Timer and stopwatch in windows phone 8.1?

vincelin

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi I was wondering if windows 8.1 got a timer and stopwatch update, I've been watching reviews and haven't seen anything related to it, did they decide to add so many cool things, but forget a necessity on every smartphone? A timer and stopwatch? If there is such an update, a picture or video would be nice.

Thanks

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are already literally hundreds of timer/stopwatch apps in the Windows Phone store. I'm not sure why this feature would need to be included as part of the operating system.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I use quick timer

It can run 3 timers at a time

You can name each timer

It has quick time buttons I.e. 3, 5, 15 ... As default

Stop watch

I use it alot when I'm cooking at work. The 3 timers at once function is great for multi tasking.

Edit: read the post wrong. This is for wp8.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok then why is it built into IOS and ANDROID, if developers can make it themselves?

When you think about it and you see current trends in the mobile os' today, most people download third party apps for tools like stopwatch. Why really spend time and money on a function that a developer can make for your company indirectly without cost. It allows Microsoft to focus more on important issues.

Granted Microsoft has been slow on other features, but they have been going through some transitions within the company. Now it seems that Microsoft has their two feet on the ground, things may possibly move faster.

This also allows growth within the dev. community. It gives people the chance to be creative with code, which surfaces talent that Microsoft can use. Rudy Huyn would be an example of this situation.

Yeah, it would be great if there was one, but not necessarily needed. Theres an app for that ...

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I know there are 3rd party apps for alarms/timers/stopwatch and etc and they rarely look like a native app!

The first version of Windows 8 did not include an alarm/stopwatch/timer app but they fixed it...and it looks nice and consistent with the OS. Now contrast the native look with the look/feel of some 3rd party apps.

http://cdn.marketplaceimages.windowsphone.com/v8/images/86afe685-1562-49b5-bd36-83be1e8b1bf8

Perhaps MS will eventually get around to make their OS clocking apps have feature parity with their iOS/Android brethren : - )

timers8.png

Screenshot__7__verge_super_wide.png

Screenshot__5__verge_super_wide.png

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
It's needed because third party apps can only have alerts on the minute. So if you put a timer on at 18:00:30 for 10 minutes and let it run in the background, the alarm will actually go off after 9 minutes 30 seconds. That's not really very good. It's not that important to me, but it's just these little things that make WP feel too limited.

They should definitely have a similar app on wp to the windows 8.1 app.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Easy timer is my fav...simple, nice Metro interface and works flawlessly, even under the lock screen....

Been using it from the WP7 days, and trust me if you want a simple good one, check it out...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2