No wonder why Windows Phone can't barely grab marketshare

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There needs to be a balance between choice and focus. Too focused, and there aren't enough to choose from. Too many choices and things lose focus.

Personally, I think there should be somewhere between 2 and 4 devices per carrier.

Something I learned in sales a long time ago. Never offer a customer between one product, and the door. So currently, at least w/ Verizon & Sprint, (ideal world here, I understand what it's actually like in their stores) at best the customer is offered the choice between a WP and one from "the other guys". What you really want is to offer a choice between WP "A" and WP "B".

BTW - Next time you go buy some shoes, see if the sales person comes from the back room with one or two pair of shoes, even if it's the same thing in a half size different. :D

2-4 Sounds low.

Really, there should be more. There is no loss in focus as long as every device has its niche. For example one phone may have superior camera hardware to other devices, so it is worth it to stock it even when you have a ton of other phones running the same or similar hardware. The MT4G nad Amaze 4G on T-Mobile were good examples of that, as was the Vivid on AT&T and Rezound on Verizon Wireless. In from the same OEM, a device may be totally worth stocking because it offers something that may appeal to consumers that other phones do not.

If you go by general form factors:

Portrait QWERTY
Landscape QWERTY
Small-Mid Touch Screen (3.5-4")
Larger Touchscreen (4.3-4.8")
Phablet (5.3-5.5")
Tablet (7-10.1")

Gives you 6 opportunities to carry a device a different segment of consumers will want.

And that's not even taking into account devices that may be targetted at some types of prosumers (i.e. phones with ridiculously good cameras or PMP functionality).

There is nothing wrong with flooding the market. It means you will be able to appeal to more consumers than if you stick with only one form-factor. Not many companies can stick to one form factor and perform like Apple does with the iPhone. Most have to go whereever they can to get at those customers.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The way for Microsoft to combat Android is to exploit the weaknesses that Android cannot change. Like the ridiculous inconsistency of the UI, different skins for different OEMs, Carrier bloatware, bugginess, an overly complicated structure, unreliability.
The problem is, the UI is not inconsistent (OEM Skins are not supposed to be consistent with each other, and the major ones from Samsung and HTC have a ton of value in them so users simply never mind that they're there), bloatware is uninstallable and disablable in ICS/JB by default, it's not really that buggy (nothing compared to the keyboard bug Mango had for over half a year), end users do not see any complication, and it's far from unreliable.

Microsoft had a perfect chance to attack android when WP7 was released. This was back when Android was going from Eclair to FroYo and things like Push Notifications weren't even standardized on Android, nevermind hardware accelleration. There were still a ton of devices being pushed out with absolutely terrible hardware. Developer support on Android wasn't near what it is today and there were literally no Android tablets on the market.

Things have changed since then.

And many users are convinced that the grass isn't greener on the other side, so trying to get them to switch - period - is a huge challenge. People do not like platform migrations unless they feel the inevitable is upon them (see RIM).

Also the term Bloatware is a bit of a misnomer these days with them being so easy to remove/disable and phones now starting to ship with 2GB RAM and tons of App Space. Most users simply don't care.

The main complaint about bloatware stemmed from back in the day when phones shipped with miniscule amounts of App Storage and hardly any RAM in them.

Yes, it hurts on your HTC Aria or Samsung Jack that had 256-384MB RAM (less app accessible) and 200-400 App Storage space. Pretty much doesn't matter on the 1-2GB RAM 16-64GB Storage beasts shipping these days.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Good points everyone.

I think the hardware quantity is really lacking. If they were to just increase the hardware on Verizon to the same amount that's on AT&T that would put them in a better advantage. The advertising, like someone else noted, should directly point out the advantages it has over the competition. If not that, heavily push how natural the ecosystem flows in daily use. And last but not least, keep the dev support momentum going

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Good points everyone.

I think the hardware quantity is really lacking. If they were to just increase the hardware on Verizon to the same amount that's on AT&T that would put them in a better advantage. The advertising, like someone else noted, should directly point out the advantages it has over the competition. If not that, heavily push how natural the ecosystem flows in daily use. And last but not least, keep the dev support momentum going

Verizon is on the come up a lot of users going there a lot of new activations great time to get some awesome WP8 over there

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to go after the Android crowd. If I was Ballmer I would be licking my lips knowing I can grab at least 25% of that Marketshare.

I mean if you really break it down and divide Androids crazy marketshare how many of that 50% are low-end, mid-range, high-end phones. I know for a fact atleast maybe 20% of those users use High End phones the rest are the ****ty low-end phones with cheap contracts.

WP > Android low end so I know for a fact WP can grab atleast 25%

Also I wouldn't even bother going after iPhones directly I would capitalize on their mistakes.

For example

Not enough iPhone 5's this fall no worries Apple fans try Windows 8, Phone 8 get both of them for 600$ plus a Free Xbox 360 for making the switch :)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The problem is, the UI is not inconsistent (OEM Skins are not supposed to be consistent with each other, and the major ones from Samsung and HTC have a ton of value in them so users simply never mind that they're there), bloatware is uninstallable and disablable in ICS/JB by default, it's not really that buggy (nothing compared to the keyboard bug Mango had for over half a year), end users do not see any complication, and it's far from unreliable.

Microsoft had a perfect chance to attack android when WP7 was released. This was back when Android was going from Eclair to FroYo and things like Push Notifications weren't even standardized on Android, nevermind hardware accelleration. There were still a ton of devices being pushed out with absolutely terrible hardware. Developer support on Android wasn't near what it is today and there were literally no Android tablets on the market.

Things have changed since then.

And many users are convinced that the grass isn't greener on the other side, so trying to get them to switch - period - is a huge challenge. People do not like platform migrations unless they feel the inevitable is upon them (see RIM).

Also the term Bloatware is a bit of a misnomer these days with them being so easy to remove/disable and phones now starting to ship with 2GB RAM and tons of App Space. Most users simply don't care.

The main complaint about bloatware stemmed from back in the day when phones shipped with miniscule amounts of App Storage and hardly any RAM in them.

Yes, it hurts on your HTC Aria or Samsung Jack that had 256-384MB RAM (less app accessible) and 200-400 App Storage space. Pretty much doesn't matter on the 1-2GB RAM 16-64GB Storage beasts shipping these days.

It's not hard getting people to switch. Out of the many and many Android users out there how many do you think of them use a Windows PC and a Xbox 360?

The ecosystem will sell Windows Phone I have faith in the platform not so much in the marketing department :(

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
As someone with one foot in the Android world and one in the Windows phone world. I don't MS will go after Android anytime soon, as they make more Money off of it, than they do Windows phone, or so I have read while back, and MicroSoft likes Money.

The Blitz will have to come with the release of WP8, They will have to have a series of Consumer Apps, and I would say focused on ease of use and reliability. (and lets hope that smooth Windows Phone OS stays that way after the switch to NT Kernel), and Business focused adds. The Corporate focused adds should focus (these will be print and drive time radio on selected stations during rush hour), on MS integration and security features. Contrast with the attitude that Apple has for business which is screw you, your employees like us anyway and will force you to use Apple.

they should also give sweetheart deals to companys with site licenses, get the phone in more peoples hands, the more they use it the more they will like and my buy them for their families at contract time.

rakeshrai

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Dude, you nailed it. Post of the year, man.

I can imagine the ads already. The commercials could feature a well-known actor that talks about how crappy the Android experience is, all while snacking on jellybeans. ;)

I don't know..kinda disagree. I think it's risky when you bring down another competitor's product that way. The 'i'm a mac and i'm a PC' ad came off as douchbag-ish. You're saying to all the Android users that you've made a wrong choice.

Plus the first few Windows phone ads were anti-iphone.

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The way for Microsoft to combat Android is to exploit the weaknesses that Android cannot change. Like the ridiculous inconsistency of the UI, different skins for different OEMs, Carrier bloatware, bugginess, an overly complicated structure, unreliability.

If I were Microsoft, I would run some relentless anti-Android commercials similar to what Apple ran against Microsoft in the past. Showing how much simpler Windows Phone is versus the chaotic mess of Android.

Sure the Android fan boys will make fun and say Windows Phone is for dummies, just like the anti-Apple crowd did, but those people are going to use Android no matter what ANYWAY. I think ads like that will really reach people who have already owned Android phones and had mixed results with them or like me, hate the *#&$# things. There are MILLIONS of people like that out there and most of them think their only other option is an iPhone.

A controversial series of ads directly targeting Android like that would get Microsoft a lot of attention and press because:

A.) It's completely out of character for Microsoft, it will be totally unexpected and out of left field and that would get the media and people talking about Windows Phone in a way that all of Microsofts nerdy and awkward product presentations NEVER will.

B.) There are millions of people out there who will immediately identify with what it is like to be frustrated with an Android phone. Millions of people have owned at least one cheap, buggy Android. A light will go off in their heads as soon as they see the right ad.

C.) It will infuriate Android fanboys, building a wave of free publicity, and Google will do nothing to counter the ads, because they don't get involved in advertising Android and because they CAN'T. The vast majority of users do not give a crap about all the geeky **** you can do with an Android, even if they put that in an ad, it would fail

Microsoft can afford to take liberties with the truth and exaggerate the bugginess and complexity of Android for comedic effect, that's how commercials work and like I said, Google/Android can't and won't do a damn thing to counter it.

I'm convinced that an ad campaign like that with some serious Microsoft money behind it, combined with a continued push for developers and OEMs to innovate will gain Microsoft some significant marketshare.

1.) Snarky, funny, bold advertising that hits Android right in the nuts.
2.) Killer applications
3.) Innovative phones, new bold designs like the Lumia 800/900 that you can't get anywhere else but WINDOWS PHONE.

As for the iPhone, I think going after it directly would be a waste of energy. Here's why:

A.) The iPhone is always going to naturally limit it's marketshare by only offering one model of phone at a time.

B.) Many casual iPhone users are fiercely loyal and invested in the platform in a way that only the most hardcore Android fans are. I think it will be much easier to sway people from the Android camp than the iPhone camp, it's a better target.

C.) Android is the growing behemoth in market share. It's the one to go after and it's got some critical weaknesses in terms of the average user that will be easy to exploit. The iPhone is the opposite, it's only real weaknesses are obscure "walled garden" restrictions that almost no one who isn't a power user (a very small percentage of overall smartphone users) care about.

Ignore the iPhone. Go after Android with a vengeance. :cool:
It would be the #DroidRage giveaways that they did on Twitter but more to the masses. The Cure to #DroidRage, Windows Phone 8.

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to go after the Android crowd. If I was Ballmer I would be licking my lips knowing I can grab at least 25% of that Marketshare.

I mean if you really break it down and divide Androids crazy marketshare how many of that 50% are low-end, mid-range, high-end phones. I know for a fact atleast maybe 20% of those users use High End phones the rest are the ****ty low-end phones with cheap contracts.

Also I wouldn't even bother going after iPhones directly I would capitalize on their mistakes.

For example

Not enough iPhone 5's this fall no worries Apple fans try Windows 8, Phone 8 get both of them for 600$ plus a Free Xbox 360 for making the switch :)
I'm sure there a good reason why Microsoft stores are all near Apple stores. Those notorious line ups are a great way to market your goods to people. On release day of iProducts you could blitz those lines and probably make a few sales from people tired of waiting or being disappointed when the stock runs out.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone would seem to prove this point, but it's got an iconic sort of wunder-product desirability halo around it that no other single model of phone can replicate.

The sheer volume of Android phones though, has much to do with their success. When you walk into a store and 80% of what you see is Android and there is a huge variety of form factors and different brands (something Blackberry does not come close to equaling) it's no wonder.

I maintain that most people still do not buy Android's because they want Android. They walk into a store and they look at phones. If they don't already KNOW they want an iPhone, then they have excellent odds of winding up with an Android because you can't get away from them.

Phone stores are like a shell game with 10 shells and there's an Android phone under 8 of them. :dry

You have no clue what you are talking about. Market driven is other way around......

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I wish more carriers present their products similar to how Gamestop does. When you walk into a gamestop you see a separate section for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Hopefully carriers should follow the same formula.

That's actually a great idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
WP is brand new it needs to flood the market in order to breakthrough.

Windows 8, Xbox, Office, Surface should help WP needs to backbone off the momentum of other MS products.

What about Microsoft dropping support for Exchange on Android and iPhone?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Love it when this community gets jacked up on a post!!

Is it strange for me to hate the idea of a negative Android set of adds, but at the same time agree with it? I mean Sammy sure took swipes at a .... Cough, cough... "unnamed device" during their GS2 and Note "Next big thing" sets of commercials, and they sure worked. Why not?

But, ANY cohesive advertising campaign would be great. That has just been sorely lacking.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
What about Microsoft dropping support for Exchange on Android and iPhone?

Never going to happen. Exchange is another Trojan horse to the Windows World. People love Outlook so much when I showed them Outlook on my Lumia they were impressed.

First thing they say "where do I get that" and if its not available they say "why aren't we on Rogers I want a Nokia"

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Never going to happen. Exchange is another Trojan horse to the Windows World. People love Outlook so much when I showed them Outlook on my Lumia they were impressed.

First thing they say "where do I get that" and if its not available they say "why aren't we on Rogers I want a Nokia"

I never looked at it like that. Where's Outlook on the Lumia 900? Sorry, but I'm a rookie in the WP 7.5 world.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

For example

It would probably be something like buy a surface or win8 PC and get a free windows phone.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Market the OS better.

And I just don't buy that most people go into a store and buy something just because a sales person tells them to or there is more of the product in the store than any other. We live in the internet age where there is no excuse for not knowing what's out there. So my take is that people just buy the s@@t they want to buy.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Market the OS better.

And I just don't buy that most people go into a store and buy something just because a sales person tells them to or there is more of the product in the store than any other. We live in the internet age where there is no excuse for not knowing what's out there. So my take is that people just buy the s@@t they want to buy.

My take on marketing.

OEM and carrier's responsibility of marketing the phone
Microsoft responsibility of marketing the ecosystem

I agree more feature specific ads are needed for example a ad aimed specifically for Nokia Drive or Xbox Music etc but in my honest opinion better carrier presentation will help a lot more.

Try getting a dedicated section just for Windows Phones and load it up with different handsets, accessories and brochures. People can take a brochure to go which explains a lot more about a Windows Phone than a non WP salesman.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon