Cannot update apps after 8107.79 forced update.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a quantum and used the MFG to change me mobile operator to get the update and then back again. All currently installed apps work fine, but when an update comes and I try to download it it downloads but then doesn't install and now the app is 'stuck' in a mode where when you press/hold all the options to pin or delete are all grayed out along with the app icon.

I've tried to reinstall from the marketplace website, reboot the phone, turn off WiFi and try with 3G, all that stuff, to no avail.

Hopefully someone has a better idea how I can get this back working, and without a factory reset, although I think that might be the only option.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a quantum and used the MFG to change me mobile operator to get the update and then back again. All currently installed apps work fine, but when an update comes and I try to download it it downloads but then doesn't install and now the app is 'stuck' in a mode where when you press/hold all the options to pin or delete are all grayed out along with the app icon.

I've tried to reinstall from the marketplace website, reboot the phone, turn off WiFi and try with 3G, all that stuff, to no avail.

Hopefully someone has a better idea how I can get this back working, and without a factory reset, although I think that might be the only option.

I haven't heard of people messing with their phones branding to force the update. I though they just used this: [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List: 7.10.8107 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates - xda-developers

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but this is much easier....doesn't address the main question though...do you think I'm SOL?.

Yeah definitely looks easier.. lol

I don't know. Never seen this method used. Probably need a hard reset or maybe the update downloaded the wrong cabs or something.

Last edited:

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I did a full reset and just have to install my apps again, not that big of a deal really. But in general yes, it was much easier to change one key in the registry than go through all the hoops of the .xda stuff.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I did a full reset and just have to install my apps again, not that big of a deal really. But in general yes, it was much easier to change one key in the registry than go through all the hoops of the .xda stuff.

what hoops? you download a couple of files and then run a batch file. oh and you also don't have to reset your device.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You know, it's funny really. You come and ask for advice/opinion on a fix to something and all you get is advice/opinions to change the past or get criticised for your method however valid it is (quite possibly I did the registry change wrong, I'm only human..).

I might suggest that if you want to reply to a post, you actually address the present and the issue at hand and not something that cannot be undone or 'corrected' to your method.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I can think of is after you got the updates when you re-branded you possibly entered a string wrong. I went through MFG and have been updating apps flawlessly thus far.

slinky826

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're on AT&T, make sure the you put the proper string in, ATT-US. I used this method back in January and it worked flawlessly. I've been getting app updates as well. Only thing noticeably absent is the AT&T app store from the marketplace.

And I did try the cab loader with no success first, which is why I used the MFG method instead. Its easy and there is no need for any external files.

slinky826

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, not sure what to say then. As I said, I did this back in January with no issues. Keep us updated on whether or no your apps keep updating.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, not sure what to say then. As I said, I did this back in January with no issues. Keep us updated on whether or no your apps keep updating.

Will do, thanks Slinky. Reinstalling my apps wasn't a big deal, I keep a trim phone. :)

Still have the .8107 update too!

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
If you're on AT&T, make sure the you put the proper string in, ATT-US. I used this method back in January and it worked flawlessly. I've been getting app updates as well. Only thing noticeably absent is the AT&T app store from the marketplace.

And I did try the cab loader with no success first, which is why I used the MFG method instead. Its easy and there is no need for any external files.

Your AT&T Featured is gone? I'm looking at mine right now.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You know, it's funny really. You come and ask for advice/opinion on a fix to something and all you get is advice/opinions to change the past or get criticised for your method however valid it is (quite possibly I did the registry change wrong, I'm only human..).

I might suggest that if you want to reply to a post, you actually address the present and the issue at hand and not something that cannot be undone or 'corrected' to your method.

hard to troubleshoot methods like this. Even harder to do it on the amount of information given. Can you please tell us the exactly what steps you followed? Seems like the phone is still not properly rebranded. Could possibly still cause issues later

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Your AT&T Featured is gone? I'm looking at mine right now.
Yes, the 8107 update that wasn't approved by ATT causes the Featured section to be wiped...at least that's what happened on my phone. I posted a picture in another thread :)

As I recall, it did stick around for a little while, then it was gone. When I side-load Nokia's apps file, it will show as "Nokia Apps" and then revert back to "Samsung Zone" after a day or so. But ATT's Featured Apps has never come back on my Focus...

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the 8107 update that wasn't approved by ATT causes the Featured section to be wiped...at least that's what happened on my phone. I posted a picture in another thread :)

As I recall, it did stick around for a little while, then it was gone. When I side-load Nokia's apps file, it will show as "Nokia Apps" and then revert back to "Samsung Zone" after a day or so. But ATT's Featured Apps has never come back on my Focus...

is there a connection setup type app like HTC has? Updating to 8107 shouldn't make anything carrier specific disappear. It should be from the method used such as debranding. The only thing I can think of would be trying the rebranding steps again. I'm not sure if a stock ruu would fix that.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's the "debranding" that actually nukes it, thanks for the reminder :) Although I use quotes around debranding because it actually doesn't debrand anything but what the phone shows as carrier brand.

Yes, Samsungs have Network Profile (1st gen devices) and Wireless Manager (2nd gen). Problem is, when trying it on my Focus, it gives an error that the phone is locked to the carrier and it can't be used :dry Wireless Manager works just fine on the S.

This branding discussion is probably only valid on Samsungs, also. It seems a hard reset fixed it for the OP, but I can't use any ATT apps anyway. Someone else can be the guinea pig :p

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Oh I just noticed you have a Focus, I was was under the assumption you too used MFG on a Quantum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes