Kind of glad I stuck with wp7 on my L900...

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Because every day I open wpcentral forums it literally page after page after page of people complaining about wp8 phones yet venturing onto wp7 forums and saying "time to switch". My gf has a 920 and what a piece of poop! It crashes all the time, dirt in the lens cover, scratches on the screen etc.. So in conclusion, tell me (besides lock screen apps), why should we upgrade?

Orlok1138

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm in no hurry. Of course I love my L900 so im with it as long as possible. Might even get another when this one dies, who knows?

hoosiers7120

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't had a single problem with my lumia 920. Every piece of hardware is prone to some damage. Nothing is perfect and you might have gotten a bad unit. My phone has not crashed once since I bought it back in November from Rogers. You are missing out on the new innovation and technology that is in the 920. I don't think I have to list what it is because its pretty obvious. At the end of the day its a personal choice.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 7.5 with no hurry to go to 8. Too many features I like in Tango are missing in WP8. Perhaps after the next update; we'll see.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I would like screen capture in 7.x and the graphic EQ but otherwise the performance between the 900 and 920 is very marginal at best, so far the only faster loading I have noticed is facebook and fruit ninja, otherwise they are equal inmost respects.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Good for you!! Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

On the other hand I am so glad I moved on to L920 and WP8. The phone is just amazing and the OS improvements are great! It is also faster than any of the WP7 phones I tried. :D

Last edited:

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in no hurry to upgrade either, especially since I'm running a fully unlocked ROM (not possible yet on WP8 since nobody's figured out how to bypass UEFI secure boot). I'm hoping that the updates scheduled for later this year will finally give me a compelling reason to upgrade.

Btw, I read that custom ROMs are starting to become a reality for the L900. You might want to check into that once some stable ROMs start appearing. Having a fully unlocked phone helps fill in some of the features that are still missing even from WP8.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm in no hurry to upgrade either, especially since I'm running a fully unlocked ROM (not possible yet on WP8 since nobody's figured out how to bypass UEFI secure boot). I'm hoping that the updates scheduled for later this year will finally give me a compelling reason to upgrade.

Btw, I read that custom ROMs are starting to become a reality for the L900. You might want to check into that once some stable ROMs start appearing. Having a fully unlocked phone helps fill in some of the features that are still missing even from WP8.

isn't it like a hundred bucks to dev unlock or is there another way to load custom roms mate?

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Good for you!! Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

On the other hand I am so glad I moved on to L920 and WP8. The phone is just amazing and the OS improvements are great! It is also faster than any of the WP7 phones I tried. :D

um nope, just stating the obvious,wp8 seems to be in need of a fumigator to deal with the bugs whereas my 900 runs like a dream...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
isn't it like a hundred bucks to dev unlock or is there another way to load custom roms mate?

I'm not sure what the process is for any other phones including the L900, you'd probably have to take a look around XDA for that. But for first gen HTC phones like my Trophy, you don't need a dev unlock to install custom ROMs.

By the way, dev unlock is not the same thing as a full unlock. All that a dev unlock really allows you to do is sideload apps. A full unlock is gained by installing a custom ROM and it gives you full root access to the phone, giving you much more power.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I own a L800 and received a L920 from work. I actually prefer the L800. I see no compelling reason to move to WP8 at this time. There are few features WP8 has that WP7 doesn't. The few extra features WP8 does have I find utterly unimportant or half-baked. WP7 actually does a few things better, not to mention WP8's stability problems.

I'd likely feel different if I owned a Gen1 WP7 device, where the performance advantage of WP8 hardware is more pronounced.

As it is now, the main difference is in the promise of WP8... it will improve over time, whereas WP7 will remain pretty much the way it is.

So in conclusion, tell me (besides lock screen apps), why should we upgrade?

You shouldn't. Although many geeks will see incremental improvements to hardware as a valid reason to upgrade, the value proposition of a smartphone is in the software. My recommendation is that you stick with WP7 until you see some must-have app that is exclusive to WP8, or WP8 receives an update that vastly improves its value over WP7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon