Skydrive integration, so don't move to the alternatives just yet, new things are coming and full resolution photo uploads might be one of them.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Win8 has nothing to do with SkyDrive destroying your photos when it auto uploads. Neither Google instant upload it Apples dies that. I found that out on day one and have never us it since.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Win8 has nothing to do with SkyDrive destroying your photos when it auto uploads. Neither Google instant upload it Apples dies that. I found that out on day one and have never us it since.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Well f*ck a doodle doo for you.

Anyways, never knew that either. It does suck that it down sizes though. Thanks for the heads up OP

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
They had to do something to handle that 32MP camera that everyone will be clamoring for as soon as the 12, or maybe 16MP shows up this spring.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well f*ck a doodle doo for you.

Anyways, never knew that either. It does suck that it down sizes though. Thanks for the heads up OP

Gratz on circumventing the word filter, and I know you're trying to be cute and all, but the technology Windows 8 uses to Sync stuff derives from Live Mesh.

It truly has absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with Windows Phone and how it Syncs pictures to SkyDrive. Any comparisons between the two (or using Win8 SkyDrive integration as some sort of example of something) are literally baseless and only dilute conversation about the issue being discussed in this thread.

Simply, Microsoft should not be automatically downsizing images without the option to disable this "compression method." It literally destroys some images. Details visible in the source image can become invisible in the downsized image, and it degrades the image quality as well.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware of this, but don't have the feature turned on anyway, since I take more pictures than I want to save. I'd rather use the SkyDrive app to save the ones I want and not chew up the battery syncing the ones I'll delete anyway.

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
so like MS

Unfortunately this is just sooooo typically Microsoft - pour R &D money into a new product or service, but make sure it's signficantly crippled or limited in comparison to what's available elsewhere; push it via tie-ins to other MS products, rather than its own merits. Then watch it die in the market, and after a couple years, plug the plug.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Gratz on circumventing the word filter, and I know you're trying to be cute and all, but the technology Windows 8 uses to Sync stuff derives from Live Mesh.

It truly has absolutely NOTHING AT ALL to do with Windows Phone and how it Syncs pictures to SkyDrive. Any comparisons between the two (or using Win8 SkyDrive integration as some sort of example of something) are literally baseless and only dilute conversation about the issue being discussed in this thread.

Simply, Microsoft should not be automatically downsizing images without the option to disable this "compression method." It literally destroys some images. Details visible in the source image can become invisible in the downsized image, and it degrades the image quality as well.

Again f*ck a doodle do for you.

Does it look like I even care? The point is that OP spotted that photos are downsized from the original picture size when uploaded from your phone onto SkyDrive. Did I make any comparisons to Win8 and SkyDrive in my post?

Oh and yes my original rely to you was snarky because you like to always interject how "awesome" you think you are by having realized something first and that's why you don't do it. Not really trying to silence you, but just pointing it out.

NO. Why? Because I could care less of the technological differences as much you do. Do you even listen to anything other than your own thoughts when you post?

Oh and for the mods and admin, sorry, but just to let you know this is the last I'll say in this thread.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you people retarded?

I said that Skydrive is being upgraded alongside with Windows 8, and photo compression might be one of the things that is changed on the server end.

Nice job on not knowing how to read and instantly making this thread go up in flames!

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I just found out that you can avoid the downsizing by using the SkyDrive app to upload the photo as a file. Pointless hoop-jumping, but lets me get full size photos to my PC without connecting by USB.

jandieg.b

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Try this app

skymanager_5.jpg
skymanager_6.jpg

Odessiter

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads