Car Stereo

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just broke my car's stereo and I am looking to get a new one. What should I be looking for in a stereo that will give me the best compatibility with my 900? I've always used the old school method of using a cassette adapter to play music from my phone. Since that isn't going to be an option, I would love to do that wirelessly. Any extra handsfree options for calls and text messaging would be nice also. I am not set on a price point so any help is very much appreciated!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
get something with a usb or aux in... there are bluetooth stereos, but for me good old fashioned auxilary works the best... ive also heard that usb connectivity will give you better sound than aux (debatable ) but that windows phones have issues with usb connecting... i cant confirm this though

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
USB+ AUX+ Bluetooth.

Have your text messages read and reply to them. Also have the ability to play music off USB sticks or off your phone via Bluetooth OR AUX cable.

Go for all 3 options

Personally i have a focus S which apparently makes a popping sound when changing songs... This only happens on the AUX cable. So.. I use bluetooth to save my speakers

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a cheap Dual brand radio with BlueTooth connectivity in one of my project vehicles for now. I've never really tried tying it in with a USB cable, even though I carry one with me. I'll try that and see if it works.
BT always seemed to work well for me. About the only issue I ever have is with streaming apps such as iHeart Radio not always wanting to connect to the server when driving. I always seem to find dead spots even though cellular service is fine.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for help! Kind of sounds like I should just get as many connectivity options as possible and see what works best.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth is the best option for Windows Phone. WP won't output audio over USB and won't accept commands over AUX. Bluetooth will allow you to use your car stereo to browse music, make calls, etc. If you use AYX you have to use your phon's screen for that, which is illegal in a lot of places

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Bluetooth is the best option for Windows Phone. WP won't output audio over USB and won't accept commands over AUX. Bluetooth will allow you to use your car stereo to browse music, make calls, etc. If you use AYX you have to use your phon's screen for that, which is illegal in a lot of places

TellMe works fine over AUX. That's how I used to do it, before getting a Motorola Roadster (Bluetooth).

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
TellMe works fine over AUX. That's how I used to do it, before getting a Motorola Roadster (Bluetooth).

Yes, you are correct and that is what I do. However, in many locations (including my own shhh), even that is illegal. You are not allowed to touch your phone at all while driving. If you use Bluetooth you can accomplish this because you can control and browse your music on the screen of your stereo instead of you phone (doesn't make sense to me). AUX works, and that is what I use, but Bluetooth is better, particularly if you live in an area where operating your phone at all is illegal.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Again, Thanks everyone who posted on this topic. I installed an Alpine CDE-133BT stereo today in my car; just finished a little bit ago. Bluetooth works awesome with my 900. It loaded my contacts easily and calls sounded great. Haven't tried music with it yet but I'm guessing that will sound great also. I would HIGHLY recommend this stereo if anyone needs a suggestion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes