Blackberry devotee considering WP7

sris

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Last week i mentioned that i gave up the BB 9900 and got myself the Lumia 800. WP is excellent, and Lumia makes it even better (interms of great hardware, screen etc.).

Keyboard was not a huge deal for me, even though i prefer to type on the physical one.

But i missed the customization that quite a few pointed out here. Like for example sound profiles, LED and BBM too. Also when doing things a little faster, 9900 wins for me.

So i went back to 9900 again, for now. Will compare BB10 and Wp8 and take a call later this year. Till then i am going to be following all the posts and threads on WP central (Well, sometimes i feel may be i should have retained the Lumia 800).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have used a BlackBerry since June 2009. Before I used BlackBerry, I was a Nokia user.

Most likely I will get the Nokia Lumia 900 next week. My BlackBerry 9700 is getting really old and slow. I am not a fan of iOS or Android. I've kept my upgrade since May 2011, hoping for BB10, which has not arrived yet.

At this point I need a new device, since the 9700 is getting painful to use. I've always like Nokia's hardware. Also, AT&T is rolling out LTE in my city by summer, so I want an LTE-capable device.

It looks like the Nokia Lumia 900 will best meet my needs, but I will also check out the HTC Titan II when I visit the AT&T store.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a hard time making it 2 years under contract because I feel the need to change more often than that. Some say spend the money off contract and change as often as I like. While this is true it doesn't make very sound financial sense.

It only makes sense if you go to like a prepaid MVNO and whenever you switch phones sell your old phone to help pay for the new one. The money you save on prepaid compared to postpaid will help you buy phones at full price.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been a crackberry addict for several years as well - 8130, 8230, 9630, and now a 9850. I'm stuck on Verizon and I tried the HTC Trophy pre-Mango. To be honest, I LOVED it! The only sticking point was that it didn't support multiple Google calendars (as I said, this was pre-Mango) and I had to have that for work. I took it back VERY reluctantly and upgraded to my current BB 9850.

However, when my wife's contract came up, Mango had been released and I encouraged her to switch to the Trophy. She is still very pleased and I still am a bit envious. I stayed with BB for only a few reasons:
  1. I'm stuck with Verizon and while the Trophy is fine, I wanted to wait for a second generation device. We're ALL still waiting for that on Verizon!
  2. I have a BB PlayBook and the integration between the BB phones and tablet is great.
  3. The BB10 phones and the WP8 Apollo phones are both slated to be coming out at the end of this year. When my contract ends in June of next year, I'm hoping that Verizon will have a variety of each type of device to choose from.

What I found lacking in WP7 from my BBs was relatively small. I missed BB's sound profiles A LOT. I missed the handy flashing LED when I have a message waiting. I REALLY missed BB's Bedside Mode, as I have used my BB as my alarm clock for years.

I HATE that WP7 has a universal volume control, so that if you turn down the volume while listening to a song, you might not hear your phone ring if you forget to turn it back up. I HATE that the screen resolution is set in stone (for right now) so that a bigger screen means less pixel density. I HATE that storage is fixed and can't be upgradable with a microSD card.

Other than that, I really LOVE the WP7 OS. I have been drooling over the Lumia 900. Thank goodness that jumping to AT&T isn't an option for me, or I'd be VERY tempted to break my contract! Now, if Verizon ever comes out with that almost mythical WP7/WP8 superphone with LTE this fall, all bets are off! A man can only have so much self control, after all! ;)

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
With regard to email, that has been the weakest feature I've experienced on the HTC Trophy; sometimes new emails won't load without manually syncing the device. I've also had to manually delete emails in my Hotmail web browser and on the Trophy to get the email delivery working again. I'm not sure if the problems are a specific to my device issue (my problems have been with Hotmail, and I have 3 email accounts total loaded, along with my LinkedIn account), a Trophy issue, an HTC issue, or a Windows Phone issue. (It could also be a carrier issue, but I think that's less likely.). Besides the email issues, I really like the Windows Phone OS and think it is miles better than Blackberry 7 OS. (I also have a Blackberry Bold 9930, but I've only had that for a month and had it on an active phone line for 2 weeks.)

BTW, I also own a Blackberry PlayBook, and in comparing QNX to Windows Phone OS, I like WP better but like both of them a lot. My concerns with BB BBX/10 are 1) the possible lack of developer support for BB 10, especially with the partial, built-in support for Android (which I think will discourage native QNX/10 OS app development) and 2) RIM's continued problems with integrating BES into the PlayBook email client, which may foreshadow problems with integrating it into BB 10 and lead to a reduced email experience on BB 10 relative to BB 7 and earlier versions. Having said the above, the PlayBook does get LED notifications (in fact, I'm getting one as I type this :)).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes